Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me explain.

Underneath our emotional outpours of idealism, are we also very cynical thinkers when we look at the world at large?

I tend to think that because of our unique emotional capacity to understand and be aware of human suffering, we tend to rationalize and even reanalyze many of the problems faced by humanity. Although we often express our understanding in melancholic form, we tend to reevaluate and strengthen values so that we will eventually attain logical solutions that can be realigned with the bigger picture of things.

Are we really just over rational cynics underneath our fluffy exterior?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've noticed this about myself and its made me question my F. When confronted with a personal situation, I can only be emotional and hope for the most wonderful outcome. If thinking about the world at large, its easy for me to say "It would be more practical for these people to die in order to prevent this from happening." But if I knew one of those people, I would totally be, "NO! Don't die!" At the same die, I would understand why they had to.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I'm kind of the opposite...I can have a cool or aloof exterior (more noticeable in person), and I can seem overly critical of the world. I think being idealists, there is a constant comparison of our inner sense of perfection and the flawed reality of the world. However, deep down, being an idealist, I always think that these ideals will win out. I always hold hope for the future. So, I'm soft, emotional, and pretty romantic at heart.

I do agree there is a constant re-evaluating of sorts. The core ideals stay the same, but what branches off from them is adjusted to make them workable in reality. My ideals always feel sure, immovable, yet fluid at the same time. It's like water - it's H20 no matter the container, but it takes on the form of its container, unless that container is not adequate, then it overflows or seeps out, much like our Fi does when the external conditions fail to meet an important value.

So yeah, you have to pull back and focus on the big picture so your ideals don't get too rigid and detached from reality, because that's when you become cynical - you lose hope.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think a lot of INFPs have a very cynical core or at least a very cynical aspect to them, but for a lot, one of the following happens:

1. We deny it because we want to be "better" than that

or

2. We buy into other people's interpretation of us that we are naive, idealistic, hopelessly romantic, etc.

Reactions: Raichan

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think for me personally it has just been a matter of gaining experience as I grow older and going through bad times in life. You can be an idealist while being a realist and understanding that not everything can be done instantly for everyone to live in harmony and wonderfulness and teddy bears. And you can also witness the evil in the world and understand it is there and process that. I think the idealism part of INFPs can just help in what you do with your time here in the world and the beauty you get to see the world for as well as inner motivation to achieve great things; it doesn't necessarily have to mean you view the world with rose-colored glasses in regard to the very real bad things out there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
This topic made me chuckle.

I'm definitely a cynical thinker under my Fi, over my Fi, every which way.

...That doesn't mean that my occasional fluffiness or my strong positive feelings are fake or forced.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i'm skeptical...some doubt is nesscary, cause we can't really be certain of anything!

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I'm kind of the opposite...I can have a cool or aloof exterior (more noticeable in person), and I can seem overly critical of the world. I think being idealists, there is a constant comparison of our inner sense of perfection and the flawed reality of the world. However, deep down, being an idealist, I always think that these ideals will win out. I always hold hope for the future. So, I'm soft, emotional, and pretty romantic at heart.

I do agree there is a constant re-evaluating of sorts. The core ideals stay the same, but what branches off from them is adjusted to make them workable in reality. My ideals always feel sure, immovable, yet fluid at the same time. It's like water - it's H20 no matter the container, but it takes on the form of its container, unless that container is not adequate, then it overflows or seeps out, much like our Fi does when the external conditions fail to meet an important value.

So yeah, you have to pull back and focus on the big picture so your ideals don't get too rigid and detached from reality, because that's when you become cynical - you lose hope.

I am love with your writing style. Your posts always have a dignified, eloquent quality about it. Just wanted to thank you OrangeAppled!

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
^ Aw, thanks :blushed:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts