Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Would say INFJ, 9w1

Observations:

- She seems quite averse to talking about Te things. She doesn't want to give you practical advice that will improve your life. "I'm the wrong person to ask about that" she says frequently to people who ask her about the process of being a writer or how to make it into the industry and things like this. She really, really doesn't want to talk about Te.

- She's subtle in her talking about Fe. She's very go-with-the-flow, which is Fe but it's also non- Fe dom. She's probably an introvert. And obviously she's no ESTP or ENFJ.

- She talks a lot about her experiences with Ni. Most (all?) of her books are inspired by things that have happened to her. She hears someone say something and thinks "that could be a book."

- She finds it difficult, and even calls it stupid, to begin writing without having the end game in mind. You have to know where you're going before you can begin going there.

- She uses tons of intuitive comparative language in her speech. She can't answer a question without relating it to some other concept in order to explain what she's talking about. She's cute.

- I find it so interesting how she writes her books preferring to introduce a thought-provoking scenario or concept and then finish the book leaving that open-ended. She doesn't want to influence how the reader thinks. She wants the reader to have that process for the reader's self. I think this is typical Ti and Fi--depending on whether we're talking about morals or understanding of a concept.

- She talks about conservation of the Earth a lot. I'm not sure if this is her personal moral conviction or if she has sort of absorbed this from society's general trends as a whole. Could totally see either/or here. But of course you already know where I stand on this--I think she's Fe.

- She talks about how the reader hates to read about large chunks of Ti at once. And so she has to break this up and scatter it throughout the story to make it palatable. This shows that she writes with her audience in mind. She's not concerned with writing what she wants to write with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude, but rather she's more audience-centric in this way.

- She explains that this is why she often writes about planets that are very Earth-like. So she doesn't have to bother thinking up (and writing) how this new planet would work. Seems like a Ti that's below Fe.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the response :)

She's one of my favorite authors but I don't know anyone who's read her work. She does have a tendency to leave things open-ended, which usually bothers me because I consider it lazy, but it works with her. I bought one of her short-story collections just for one story because it addressed some topics from her novel The Left Hand of Darkness. I like how she's open to exploring odd or controversial topics as well as reevaluating her stance years down the line.

I saw this recently and found her view on writing about the "future" interesting.

I do find her adorable :p

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Ursula K. Le Guin is brilliant. I agree she is an INFJ.

I mostly commented to share this short story, for those who love Le Guin and those who would like a taste of her work :)

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

Reactions: Immolate

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ursula K. Le Guin is brilliant. I agree she is an INFJ.

I mostly commented to share this short story, for those who love Le Guin and those who would like a taste of her work :)

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Chills.

I have never met anyone in real life who has even heard of her. We are definitely not alone!
Thank goodness :laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts