Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over and over I see tests asking questions such as: "do you have a messy room?", "Are you organized" (usually in a physical fashion they are alluding here), "Do you place things in their proper place", "Do you put tasks off etc. These are all behaviors, yet we are dealing with a cognitive placement theory.

Here's a quite from intjc (also applicable to other J/P dichotomies):
Misunderstanding the differences between J/P is one reason many people mistype. Many assessments and descriptions use environmental factors to differientiate Js from Ps. This often leads to inaccurate results. Having a messy room and putting off tasks to the last moment does not make one a P type. Many INTJs report being messy; probably a result of not placing a high priority on the external environment. Any type can put off tasks when they don’t find value in them or find them tedious.
I believe the differences arise in a cognitive preference for closure vs. openness; also, it suggests ones comfort with spontaneity vs. predictability(not the same as random and routine, respectively).

On openness and closure:
A perpetual need for closure (not saying you can't procrastinate) is at the hearts of most Js. Openness would be for P. Procrastination, while correlated, is not enough. Is the person more internally comfortable with the deal being sealed or the deal being tentative?

On Spontaneity:
One thing I have noticed is that Ps will generally feel more comfortable with unpredictable occurrences, even relishing in them. They are who would handle an unforeseen event because it requires an adaptability where closure is uncertain (something that would annoy a J).

Case in Point: My one friend (INTJ) and another (INTP) both forgot to hand in an assignment before a class in 20 minutes. The INTJ went into panic mode, while the INTP, seemingly realizing the same problem, was more relaxed and got it done 2 minutes before. He seemed almost energized and empowered by it while the other was overwhelmed. Oh, and the INTJs room is farrrrrrrr less clean than the INTPs :crazy:

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I prefer to focus on the introverted function rather than the extroverted function, using myself as an anchor. So you have the synthetic world of Pi, ready for forward action, and the analytic world of Ji, ready for sideways adaptation.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
There's nothing wrong with J/P alluding to openness vs closure-seeking (which is essentially how MBTI defines it as well). The issue that people have with it is, whether this variable should point to a function or rather be a descriptor of a disposition. Many (many) have argued that its inappropriate to always tie a J/P disposition to the dominant extraverted function (because the disconnectedness to the external environment that is mentioned about INTJs might very well be the result of their inferior Se and not their aux Te -- assuming Te is really their aux).

That being said I think its okay to use J/P as a descriptor, in much the same way you might use neuroticism or conscientiousness in the Five Factor Model, but I have often argued that it should not necessarily point to a definite extraverted function as the cause.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Agreed. After all, when you read about stuff like inferior Se types having issues with compulsive stimulation and ties to definite objects and whatnot - sort of bad sensory orientation (Jung), I can totally see why that might explain this better than Te or J/P. Frankly, I think I've experienced this before - sort of a feeling of lacking limitations for action - super weird and annoying, lol. Makes me feel like I'm going to do something weird (if you felt like that, you would find security in detachment as well).

·
Registered
545 Posts
http://personalityjunkie.com/03/judging-perceiving-ijs-ips/

the Judging and Perceiving dimension is probably the most confusing and misunderstood of the Myers-Briggs dichotomies. Jung himself did not use a J-P indicator for describing the types. The J-P indicator, that is, the last letter of the four-letter type designation, was added by Myers and Briggs as a sort of short-hand way of labeling the types. Unfortunately, many people are unaware of this and take the J-P label to mean something it does not. In actuality, the J-P label merely describes whether the first extraverted function in a given type’s functional stack is a Judging function (either Te or Fe) or a Perceiving function (either Ne or Se).

The J-P labeling system actually works fine for Extraverts, since their first extraverted function is also their dominant function. Hence, there is no confusion, for instance, in calling an ENFP a Perceiver or an ENTJ a Judger. This very accurately describes the dominant mode of operation for these types.

For introverted types, however, the J-P label can be a source of great confusion and misunderstanding. This is due to the fact that introverts’ first extraverted function is their auxiliary rather than their dominant function (see this post for an explanation of this). Because of this, the J-P designation of IPs and IJs fails to describe their dominant mode of functioning. Namely, IPs’ preferred and dominant mode of functioning is Judging (Fi or Ti) and IJs’ is Perceiving (Si or Ni). This is why IPs commonly mistype themselves as IJs and vice-versa

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well-put! Especially about the spontaneity thing. I procrastinate a lot, and am a J, but I usually have a sort of "scheduled" procrastination (as in: This assignment will take me an hour, it's okay to do it the hour before class). If I just outright forgot that assignment until an hour before class, I'd be a lot more distressed.

Also, I can be spontaneous, but in the way that I make my own sudden choices about what to do. Making an active, spontaneous choice doesn't bother me. Being stuck reacting spontaneously to something I didn't choose does. Friend calls and wants to see a movie in half an hour and I say sure = fine. My bus breaks down and I have to find another way home = not fine. I don't think anyone would enjoy the last scenario but I think a perceiver would be better equipped to deal with unexpected trouble.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
That's a very good treatment of the dichotomy. I always could identify with concepts like "closure", though I knew I did not demand it in the same way as the J's around me. It's internal closure, rather than external. But since external figures more directly in our interactions with others (including teams, etc). that is why Myers' figured the extraversion of the preferred function would be more important in the type.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
J/P is okay on it's own, but for understanding your type, it probably has nothing to do with it at all - it's more of a matter of surface level assumptions (or @Eric B better explains it under a different way of looking at it as just the difference in how certain functions merely appear to operate, which frankly, probably has no real outcome anyway (or that would just kind of be in the "projective" eye of the beholder), since type is just about ego rationalization - not anything greater than that, like, the kind of person you are, how truly judgmental you are, etc. Just because something appears a certain way doesn't mean it actually has outer repercussions that coincide with the assuptions behind a mere description of appearance - that's silly and pretty much stereotyping) . I mean, you may certainly get inferior Je types who are more influenced by Je than their dominant function (I think I know a handful who come off this way - after all, the inferior is a closer expression to the actual self than the dominant, so in all honesty, that would more likely relate to the actual temperaments and such of the Ti/Fi doms than their dominant, which is used for self-advancement purposes). Type would be just about how you organize conscious experience in a meaningful way, so the dominant might be the master of this to the point that you really feel no need to cling to it - in fact, it has probably been tamed so that it's not actually that influential to anything other than how you deal with the more primitive and untamed inferior, which tends to hold a ton of emotionally-loaded, almost unconscious influence over people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts