Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

Unsure between INFP and INTP

552 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bucolic 
#1 ·
On almost every test I have taken, I score about equally on Ti and Fi. I can see myself relating to both INFP and INTP. I often feel too self aware of my internal state and too reactive to be INTP, but also I can be quite insensitive and also have always thought of myself as unemotional and stoic unlike an INFP. My enneagram is either 4w5 or 5w4, but I believe it is 4w5 because I relate deeply to the type 4 belief of being fundamentally different from everyone else- either way I have a very strong wing. Tritype is 459. I do not get angry easily, but when I get angry I have huge outbursts where I dig myself into a deeper hole because I do not want to believe I'm wrong.

Here are the answers to the questionnaire:
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
These past few months have been a weird time for me, but it has been weird for everyone. I do not have any diagnosed mental illness. I am a 17 year old female, and as for current state of mind stressed because of my last year of school beginning in a week 😁
1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

The figure in the middle seems almost like a king sitting a top a throne and the building looks like a throne room.The building itself is beautiful- I am an art lover and art history is one of my favorite subjects. The main thing I feel about this is a sense of loss, like the figure is about to lose an important battle and is sitting in a throne room waiting to be captured by the enemy.
2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
At first, I would try to think of a way to get there without it through a taxi or something like that. Judging from how I didn't immediately realize that would mean leaving a car stranded, I probably wouldn't think of that until someone pointed it out 😁. I would also care less about whether the car was okay or not as much as I did about getting to the concert. Finally, if I realized it was impossible, I would probably grumble and whine about it even though it's no one's fault that that happened.
3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I would sit out in the car- I have done this before multiple times. I hate parties and often feel overwhelmed by them. I don't dislike socializing with people but I would much rather have it done one on one with a friend. However, I wouldn't stop the driver from going because I feel bad after they had drove me there.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
I would have an averse reaction almost immediately, by giving them a "weird look" and say something like "you really think that?". I would also probably internally be disgusted (this is assuming it is a big issue and not something like "oreos are better than chocolate chip cookies") and not think of the friend the same again. However, I would not push the issue, if only because I am not a fan of conflict.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I would definitely struggle to accept it, and also try to rationalize it by claiming that it doesn't actually mean what it probably means.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
I pride myself on being open minded, having a "live and let live attitude", being a pacifist, and accommodating others different from me. Ultimately, I don't have a logical explanation for my values- they just feel right to me, and I feel uncomfortable when I see anything that invalidates them or makes me want to change.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I don't know if there is anything particularly interesting about my personality, but I would like to think I am more creative than most people- I express myself through various art forms and often use it to articulate the emotions I can't say in words. If I could change one thing about me, it would be my laziness. I am so incredibly lazy, and a procrastinator, and I often feel as if I have zero energy.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I use hunches and gut feelings sometimes. I think that I analyze the situation first to see if using my intuition is risky or not, and if I think it isn't I will definitely make decisions on what feels right. However, in riskier situations ultimately I just follow my head. I think my hunches/gut feelings are triggered when I meet new people- if someone gives me "bad vibes" I often don't try to be friends with them.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Activities where I can be creative energize me the most- I feel very happy after a day where I can be productive writing, making music, or painting (even though I'm not particularly good at the last one!). It makes me feel productive and like "a real artist". Activities that drain me the most are doing things I consider "mundane" such as homework, chores, or excersising- I feel tired after just vacuuming my room. I see these things as a waste of time and don't understand the point of doing them.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I think I repress how emotional I am around other people- my friends have accused me of being a robot because I find it very difficult to let my guard down among others. In the past, when I've allowed myself to be emotional, I've been punished for it, so I find it very hard to do among people who I don't trust 100%.

Thank you for reading through this :) I really am torn between these two types lol

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe it is 4w5 because I relate deeply to the type 4 belief of being fundamentally different from everyone else
Just to correct the misinformations: 4 is not about being different from everyone else. It is impossible anyway. 4's had such experiences, where they felt themselves ignored and worthless, and started to search the reason of this. Comparing themselves to others. They eventually came to the conclusion that if they want to be loved, and noticed, they have to stand out somehow. 4 is the epitome of envy. Not some superficial uniqueness.

Now, for the typing:

1.)
I would have an averse reaction almost immediately, by giving them a "weird look" and say something like "you really think that?". I would also probably internally be disgusted
This is some really high Fi. Firstly, Ti is not concerned with beliefs. They are concerned with thougth systems. Their thought system mainly made of facts. Which brings us to the following Ti excluding thing: Facts are Facts. No matter how you feel about them, or what you believe of them. So INTP's don't tend to be attached to their thougths and "beliefs" emotionally. If someone has a compeletly different belief than the INTP, then Ti's first instinct is to take apart it, and examine it's parts. Now, your first instinct in this situation, is purely emotional, and the fact that you feel bad, for someone "violated" your beliefs. It is an F thing.

2.)
5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I would definitely struggle to accept it, and also try to rationalize it by claiming that it doesn't actually mean what it probably means.
Again, the same can be said about this. Fi.

3.)
I pride myself on being open minded, having a "live and let live attitude", being a pacifist, and accommodating others different from me. Ultimately, I don't have a logical explanation for my values- they just feel right to me, and I feel uncomfortable when I see anything that invalidates them or makes me want to change.
Live and let live attitude is a very stereotypical and basic Fi value. The fact that you don't have logical explanation for your values further enhance the suspicion of your strong Fi. Since Ti's main working is to attach logical , systematical explanation to their percieved things. Then again, the emotion based reaction when values are violated, is present.
So again: Fi

4.)
I don't know if there is anything particularly interesting about my personality, but I would like to think I am more creative than most people- I express myself through various art forms and often use it to articulate the emotions I can't say in words. If I could change one thing about me, it would be my laziness. I am so incredibly lazy, and a procrastinator, and I often feel as if I have zero energy.
"I don't know if there is anything particularly interesting about my personality" - if you wrote this honestly, then I would doubt that you would be a 4. If you lied, to not be percieved as pretentious, then it is a common 4 thing. You mention that you use art to articulate emotions. This is again a strong Fi. Ti would like to articulate thoughts. It is actually the complete opposite.

5.)
I think that I analyze the situation first to see if using my intuition is risky or not, and if I think it isn't I will definitely make decisions on what feels right. However, in riskier situations ultimately I just follow my head. I think my hunches/gut feelings are triggered when I meet new people- if someone gives me "bad vibes" I often don't try to be friends with them.
"I will definitely make decisions on what feels right." - Fi kicks in again. Not to mention this: "I think my hunches/gut feelings are triggered when I meet new people if someone gives me "bad vibes" I often don't try to be friends with them." Feeling functions are about people, not Thinking functions. You seem to care about how to connect with someone, if they don't give you bad vibes. Which is an F thing. For comparison: I'm a thinker, and never wanted to connect to someone actively. I noticed their skills, achievments, intelligence and competence BEFORE their vibe. The same can be said for my INTP friend.

6.)
I think I repress how emotional I am around other people- my friends have accused me of being a robot because I find it very difficult to let my guard down among others. In the past, when I've allowed myself to be emotional, I've been punished for it, so I find it very hard to do among people who I don't trust 100%.
Fi is introverted. So it won't be manifest expressively to the outside. Every introvert may seem like a robot in social situations, because their natural preference is against it. But you mention that you were emotional with others, which is again, an F thing. T's don't have to repress their emotions intentionally, because they are not connected with them too much.

Overall: Nothing points to any usage of Ti, and nothing points to being a T in general. Typical F signs however can be found commonly in your writings, and typical Fi sings as well. So I'm certain that you are an INFP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.