Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my understanding, enneagram theory was completely established in the early 1950s, and borderline personality disorder was discovered in the late 1960s / early 1970s.

I think if the knowledge was present at the type, borderline personality disorder would have been adapted to the level 8 and 9 of type 2s, when their fears of not being loved/appreciated are blown out of proportion.

In level 9, they describe somatization disorders which are disorders where an individual believes themselves to have many problems -- hypochondria is a type of somatization disorder -- and these disorders when used by type 2s are used to draw in attention/care from those around them.

I think the somatization disorders described in level 9 are actually just a part of borderline personality disorder.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't think people with BPD fit into specific personality types the way that an average psychologically healthy person does, so I don't think labeling them to an Enneagram type is really fair or accurate. Plus Enneagram type 2s are helpers and caregiver types. Most people with BPD are very selfish and takers, not givers.

(Married to a BPD spouse for over 8 years)

·
Registered
1 Posts
True, but average - unhealthy type 2's are "selfishly selfless." There are often strings attached for all the giving us 2's do (as hard as it is for me to admit that). Being a type 2 and diagnosed borderline, I understand how my giving is not only caused by my need to feel loved and appreciated, but also my fear of abandonment. Of course, there is a lot more to it - and I have not researched other enneagram types nearly as much as my own - but I can make a strong, first-hand connection between type 2's and BPD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my experience with my mother who is type 2 and diagnosed BPD, I can attest to this. The fact that BPD is a long-term persisting disorder causing emotion instability resonates pretty strongly with the issues faced by an established type 2 personality structure at the unhealthier levels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
True, but average - unhealthy type 2's are "selfishly selfless." There are often strings attached for all the giving us 2's do (as hard as it is for me to admit that). Being a type 2 and diagnosed borderline, I understand how my giving is not only caused by my need to feel loved and appreciated, but also my fear of abandonment. Of course, there is a lot more to it - and I have not researched other enneagram types nearly as much as my own - but I can make a strong, first-hand connection between type 2's and BPD.
Thanks Mara I appreciate your honesty, this is very true for me as well. As a Type 2 with (I hate to admit it) "selfishly selfless" problems and quite a few of the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder....this pretty much describes me. I am 31 years old and finally facing up to how I've used my friends (while thinking all these years that they were "using" me). I'm also some kind of ENFJ. I suspect this is all circling around the same thing, but I really appreciate how these personality type stuff has gotten me to admit my own problems.

It is a relief, honestly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts