Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment where every room has its own wifi setup..

My concern is that bigger buildings like hotels have wifi, but there aren't any in the rooms...

or at grocery stores, they have wifi big enough for the whole store..

so having a wifi setup in every single room, is that safe?

are the ones in hotels much stronger since they have to work for the entire building?

wonder why my place won't just have one main wifi that we all connect to..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You can imagine wifi as sound and the routers as speakers for example. To send the "sound" across an area, the speaker needs to be loud enough. The "loudness" or signal strength is affected by distance and what it needs to go through (walls and such). Just like speakers, routers have a limited range in which they can transmit a wifi signal that can be used, which means that for larger buildings there will need to be multiple routers or multiple sources of the same wifi signal so that the signal strength is roughly uniform in the whole building.

What youre seeing as one "wifi" is most likely just one network with a ton of antennas connected to it that are spread around the building. Im not an expert though, thats just what seems most likely.

Having one "wifi" per apartment helps keep internet speed up. If you had 50 people getting their everyday internet through one connection then the connection speed would be slow.

And of course its safe, like pretty much all other things youre worrying about. The wifi waves arent nearly strong enough to affect you. If youre going to stress over wifi then you might as well stress over the whole radio wave spectrum which includes radio signals and TV as well. Think about it, innumerable invisible waves, some hundreds of meters long, snaking around pretty much the whole world, ohh how spooky :D. Did you know that bananas are radioactive? :D None of those are doing anything worth noting to anything because the energy they carry is so low, a 5 minute online search will give you all the physics on that. None of these things are worth worrying about, simple science disproves it all :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts