Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is up my party people?!?!?!!

So this beast of a post was inspired in part by a recent thread on /r/INTP(reddit). It was a short article by the title, “A Letter to Extroverts.” I won't spoil it for you, in case you really, really, really want to read it for some reason, but the basic gist was, “i smrt, u dum, go away dumdum!”
I should say now that articles and posts of the sort infuriate me to no end. I will also say, if you are an INTP(or any introverted type) who thinks they are smarter or better than their extroverted counterparts because you spend less time laughing or talking, then I hate you. You're not great, and you're not a gift to the world. You're a neurotic piece of shit. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.

Story time:.
I work in customer service. Specifically, I work in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] wave cafes. The reasons for this are many, but the main one is that I love coffee.
I don't just love drinking coffee, I love fucking around with it. I love taking an hour to make three pots of coffee, all different ways, and sipping them and thinking about how they are different. I love changing the grind, the temperature of the water, the speed of my pour. I love watching as it drips into my pot, and I love how it tingles on my tongue when I drink it. In short, I am a fucking nerd.
I have a problem though. I don't really smile that much. Oh, I smile when a customer comes in, and I smile when I give them their latte or whatever, but I don't really smile in between those. I'm concentrating, cause I care about the work I put in and the end product. I want the person on the other side of the bar to love what they drink and to come back because I gave them the best fucking coffee they've ever had. But I'm not smiling. I'm not asking them about their day or about their kids, cause(spoiler alert) I don't give a flying fuck about it.
But customers don't like that about me. They want a cute girl who bats their eyelashes and won't shut their fucking mouth for one second. They want to be flattered and made out to be the greatest ever. Most customers don't care that much about their coffee, as long as it is mostly palatable they are happy. They go to cafes because they like being cool, or to feel good.
I'm not going to begrudge them that, cause everybody needs to feel appreciated, and god knows that I can't resist a cute Barista girl either. But I'm not a girl, and god knows that I am not cute. I'm a 250lb bear of a man with a giant beard and dead eyes.
For that reason, I have a hard time keeping a job. I have no problems getting them, cause I am not boasting when I say that my resume is one of the most impressive out there. If there is a cafe worth mentioning, I have worked there. I can barist with the best of them. But once I start working, managers inevitably sour toward me. Customers leave with a frown because I didn't say how cute their shitty kid is, or compliment their new haircut. And if customers aren't happy, then managers aren't happy.
I have heard every stupid excuse to fire someone that there is. It got to the point where I respected people more who just straight up told me, “It's not working out. Customers aren't happy, and they run the business.”

Here's the good part of the story. The happy ending, as it were.
My current boss is probably the best boss I've ever had. Guess what?: He's INTP. You want to know what he did before he opened a cafe? He was a geo-physist. You want to know how much money he made doing it? More than all of us combined.
Here's why he stopped working a 6-7 figure job to open a cafe, go into debt, and work himself ragged:. He saw that there was a market for something. He saw that cafes in this area were not places you go to have the best coffee of your life. He wanted to change that. He wanted a cafe where you went and sat around, talked with your friends, and drank a latte that somebody like me took effort making. You drink a cup of coffee that took 10 fucking minutes to make, but it's the best damn thing that's ever slid across your tongue.

He's a mathematician, and if there was ever a bigger nerd, I've never met them. He's a gamer, a trekkie, and a huge dork. But he also knows people, and he sees his employees as themselves. He appreciates us for our strengths.
He hired a girl who makes animal noises constantly, and talks to herself maybe a bit too much, but she is one of the most talented artists I have ever seen. She likes coffee, and is pretty good at it, but she is here because she loves art. You want to know what he did with her? He gave her some markers and a sheet of glass, and told her to do what she wanted. The results? The most beautiful coffee menu I have ever laid eyes on.
He hired a girl who excels at administration and numbers. She's a little slip of a thing, but her brain is basically an excel spread sheet in a skull.
He hired a girl who can train anybody to do anything.
He hired a girl with a weirdly shaped head who can't stop organizing things.
He hired a flamboyant gay boy who is, in fact, amazing at customer service. He flatters the pants off of everybody(not literally). He knows everybody's name, and their kids' names, and their fucking cousins' names.
He hired me, and he let me build his menu from the ground up. He told me what he wanted and let me at it. He sipped and gave his critiques, but he basically let me do what I do.

I don't need to smile here. I do, because I love my job and what I do, but I don't have to. The artist is free to make weird noises. The girl with a big head is free to stalk around the cafe with a wet cloth and her eyes twitching. The trainer is free to look over everybody's shoulder and whisper insults in their ear. The gay boy is free to ogle a few boy-butts while he flatters the shit out of a soccer mom. The skinny girl is free to sit in a corner and fume at how stupid our suppliers are.
We are all free to be ourselves, and work at what we do best. The owner stands and grins like an idiot because he loves it, and he knows we're doing what we love. He understands people, and he helps them excel.

You want to know what my boss didn't do? He didn't sulk to himself about how nobody understood him. He didn't make passive-aggressive comments to people who were more talkative or bubbly than him. And he didn't get a grudge against society for catering to extroverts.
Instead, he gave 'em all the middle finger and assembled a team of misfits who, together, make a cafe that is(in my opinion) one of the most happening spots around.

Come for the best coffee of your life, but stay for the people who make you feel like you're home.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But you didn't tell me where I could get this amazing coffee. Or was that not the point?
It's not the point. The point is that he is a super introverted guy who didn't care what everybody else thought and did what he wanted and fuck the police.
But if you want, come to Calgary. If you make it here, let me know and I'll give you the address. I'll pour you a heart in your latte and give you a wink.

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
It's not the point. The point is that he is a super introverted guy who didn't care what everybody else thought and did what he wanted and fuck the police.
But if you want, come to Calgary. If you make it here, let me know and I'll give you the address. I'll pour you a heart in your latte and give you a wink.
You shouldn't have distracted me with your coffee talk. All I could imagine was

Anyway, your post is accurate. Society's job isn't to make sure there's a warm comfy place for everyone. We've got to build it for ourselves.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts

So this beast of a post was inspired in part by a recent thread on /r/INTP(reddit). It was a short article by the title, “A Letter to Extroverts.” I won't spoil it for you, in case you really, really, really want to read it for some reason, but the basic gist was, “i smrt, u dum, go away dumdum!”
I should say now that articles and posts of the sort infuriate me to no end. I will also say, if you are an INTP(or any introverted type) who thinks they are smarter or better than their extroverted counterparts because you spend less time laughing or talking, then I hate you. You're not great, and you're not a gift to the world. You're a neurotic piece of shit. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.

I work in customer service. Specifically, I work in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] wave cafes. The reasons for this are many, but the main one is that I love coffee.
I don't just love drinking coffee, I love fucking around with it. I love taking an hour to make three pots of coffee, all different ways, and sipping them and thinking about how they are different. I love changing the grind, the temperature of the water, the speed of my pour. I love watching as it drips into my pot, and I love how it tingles on my tongue when I drink it. In short, I am a fucking nerd.
I have a problem though. I don't really smile that much. Oh, I smile when a customer comes in, and I smile when I give them their latte or whatever, but I don't really smile in between those. I'm concentrating, cause I care about the work I put in and the end product. I want the person on the other side of the bar to love what they drink and to come back because I gave them the best fucking coffee they've ever had. But I'm not smiling. I'm not asking them about their day or about their kids, cause(spoiler alert) I don't give a flying fuck about it.
But customers don't like that about me. They want a cute girl who bats their eyelashes and won't shut their fucking mouth for one second. They want to be flattered and made out to be the greatest ever. Most customers don't care that much about their coffee, as long as it is mostly palatable they are happy. They go to cafes because they like being cool, or to feel good.
I'm not going to begrudge them that, cause everybody needs to feel appreciated, and god knows that I can't resist a cute Barista girl either. But I'm not a girl, and god knows that I am not cute. I'm a 250lb bear of a man with a giant beard and dead eyes.
For that reason, I have a hard time keeping a job. I have no problems getting them, cause I am not boasting when I say that my resume is one of the most impressive out there. If there is a cafe worth mentioning, I have worked there. I can barist with the best of them. But once I start working, managers inevitably sour toward me. Customers leave with a frown because I didn't say how cute their shitty kid is, or compliment their new haircut. And if customers aren't happy, then managers aren't happy.
I have heard every stupid excuse to fire someone that there is. It got to the point where I respected people more who just straight up told me, “It's not working out. Customers aren't happy, and they run the business.”

My current boss is probably the best boss I've ever had. Guess what?: He's INTP. You want to know what he did before he opened a cafe? He was a geo-physist. You want to know how much money he made doing it? More than all of us combined.
Here's why he stopped working a 6-7 figure job to open a cafe, go into debt, and work himself ragged:. He saw that there was a market for something. He saw that cafes in this area were not places you go to have the best coffee of your life. He wanted to change that. He wanted a cafe where you went and sat around, talked with your friends, and drank a latte that somebody like me took effort making. You drink a cup of coffee that took 10 fucking minutes to make, but it's the best damn thing that's ever slid across your tongue.

He's a mathematician, and if there was ever a bigger nerd, I've never met them. He's a gamer, a trekkie, and a huge dork. But he also knows people, and he sees his employees as themselves. He appreciates us for our strengths.
He hired a girl who makes animal noises constantly, and talks to herself maybe a bit too much, but she is one of the most talented artists I have ever seen. She likes coffee, and is pretty good at it, but she is here because she loves art. You want to know what he did with her? He gave her some markers and a sheet of glass, and told her to do what she wanted. The results? The most beautiful coffee menu I have ever laid eyes on.
He hired a girl who excels at administration and numbers. She's a little slip of a thing, but her brain is basically an excel spread sheet in a skull.
He hired a flamboyant gay boy who is, in fact, amazing at customer service. He flatters the pants off of everybody(not literally). He knows everybody's name, and their kids' names, and their fucking cousins' names.
He hired me, and he let me build his menu from the ground up. He told me what he wanted and let me at it. He sipped and gave his critiques, but he basically let me do what I do.

I don't need to smile here. I do, because I love my job and what I do, but I don't have to. The artist is free to make weird noises. The girl with a big head is free to stalk around the cafe with a wet cloth and her eyes twitching. The trainer is free to look over everybody's shoulder and whisper insults in their ear. The gay boy is free to ogle a few boy-butts while he flatters the shit out of a soccer mom. The skinny girl is free to sit in a corner and fume at how stupid our suppliers are.
We are all free to be ourselves, and work at what we do best. The owner stands and grins like an idiot because he loves it, and he knows we're doing what we love. He understands people, and he helps them excel.

You want to know what my boss didn't do? He didn't sulk to himself about how nobody understood him. He didn't make passive-aggressive comments to people who were more talkative or bubbly than him. And he didn't get a grudge against society for catering to extroverts.
Instead, he gave 'em all the middle finger and assembled a team of misfits who, together, make a cafe that is(in my opinion) one of the most happening spots around.

Come for the best coffee of your life, but stay for the people who make you feel like you're home.
You sound like my kind of person. Be proud of yourself bro, because it's hard to get in CALS BOOKS(well unless if I hate, then you go into my bad book).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Honestly, that place sounds like heaven for customer introverts, too.
That trend of hiring extroverted people or extroverted-pleasing people annoys me. Rarely can I find a place where someone will not try to chit-chat just because I'm alone. Most of the employees (and sometimes even customers) see an empty chair as an invitation. And all I want is to have some me-time over a good cup of coffee. I know it's their job to small talk and make customers happy, and I get they are good at it, it's fine, that's what they are hired for. But that doesn't really make me happy, and I'm a customer, too, so... When I ignore their attempt in communicating with me, they either get offended or start acting weird, because they don't know what to do with me. And it's really not their fault. There should be a person who will just make me some good coffee and leave me the f alone. But the employers would rather satisfy the majority of extroverts, because majority = profit.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
The only reason anybody has to say they're smarter than anybody is that they don't have any friends. They're trying to get to the bottom of why that is, and this is one of the easiest explanations to swallow:"I'm just too good for them." People actually need friends to be psychologically healthy, so it turns into a vicious cycle: fewer friends, less psychological health, even fewer friends, even less psychological health. We are naked (well, as your case, maybe some more than others) apes with very few natural talents to preserve us in the wild. Working/living/thinking together has always been programmed into our subconscious, and when we're not succeeding at that, it takes a toll in stress hormones. Our bodies feel like they're dying when this happens, because in the wild, it wouldn't be long before we did die.

So while I agree with you in principle (especially about the coffee) getting mad at them makes no sense once you realize what it's about. They're reaching because they know everybody's mad at them/doesn't like them. In their own way, they're trying to solve their own problem. It won't work, but they're trying. You don't need to feel sorry for them, but for your own sake, if you really find this distasteful, don't let them know you're mad. It just makes them worse. Keep posting good how-to's like this, and maybe they'll catch on eventually.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

It warmed my heart to hear of your boss supporting the individuality and strengths of each employee. I am truly happy to know that this place exists and you are all able to be yourselves here. Thank you for sharing your happiness with us. I love hearing about people being really happy and content with where they are in life. I am glad you found a place where you can be supported and appreciated for who you are.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
How do I make the best coffee at home without spending (too much) money?

·
Registered
605 Posts
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the sacred bean that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." (Modified Mentat mantra)

I first discovered 3rd wave coffee while working in Portland in 2010. It was a revelation. I can't go back to the regurgitated donkey swill sold at the chains. I'm sitting at my desk at work with my Clever brewer and my single origin Cuba Serrano beans, roasted on Nov2, thinking that "that" has a freaking awesome job. I am happy to hear that one of my INTP brethren has found his place in life and that another INTP is helping to create a work culture that allows people to contribute as themselves instead of just being a cog in the McWorld script. :smile:

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
The only reason anybody has to say they're smarter than anybody is that they don't have any friends.
Or... they just crashed their bike into someone's yard and got surrounded by kids they don't know who laughed and pointed at her skinned knees, and made fun of her for not being able to ride her bike, while her father and brothers disappeared around the corner, leaving her to fend for herself through the tears - her only defense being, "I'm smarter than all of yoooouuuuuu!"
:crying::crying::crying:

[/flashback]

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I make the best coffee at home without spending (too much) money?
The cheapest and easiest way to make good coffee at home is with a filter and cone. You can start with just those things, and continue to improve them for a long time. I'm still learning new things about pour-overs.
Buy good coffee that caters to your taste. There are all sorts of coffees that have all sorts of flavours. Chocolatey, fruity, sweet, caramelly, sticky, smooth, sharp, heavy. If you look enough, and know what to watch for, you can find anything you want. My current favourite coffee is a Kenyan blend that tastes exactly like blueberries in a cup.
Go to cafes that offer pour-overs, and watch them. Tell them you're looking to learn about making your own coffee, and I bet anything that they'd be thrilled to yammer on about it for longer than you care to listen. They can tell you about the science behind it, and you can learn just from watching too.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

BRAVO! :gentleman:

I laughed so hard at various points in your pleasantly didactic story.

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
The fuck is third wave coffee.

And why did I miss the first two waves.
:laughing:

This was a new term to me, too. Even though, when I looked up the place I've been buying my beans for a few years now, apparently I've been drinking it. I thought it was just the good hipster-roasted coffee that didn't make you have to run to the toilet after you drink it.

OTOH, I have a friend who loves that "run" feeling. He is INFP.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts