Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

To think I'd listen to these for hours back in the day...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
gives Stallman a noogie

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
i remember when the pendrive Linuxes first came out. I'd announce to people I was communicating with them through a flash drive.
I remember when pen drives themselves came out and it was so awesome to be able to carry a whole 64mb or like 50 floppies in your pocket. I didn't play around with Linux pen drives too much.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I remember when pen drives themselves came out and it was so awesome to be able to carry a whole 64mb or like 50 floppies in your pocket. I didn't play around with Linux pen drives too much.
I'm one of those guys who argued floppies were still relevant. Unfortunately the PC industry didn't think so.

RIP floppy nerds.

I even bought some years after they went extinct. Had a little trouble finding them. Good for testing homemade mini OSes.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Used to be a big FreeBSD fan, still mostly am, but my biggest gripe was when they updated the installation system and rendered all of my automated scripts useless. Don't know if they brought it back today. Their documentation is probably the best and most reliable out of any network OS I've seen.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UNIX history doc.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First and second Linux docs.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I'm one of those guys who argued floppies were still relevant. Unfortunately the PC industry didn't think so.

RIP floppy nerds.

I even bought some years after they went extinct. Had a little trouble finding them. Good for testing homemade mini OSes.
What are they relevant for? I couldn't fit a single picture taken by a modern cell phone on one.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are they relevant for? I couldn't fit a single picture taken by a modern cell phone on one.
Programming-wise they were easier and practical. Also cheap.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How is it easier than say a flash drive? I'm asking more from a curiosity standpoint.
I don't know about the flash programming advances of 2020, but it was really hard to find a motherboard that would boot from flash or run certain functions using the flash bootstrap system available. From floppy it was mostly guaranteed to run because it had been standardized for so long.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I don't know about the flash programming advances of 2020, but it was really hard to find a motherboard that would boot from flash or run certain functions using the flash bootstrap system available. From floppy it was mostly guaranteed to run because it had been standardized for so long.
I'm pretty sure being able to boot from a flash drive has been a thing built in the BIOS for 10-15 years now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts