Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Fairly new to the forums, where I've been dabbling between MBTI, Sociology and Enneagrams.

Enneagrams have caught a particular curiosity of mine, but I'm afraid I've been having trouble reading how they are presented.

The first test I ever took concluded with the result of 4w5. I only knew this because it told me directly.

Now, I have a knack for taking multiple tests of the same type to challenge my initial results--'Just how differently will each of these represent me?'

The past two out of three test results have brought me to raise a brow, particularly because of how the calculations have all added up.

I'll make this easy and paste the images so it can be interpreted as I saw it.

These are the two different test results placed next to each other.

My initial thought was "I'm a 4w9?!", as both show this to be a 'possible' outcome, but I've also read somewhere that if the second result is not an adjacent number, then this is not how it is to be read. So how does this work, then? Am I balanced between 4 and 9 by percent? What are my wings if not, or even if so?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much else on that, so I was curious as to whether or not any kind members of the Enneagram community might be able to help me better understand what type this might be implying I am. I've only been studying this for maybe a few days at most, so I still have a bit to learn, and any info would help incredibly.

Thank you in advance. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
The wing is the stronger adjacent number, even if it's weaker than something else. It's not meant to be your "second strongest" type, but rather a "flavor" of your core type. So 4w5 is the 4 with a 5-ish flavor.

There is another concept in Enneagram, though, called the tritype. The types are divided into triads in various ways, but the main triad divisions are the feeling/image/shame triad (2, 3, 4), thinking/head/fear triad (5, 6, 7), and the instinct/gut/anger triad (8, 9, 1). The way the tritype works is that you choose the strongest one from each of these categories. For example, according to your first results, this would be 4w5-9w8-5w6 or -6w5. Some people like the tritype because it adds nuance to their core type, and others don't because Enneagram states that you already have all the types, but one of them is stronger than the others. So it's up to you whether you want to use it.

Also, don't take the test results too seriously. They're meant to point you in the right direction, but you ultimately have to verify it by reading the descriptions and choosing what fits you best. Reading about your true Enneatype is going to be a little uncomfortable at first, and you might not like to think of yourself as that type, as it's meant to reveal the fears that you act on compulsively on a daily basis. It will take a lot of self-observation to arrive at the correct type.

Hope that helped and good luck!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
What the above poster said is very helpful!

However, I would not take tests too seriously. Whenever I take the enneagram test, I ALWAYS test as a 4w5, and I'm a 4w3. It also wants me to be 4 - 5 - 9, which just isn't me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wing is the stronger adjacent number, even if it's weaker than something else. It's not meant to be your "second strongest" type, but rather a "flavor" of your core type. So 4w5 is the 4 with a 5-ish flavor.

There is another concept in Enneagram, though, called the tritype. The types are divided into triads in various ways, but the main triad divisions are the feeling/image/shame triad (2, 3, 4), thinking/head/fear triad (5, 6, 7), and the instinct/gut/anger triad (8, 9, 1). The way the tritype works is that you choose the strongest one from each of these categories. For example, according to your first results, this would be 4w5-9w8-5w6 or -6w5. Some people like the tritype because it adds nuance to their core type, and others don't because Enneagram states that you already have all the types, but one of them is stronger than the others. So it's up to you whether you want to use it.

Also, don't take the test results too seriously. They're meant to point you in the right direction, but you ultimately have to verify it by reading the descriptions and choosing what fits you best. Reading about your true Enneatype is going to be a little uncomfortable at first, and you might not like to think of yourself as that type, as it's meant to reveal the fears that you act on compulsively on a daily basis. It will take a lot of self-observation to arrive at the correct type.

Hope that helped and good luck!

Haha, this makes so much more sense now. Thanks! And no worries--I don't generally take these seriously, hence why I have a tendency to challenge the sincerity behind the results. I guess it's a sense of testing 'integrity' of a sort. :) I was only really confused as to how one might read these if they wound up with similar percentages, but I understand much better now. Your explanation definitely helped. I appreciate it!

What the above poster said is very helpful!

However, I would not take tests too seriously. Whenever I take the enneagram test, I ALWAYS test as a 4w5, and I'm a 4w3. It also wants me to be 4 - 5 - 9, which just isn't me.
Haha, yep, I generally take these with a grain of salt unless I get multiples of the same result and feel like it really connects to my behavior. Even landing in 4 though, I'm already questioning how it's stated that receiving compliments is one of the strongest factors in getting along with me. :confused: Not the case at all! And reading over them, while I definitely seem to have some 4 traits, my fiance and I read over some of the other details, to which we both separately (though in unison) remarked and agreed that I seem more like a 5w6 with a strong tendency towards 9 traits too. So I'm pretty everywhere.

All in all though, it's a really interesting study and the structure is pretty fascinating. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Liriope and Doll

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Haha, yep, I generally take these with a grain of salt unless I get multiples of the same result and feel like it really connects to my behavior. Even landing in 4 though, I'm already questioning how it's stated that receiving compliments is one of the strongest factors in getting along with me. :confused: Not the case at all! And reading over them, while I definitely seem to have some 4 traits, my fiance and I read over some of the other details, to which we both separately (though in unison) remarked and agreed that I seem more like a 5w6 with a strong tendency towards 9 traits too. So I'm pretty everywhere.

All in all though, it's a really interesting study and the structure is pretty fascinating. Thanks for the help!
Haha! I love receiving compliments. I could listen to them all day.

It is a very interesting system. It has a lot of layers, which are so much fun to pick apart. You should look at the instinctual stackings next.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha! I love receiving compliments. I could listen to them all day.

It is a very interesting system. It has a lot of layers, which are so much fun to pick apart. You should look at the instinctual stackings next.
Haha, I can hardly do compliments, I never understood why. Most times I clam up and get all red and flustered and my instinctual reaction at that alone makes me mad so it always seems like I'm mad at the person for the compliment and then I'm going "OMG THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT I'M SO SORRY". My fiance got SO annoyed at this whenever we first met and he was trying to impress me. That made it so much more difficult. :p Was a funny little run-around!

And absolutely! Anything that has any sense of depth or layers easily becomes my bitter sweet obsession. *Sweatdrop* But I shall definitely use this to my advantage and take your advice! :) Thanks!

Reactions: Doll

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Haha, I can hardly do compliments, I never understood why. Most times I clam up and get all red and flustered and my instinctual reaction at that alone makes me mad so it always seems like I'm mad at the person for the compliment and then I'm going "OMG THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT I'M SO SORRY". My fiance got SO annoyed at this whenever we first met and he was trying to impress me. That made it so much more difficult. :p Was a funny little run-around!
Lmao!!! Just say thank you. Own it. :)

And absolutely! Anything that has any sense of depth or layers easily becomes my bitter sweet obsession. *Sweatdrop* But I shall definitely use this to my advantage and take your advice! :) Thanks!
I'm the same way! I like the enneagram because, while it is fun to make it even more complex, you can always go back to basics and it still makes sense. You really don't need anything aside from your core typing, but your wing, fixes, and instinctual stacking explain why you wouldn't be exactly like someone who identifies as the same type you do.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lmao!!! Just say thank you. Own it. :)
Haha, unfortunately much easier said than done for me. :p Most people I even slightly know are quite shocked if I even say thanks (which.... It's not that I'm not thankful for the compliment, I just.... Well... I make it more complicated than it has to be, obviously :v).

I'm the same way! I like the enneagram because, while it is fun to make it even more complex, you can always go back to basics and it still makes sense. You really don't need anything aside from your core typing, but your wing, fixes, and instinctual stacking explain why you wouldn't be exactly like someone who identifies as the same type you do.
Hoo man. Yeah, speaking of that, I'm actually looking into tritypes. I found a pretty detailed test/questionnaire ( http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/11/pstypes-enneagram-test.html ), and it actually seems fairly accurate (its conclusion was that I'm 5w4, which is what I'd settled on prior taking it because despite the artistic inclination I have, I tend to be more in touch with the positive and negative traits of 5 over all, though there are still plenty here convinced I'm 4w5).

Here's the result. Since I'm learning tritypes, I'm going to try and interpret them, but I could also be completely wrong. :I I really hope I'm catching on though.

Ok. So if I were to go down the lines judging by this, my most dominant type is 5, my second would be 9, and my third, 4, so... if I'm reading things correctly:

5 is most dominant, and the adjacent 4 is the highest in score between the two possible outcomes for a wing, so this would result in 5w4.

9 would be secondary, and going by the same pattern, it looks like it would have a wing of 1.

and 4 would be third, with the 5 adjacent having the highest count, thus resulting in a wing of 5(?). This is the one I'm most questionable towards, probably because of the fact that I'm not the most certain in how to structure this.

Would it essentially be 5w4, 9w1, 4w5? Or is there a certain order I have to follow regarding the structure of the sequence?

Hopefully I'm getting this. D:

@Liriope If you don't mind my asking, am I on the right track with this?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
@Dagan Eldr -

A type four will commonly test as 4 5 9. It is the way the tests are set up. I had the same results. I know, for sure, that I do not have a 5 fix.

What I would do is to look at each type in the following three groups. REALLY research them.

Heart = 3, 2, 4
Head = 5, 6, 7
Gut = 1, 9, 8

It would be each type from each group that would make your tritype. Don't look at wings or instincts. Look ONLY at these tyes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, that's technically how you would go about the tritype. But you have to make sure each core is from a different triad -- one from heart, one from head, and one from gut (which they are in this case). You place them in the order of how much you use them (i.e. the core type goes first and the other two follow).

Like Dae says, you should first make sure all the basics are accurate before adding on wings and subtypes. Reading about the triads can help narrow it down, so at this point, I would recommend starting there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Dagan Eldr -

A type four will commonly test as 4 5 9. It is the way the tests are set up. I had the same results. I know, for sure, that I do not have a 5 fix.

What I would do is to look at each type in the following three groups. REALLY research them.

Heart = 3, 2, 4
Head = 5, 6, 7
Gut = 1, 9, 8

It would be each type from each group that would make your tritype. Don't look at wings or instincts. Look ONLY at these tyes.
Yeah, I've been digging a LOT into the tritypes. If I'm understanding them correctly, they symbolize the basis of sequence in which one uses a dominant characteristic to act/react/compensate before using the other two in their preferred order. I hope I'm understanding that properly. I've got like 5 tabs open on tritype research right now. (My PC's RAM is screaming at me for having too many tabs open. :c)

Enneagram Centres

I think this one has been particularly informative in how these might work (sent to me by another helpful user in these forums after they pointed out something curious regarding my sociotype versus my MBTI that I'm still trying to figure out).

I've been reading a lot on the singular types, as well as the 495 tritype and the 594--best of and worst of, similarities and the slightest differences. I gotta say, 594 sounds scarily accurate, all the way to the things about me I'm not so proud to admit. 459 and 495 sound a bit like me, but only a bit, regarding the little differences in between, but they don't feel like they particularly connect.

Through that link, I've looked at each type and their general context, as well as their general insecurities. I won't deny that I've still got a lot of digging to do, but again, while I'm fairly artistically inclined, the process in which I go about things seems much more applicable under 5. I just seem to connect to it more, but of course I can't confine my personality to a web page, and shouldn't.

But yes, if I put this in the order that made the most sense to me personally, 549 seems logical if I'm processing that properly..... If.

Looks like I've got a lot of studying to do! \o/

Yes, that's technically how you would go about the tritype. But you have to make sure each core is from a different triad -- one from heart, one from head, and one from gut (which they are in this case). You place them in the order of how much you use them (i.e. the core type goes first and the other two follow).

Like Dae says, you should first make sure all the basics are accurate before adding on wings and subtypes. Reading about the triads can help narrow it down, so at this point, I would recommend starting there.
Thanks, both of you. You've definitely helped clear up the reading structure for me, that's for sure. While I have my guesses at my tritype, I've still got a lot to read in regards to the depth of each type before I'm certain, and probably a lot to read on the mind-heart-body bit as well, but this is definitely way more than I'd have figured out on my own.

I definitely appreciate that this forum has such helpful members! :)

Reactions: Doll and Liriope

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
@Dagan Eldr - Also, I just noticed your signature.

I'm Virgo sun, Scorpio rising, and Aquarius moon. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts