Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most uptight person you know and 0 being the least, how uptight/high strung would you describe yourself as being?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most uptight person you know and 0 being the least, how uptight/high strung would you describe yourself as being?
Hum, good question. I'm not sure if i could make an accurate judgement of myself. What do you mean by uptight ? I think of myself as intense at times, is this the same ? No? Yes? Does it mean snotty, smug ? Leme know and i will try and answer.

Reactions: Wake

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hum, good question. I'm not sure if i could make an accurate judgement of myself. What do you mean by uptight ? I think of myself as intense at times, is this the same ? No? Yes? Does it mean snotty, smug ? Leme know and i will try and answer.
Hmm... I guess I was meaning to say Neurotic by uptight or high strung.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Hmm... I guess I was meaning to say Neurotic by uptight or high strung.
O.k, i will try and give myself a judgement on this. I would say maybe 2/3 out to ten. I do feel anxious at times when under stress, when i feel this way i may jump to conclusions, or make assumptions about things they may or may-not be happening. I don't get stressed often , but when i do it can be bad. I get really tensed up, i don't feel myself.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.k, i will try and give myself a judgement on this. I would say maybe 2/3 out to ten. I do feel anxious at times when under stress, when i feel this way i may jump to conclusions, or make assumptions about things they may or may-not be happening. I don't get stressed often , but when i do it can be bad. I get really tensed up, i don't feel myself.
I've met some 7s who are what you would consider over the top. They're full of anxiety to do something spontaneous around others all the time. This may create variations within the E7 that make some 7s seem very different in how they handle their drive to enjoy their experience.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I usually hang right around an 8 or so. I am extremely uptight but I think that's just because I suck at managing stress.
10 happens fairly often as well, but I usually hang around an 8.
Friends usually comment about how "wound up" I am.

If I'm having a really good day, or I have a "vacation", I might drop down to about a 5 or 6.

Reactions: Wake

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
1s, 4s, and 6s are the three types which test the lowest on emotional stability (in other words these three types have highest Neuroticism scores) so I wouldn't be surprised if 1s often end up feeling "tense"

I think my own tenseness has gone down over the years, but that's because my life has become less stressful since I've finished school and also I lean to my 9-wing a lot (but as a result I've developed typical 9 neuroses lol), when I was still in school I was probably twice as anxious and neurotic but now I have more freedom to arrange my life as I want it to be

On scale of 1 to 10 usually I'm around 4-5 but on bad days when something has upset me, or I feel like I'm losing what I wanted to have or not getting what I was trying to achieve, it shoots up to 8-10. Then I get obsessive thoughts that keep racing around in my head in circles, compulsive need do something just to feel that I've done something, a need for some kind of quick accomplishment, so that I can look back and tally up the results of what I have done. That makes me feel better. Since I'm rather distraught in such times I don't end up doing anything serious, something that would be truly productive, but I may start obsessively ordering something, searching for information I don't really need, and checking and re-checking forums and other social websites every 5 minutes.

·
Banned
891 Posts
@Wake

When you mention principles playing a role in a 1's uptightness, what do you mean by that? Like if you have to compromise your principles, or they're questioned, that makes you uptight (or as you said, neurotic)? Or do you mean something else entirely?

I read the link, but only saw mention of type 1s in it. Nothing about type 6. And it would be interesting to see, because I used to think I was a 1 for the longest time. I think I was seeing an illusion of how secure I was in my ideas of "the right thing" and "the wrong thing." My motto for myself was, "Do the right thing above all else." When I reached a point where my beliefs came into question, that motto got harder and harder to follow- I didn't know what the "right" thing was anymore. And sometimes, I still don't.

Sorry, going a bit off tangent here...

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Wake

When you mention principles playing a role in a 1's uptightness, what do you mean by that? Like if you have to compromise your principles, or they're questioned, that makes you uptight (or as you said, neurotic)? Or do you mean something else entirely?
Principles seems to lead to perfection. "Did I do it just right?" "Give it all you got" "Did you lack something?" "Where did things go wrong?" internal criticism creates self-doubt, IMO. Though we maybe certain of our opinion, there is always a very high expectation of getting things just right. What happens when things go wrong? We try to be blameless (as shown in Timeless article) and avoid being inconsiderate or part of the problem.

I read the link, but only saw mention of type 1s in it. Nothing about type 6. And it would be interesting to see, because I used to think I was a 1 for the longest time. I think I was seeing an illusion of how secure I was in my ideas of "the right thing" and "the wrong thing." My motto for myself was, "Do the right thing above all else." When I reached a point where my beliefs came into question, that motto got harder and harder to follow- I didn't know what the "right" thing was anymore. And sometimes, I still don't.
I talk about both in #7, maybe starting with 1s since this is the 1 forum but it is a comparison.

What conditions were you under to take on such a mentality? Job? School? What took place? How did you come to the conclusion you were 6 instead?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I'm rather distraught in such times I don't end up doing anything serious, something that would be truly productive, but I may start obsessively ordering something, searching for information I don't really need, and checking and re-checking forums and other social websites every 5 minutes.
So only when you're stressed you check back at social sites often? I'm awful about putting stuff out of my mind. If I get pressured for school I'd retire my account again temporarily. Something about my physical makeup doesn't allow me too stay on topic too long unless I'm pushing myself, a wondering mind.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
So only when you're stressed you check back at social sites often? I'm awful about putting stuff out of my mind. If I get pressured for school I'd retire my account again temporarily. Something about my physical makeup doesn't allow me too stay on topic too long unless I'm pushing myself, a wondering mind.
I'll check social sites every day, but when I'm not stressed I can easily break it off and go do something else. When I am under a lot of stress I may become as if glued and can't easily let go or will come back after 10-15 minutes and check again. I know another person who types as 1w9 and whenever he is stressed over something he complains that he can't stop checking and rechecking his facebook account.

Something about my physical makeup doesn't allow me too stay on topic too long unless I'm pushing myself, a wondering mind.
This may be due to your MBTI type. According to socionics ISTJs have something called vortical-synergetic thinking style, where you have many disparate thoughts circling around like a whirlwind. It's random, chaotic thinking which doesn't want to follow any linear path. If you're under a lot of stress it may be just getting amplified and then you get like a mental adhd.
Synergetics—the science of how order emerges from chaos. The word 'synergy' in Ancient Greek means "concerted action". The concept of synergy continues to be discussed at present. In the West, it is called 'Chaos Theory' or 'Nonlinear Dynamics' [9]. For our purposes, it is important to note that it is characterized by so-called dissipative states—non-equilibrium, nonlinear, unstable.

As Dynamics, Synergetics think fluidly with tints of one thought cascading into another. As Positivists, they converge towards a point of attraction. As Involutionary types, they frequently turn backwards and jump over previous levels, displacing the flow of their thoughts like a vortex or fluctuating storm.

Characteristic of a 'vortex' is its self-organizing nature, moving like a whirlwind. This manifests mentally as a rapid search for options, tests, and the subsequent screening of variants which do not yield results. It operates on basis of testing, advancing to the goal through trial and error. In a sense, it is comparable to a perpetual lab experiment in the brain.

The first advantage of Vortical cognition—liveliness and naturalness. It seems to simulate the actual processes occurring in nature. Another advantage—faith in success and luck. Synergetics do not confuse temporary setbacks with error; they will undertake attempt after attempt until success ultimately comes to them.

Its chief disadvantage is that the intellectual search is often blind and uneconomical. Another difficulty is its randomness and spontaneity. Synergetic intellect is a kind of chain reaction that catalyzes itself. The mechanism of positive feedback operates: if not curbed, then the concentration of effort first leads to an explosion, followed by dissipation.

Synergetic intellect explains phenomena through substantive reasoning. The very substance (material or substrate) itself generating phenomena through natural movement. In the Aristotle example, the cause of sculpture is the block of marble from which it was made.
link to the whole article

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,468 Posts
A little more tense than most you know without a large amount of provocation from your environment?
Yes, I feel uneasy if something is left unfinished or things aren't moving along. Being around my type 9 brother makes me feel like I'm even more uptight than I actually am. I don't understand how he can be so laid back lol.

·
Banned
891 Posts
@Wake

Did you mean post #7 in the link? I'll go back and check.

Re: my mistype: I think several factors led to it. I was raised in a dogmatically religious household. My mother was so obsessed with doing the right thing that it led to OCD.

I realized I was a six when I looked at my anger style, my relationship with perfectionism, and my past experience with religion. With me, doubts stand out big time. Big time. If I was a 1, I don't think I would be immersed in such doubt. I've *always* questioned everything. Even when I was uber-dogmatic. I think, too, Type 1 felt more secure than Type 6 does- you all seem so sure of yourselves, and the right thing to do. Me? I want to do that too, but I don't have strict rules about it at this time (still working stuff out).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts