Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they say your dual is your ideal match, does that mean that you should be happier and healthier in a dual relationship than any other type of relationship? Or does it just mean that you understand each other better than other type combinations? I am pretty sure the most unhealthy couple that I know and I've been trying to analyze my whole life are in fact each others duals. Can anyone offer any insight?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
When they say your dual is your ideal match, does that mean that you should be happier and healthier in a dual relationship than any other type of relationship? Or does it just mean that you understand each other better than other type combinations? I am pretty sure the most unhealthy couple that I know and I've been trying to analyze my whole life are in fact each others duals. Can anyone offer any insight?
It means that duals tend to brighten up and soothe each others' moods. Duals can actually help each other to relieve stress.
If you're having a stressful day at work, just being around your dual is able to help recharge you. With your dual, both of you will be able to be your natural selves around each other, you don't have to change any aspects of yourself when you're around your dual.
Your dual completely accepts you as who you are.

I like having a dual nearby me. I often find myself able to open up about my inner feelings whenever I'm around them. If I'm having a tough day at work, I just need to confide in a dual about my tough day at work, and they will start saying things like, "Aww I'm sorry to hear about your tough day at work. Your boss sounds like an asshole. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

With other non-dual types, they will start bashing on me and start saying things like, "Stop being a spoilt-brat. Nobody likes their jobs. Everybody hates their job, but people work for money. You just have to suck it up and continue working your job until retirement."

See the difference here between talking to a dual type vs talking to a non-dual type? Talking to a non-dual type is like talking to a brick of wall.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
And I think subtypes is quite important too when it comes to duality.

If duals have compatible subtypes, they would find each other interesting and they will be very drawn to each other and they will click with each other very well and get close to each other naturally.
But if duals have incompatible subtypes, they would have a harder time moving past the acquaintance stage. The extrovert would write off the introvert as "dull and boring", while the introvert would find their extroverted counterpart "too good for them".

Reactions: Foxyfox

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It means that duals tend to brighten up and soothe each others' moods. Duals can actually help each other to relieve stress.
I get that feeling around my duals all the time. Since I recently learned how to spot them I look back and the connection or attraction (not just romantic) is definitely undeniable- But I know of a married dual couple who were actually characterized by violent abuse. They ruined each other in every sense of the word. So i'm trying to understand if its only the "ideal match" because they're supposed to understand each other like no other?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can Duality be somehow one-sided?
So one of the people helping the other person but not vice-versa?
Thats actually called the "benefit relationship". It is very frustrating to both parties involved because the "benefactor" won't accept the "help" that the beneficiary tries to naturally offer (since he has no use for it due to the way he's wired and what he wants out of life) and nobody wants to feel useless or not needed in a relationship.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 1w9 sp/sx
13,765 Posts
Thats actually called the "benefit relationship". It is very frustrating to both parties involved because the "benefactor" won't accept the "help" that the beneficiary tries to naturally offer (since he has no use for it due to the way he's wired and what he wants out of life) and nobody wants to feel useless or not needed in a relationship.
So real Duality is always automatically two-sided? And a beneficiary can help the benefactor with their mobilising function though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So real Duality is always automatically two-sided? And a beneficiary can help the benefactor with their mobilising function though.
Yes sirr.. You can almost feel "the understanding" in your duals eyes when you first meet- Almost at first glance.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I get that feeling around my duals all the time. Since I recently learned how to spot them I look back and the connection or attraction (not just romantic) is definitely undeniable- But I know of a married dual couple who were actually characterized by violent abuse. They ruined each other in every sense of the word. So i'm trying to understand if its only the "ideal match" because they're supposed to understand each other like no other?
Or could that couple be semi-duals instead? I find myself having these kind of "explosive" relationships with my semi-duals. They have the same dual effect on me, but at the same time, we also seemed to butt heads with each other quite a bit.
One moment we will fight each other like enemies, and the next moment we became super close again. This is what generally happens when I get too close to a semi-dual. If I'm interacting with my semi-dual at a distance, we actually get along quite well with each other. It's only when we start closing the distance then the "moth-to-flame" effects started happening.
With duals, things tend to be much calmer and less "explosive". There's totally no psychological gap with them at all. I can get really close to them without ending up in some fights with them. In fact, with duals, we rarely fight with each other, and even if we do, the disagreements doesn't last for long.

Semi-dual relationships are actually much more "exciting" as compared to dual relationships, given that semi-duals tend to have a slightly larger psychological gap and tend to fight more as compared to duals.
I would describe dual relationships as "calming and soothing to the soul and that feeling like one has finally come home" and semi-dual relationships as "passionate and exciting and you feel really drawn to them but getting too close to them would result in an emotional roller-coaster and you will get burned by them and then both of you will make up with each other and shortly after both of you would start fighting again then you will end up getting burned again".

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Purely from socionics perspective if their relationship is characterized by turmoil then I would question if it's duality. Not because duals have perfect relations but because there are other relations more likely to be characterized by turmoil, so odds are in the favor of it being one of those. And since dual relations give a psychological benefit on both sides the relation is more characterized by both partners being grateful that their partner lifts a load that they cannot, so even if there is turmoil that attitude would still exist. If either partner doesn't have some sense of relief because this person deals with areas of life they struggle with then I would question if it's duality. There is an amount of dependence in duality.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Purely from socionics perspective if their relationship is characterized by turmoil then I would question if it's duality. Not because duals have perfect relations but because there are other relations more likely to be characterized by turmoil, so odds are in the favor of it being one of those. And since dual relations give a psychological benefit on both sides the relation is more characterized by both partners being grateful that their partner lifts a load that they cannot, so even if there is turmoil that attitude would still exist. If either partner doesn't have some sense of relief because this person deals with areas of life they struggle with then I would question if it's duality. There is an amount of dependence in duality.
Based on intertype relation descriptions it actually looked more like supervision so I might have just made errors in typing them individually.

Would you say that dual relations have the best chance of reaching power couple status ?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Based on intertype relation descriptions it actually looked more like supervision so I might have just made errors in typing them individually.

Would you say that dual relations have the best chance of reaching power couple status ?
I wouldn't say that. Though I would say best chance for most well rounded and balanced couples. Best chance for power couples would be Te dom pairs and Se dom pairs. Just for exaggeration sake imagine 2 big time CEOs dating or 2 big time flashy celebrities.

·
exploring space
9,773 Posts
I think the idea that 'duals' make good relationships, especially romantic is one of the most glaring examples of how bad this type of typology is. In essence, opposite types innately value opposite things, it's not a choice it's an inherent cognitive drive. This means that while yes, they will do what the other can't, that very thing is the basis for a really bad romantic relationship and maybe other types of relationships too. That's because the other cannot value what you are best at, aside from a self serving way, by getting rid of their burden. But there is very little of an actual connection and understanding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Duals are from the same Quadra and they share the same valued functions but have complementary strengths in those functions; therefore they naturally appreciate each other and easily form a team.

If a relationship is characterized by nothing but turmoils I would also question if it’s truly duality. If they look like duals on surface but simply cannot see eye to eye, conflict or superego relationships become possibilities.

Another possibility is some Gamma and Beta dual relationships may appear to have elements of turmoils in the eyes of Alpha and Delta but the partners in question do not see it that way. Se egos especially.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If a relationship is characterized by nothing but turmoils I would also question if it’s truly duality. If they look like duals on surface but simply cannot see eye to eye, conflict or superego relationships become possibilities.
I actually remember reading that supervisor relations are probably the worst of all the inter type relations and that in most cases of long term close supervision relations- the supervisee ends up bordering on /or even reaching full insanity. Pretty crazy how much relationships (especially bad ones) effect a person.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I actually remember reading that supervisor relations are probably the worst of all the inter type relations and that in most cases of long term close supervision relations- the supervisee ends up bordering on /or even reaching full insanity. Pretty crazy how much relationships (especially bad ones) effect a person.
You sure the supervisor doesn't end up going insane lol? Jk, yea at first I thought it was conflict but since both people affect each other it's sort of equal still, supervisor and benefit both suck because of the unequality.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You sure the supervisor doesn't end up going insane lol? Jk, yea at first I thought it was conflict but since both people affect each other it's sort of equal still, supervisor and benefit both suck because of the unequality.
Yeah exactly, with your conflictor you just end up arguing and bickering a lot, but there's never a clear winner. An example is when I was trying to argue with my LSI conflictor that were not a good match based on socionics and he's like this psychology crap is all made up and there's no way of truly understanding human nature since there's nothing concrete about it.. and since psychology is all I know we argued very strongly for hours, it was exhausting but it didn't make us dislike each other.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts