Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one among the INFP tribe that does not feel like a cuddly, cute misfit? I do not mean to insult the mode of life that other people employ, but since I started lurking this forum, I have noticed that we INFPs are somehow viewed as timid bouncing creatures who live only to inspire “Oos” and “Aahs”. I fail to see how any of my fellow Fi wielders can feel as helpless as I read in some of these entries. My heart breaks for you... And the anger of furious indignation surges from the wound hot and true!
Let those you love not use you for your natural kindness... And let them not call you foolish.
They call us dreamers! Well yes people knew the real meaning of dreaming there would be no problem. Yet the connotation of foolish fantasy clings to context. Martin Luther King was a dreamer and so was Mahatma Gandhi, along with everybody else who created any movement for the whole purpose of humanitarian advancement. When I visualize these people, I see nothing short of the most pure strength that any human can attain; The fortitude to stand your moral ground and push forth, whatever the obstacle.
Enriched by the concept of Myers Briggs, I am able to look back at my life and see how the abstract ideals of honesty, courage, strength and empathy, the true form of my particular Fi, held me, like pillars, steady at the sight of any obstacle. I feel that nothing can ever make me feel insecure as long as a hold at my own self discovered center. Not the opinion of other people, not the barrel of a gun.
Anybody else feel a similar thunder of emotion in their heart?

·
Registered
321 Posts
No one has ever described me as 'cuddly'. I would be horrified if they did, to be honest! I've been called 'cute' a few times but that's it. Most people I'm this strange and short little girl! Some of the things I say, man... it's like I don't think at all. ;) I scare people sometimes... whoops!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Am I the only one among the INFP tribe that does not feel like a cuddly, cute misfit? I do not mean to insult the mode of life that other people employ, but since I started lurking this forum, I have noticed that we INFPs are somehow viewed as timid bouncing creatures who live only to inspire “Oos” and “Aahs”. I fail to see how any of my fellow Fi wielders can feel as helpless as I read in some of these entries. My heart breaks for you... And the anger of furious indignation surges from the wound hot and true!
Let those you love not use you for your natural kindness... And let them not call you foolish.
They call us dreamers! Well yes people knew the real meaning of dreaming there would be no problem. Yet the connotation of foolish fantasy clings to context. Martin Luther King was a dreamer and so was Mahatma Gandhi, along with everybody else who created any movement for the whole purpose of humanitarian advancement. When I visualize these people, I see nothing short of the most pure strength that any human can attain; The fortitude to stand your moral ground and push forth, whatever the obstacle.
Enriched by the concept of Myers Briggs, I am able to look back at my life and see how the abstract ideals of honesty, courage, strength and empathy, the true form of my particular Fi, held me, like pillars, steady at the sight of any obstacle. I feel that nothing can ever make me feel insecure as long as a hold at my own self discovered center. Not the opinion of other people, not the barrel of a gun.
Absolutely - I feel a similar thunder of emotion in my heart! But I do feel that other people or situations can make me feel insecure even though I am proud of my own self discovered center. I feel vulnerable having to rely on my Fi even though it can also make me feel full of strengh and power. I am a dreamer. I probably seem to be a cuddly friendly person but I have darker sides to me that not that many people knows about or get to see. And I keep thinking of the reasons that made me having to rely heavily on my Fi and having difficulties showing my true self... And I am disheartened..

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've been told I'm cuddly and cute multiple times.
And sometimes, I take the compliment, but other times it can be a bit offensive. Especially when you're a fairly independant and smart person or you're not saying something to be cute. I don't try. Before coming on these forums, I thought maybe that was only a problem I had. But looking around, I wondered if other people did as well. And they do.
It may be a girl thing and not an INFP thing in my case, and something to do with the fact that I have a baby face.
In any case, I think that people can do greater things than other people, and even they, tend to assume. I think the kindness and morality are strengths and not as you said, just things to make you a "cuddy, cute, misfit." You're totally right.

Reactions: Humaning

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I can be cuddly depending on the person or people that I am around. I can also be as prickly as a porcupine. In fact a guy once told me that hugging me was as difficult as hugging a porcupine. So it depends on the people I am around.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Beautifully written. And I completely relate to everything.

I know myself and many other infps' feel strong through Fi and Ne, we just don't hear from them much :proud: Lucky to have the steamroller that is Ne to support the relentlessly idealistic Fi. What a very powerful team they can be. As much as many think Fi is the source of much hardship, those around us and even we ourselves do not realise the strength we have to assume by virtue of our way of being in the world. People see Fi as weakness, but when it's grounded and a person assumes complete responsibility of their life, it's a force that can truly pull you through anything.

It seems idealistic framed in that light, but that has been my personal experience. I don't crumble when it comes to big things that occur in my life. I'll ninny pinny and be nonchalent about small things (most things). But when something crosses my radar, I really align with, I become a decisive tour de force :mellow: for better or worse!

I still like cuddles... and i'm little -_- but I -will- punch you if you say i'm cuddly and little :D

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I couldn't agree more, Humaning. A good point very well made.

Ultimately I think people put too much stock into this MBTI / general personality pigeon-holing. Anyone with half a braincell (such as myself :tongue:) will be fully aware of the fact that people are far too complex to 'type' after answering a few silly questions. As it happens, I'm incredibly far removed from the 'cute and cuddly' portrayal of the INFP - I look after number one first and foremost and I'm a viscous defender of friends and family.

I've edited the rest of this post because it's no longer relevant - I'm a much easier going guy than I used to be ;p

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh hell yeah, I was just talking about this yesterday... to myself. I was thinking that all the floaty faerie pixie images on here are not me at all. I cannot relate to the dragon fantasy land in the time of the rainbows and unicorns or the other impressions I get on this forum. I like horror movies, I like big rough things, I like clunky stuff, loud sounds and dark humor. Yes, I like bright colors and velvety soft surroundings, cute baby animals and daydreaming about other realities, but I am not a wisp in the wind. I sing loud, I make people nervous, I throw things and break them when I'm mad, I swear 500 times a day, my fantasies are not dainty or whimsical, I have road rage, I love a loud distorted guitar, a get drunk a few times a week just for fun, I've had sex just for fun with people I wasn't in love with, I like to wrestle. etc.

I feel like I don't QUITE fit in on this forum. But then I can relate to a lot of things on here, too. And I don't resent the people who don't think like me, by any means. I think INFPs are awesome. I have about 6 INFP friends, lucky me! I don't feel helpless and timid but I do get discouraged and depressed a lot. I am succinct in my speech and sometimes come off as aloof and stuck up, but I have great affection for my fellow man. I might seem shy, but I'm really not. I just don't talk a lot. I am not scared to talk to anyone. I work as a crisis counselor and have talked to all kinds of people. People don't surprise me anymore, they don't scare me. I can talk to sex offenders and rape survivors alike with the same amount of empathy. I feel like I got off track here, but yeah, and I can definitely relate to not fitting in with the star gazing daydreamer stereotype.

·
Registered
82 Posts
infps are sort of chameleonic as a type, cuddly ones, intense ones, there's a whole spectrum of us - the cuddly ones just get more of a focus because of the cuteness :shocked:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely - I feel a similar thunder of emotion in my heart! But I do feel that other people or situations can make me feel insecure even though I am proud of my own self discovered center. I feel vulnerable having to rely on my Fi even though it can also make me feel full of strengh and power. I am a dreamer. I probably seem to be a cuddly friendly person but I have darker sides to me that not that many people knows about or get to see. And I keep thinking of the reasons that made me having to rely heavily on my Fi and having difficulties showing my true self... And I am disheartened..
If I am correct, Fi does not require you to keep your feelings to yourself to reamin true. They just need to be formed by internal alchemy, instead of ethical concensus. You are a powerful being wrapped inside your inhibitions; your potential parallels the infinite quality of the universe. I wish, I could fight alongside you and slay the monsters and demons that ofuscate your light. Nor that I can, but it would probably rob you of the glory of self actualization. Never give up my fellow dreamer!

Beautifully written. And I completely relate to everything.

I know myself and many other infps' feel strong through Fi and Ne, we just don't hear from them much :proud: Lucky to have the steamroller that is Ne to support the relentlessly idealistic Fi. What a very powerful team they can be. As much as many think Fi is the source of much hardship, those around us and even we ourselves do not realise the strength we have to assume by virtue of our way of being in the world. People see Fi as weakness, but when it's grounded and a person assumes complete responsibility of their life, it's a force that can truly pull you through anything.

It seems idealistic framed in that light, but that has been my personal experience. I don't crumble when it comes to big things that occur in my life. I'll ninny pinny and be nonchalent about small things (most things). But when something crosses my radar, I really align with, I become a decisive tour de force :mellow: for better or worse!

I still like cuddles... and i'm little -_- but I -will- punch you if you say i'm cuddly and little :D
Thank you, Nova. It inspires me to read that you also view Fi as the source of humane strength that it should be recognized for. As you say, it comes down to how centered the person is to the their inner values. I have experienced myself the pain that a vague Fi can produce.

I couldn't agree more, Humaning. A good point very well made.

Ultimately I think people put too much stock into this MBTI / general personality pigeon-holing. Anyone with half a braincell (such as myself :tongue:) will be fully aware of the fact that people are far too complex to 'type' after answering a few silly questions. As it happens, I'm incredibly far removed from the 'cute and cuddly' portrayal of the INFP - I look after number one first and foremost and I'm a viscous defender of friends and family.

I've edited the rest of this post because it's no longer relevant - I'm a much easier going guy than I used to be ;p
Thank you, and I am glad that you have freed yourself from detrimental reactions. Your words uplifts my spirits. Indeed, we are too complex to be labled and packed into boxes. Even when all our cognitive functions become mapped and written in textbooks, we will still remain as unpredictable as always. Brain is to Mind, as Piano is to Music.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh hell yeah, I was just talking about this yesterday... to myself. I was thinking that all the floaty faerie pixie images on here are not me at all. I cannot relate to the dragon fantasy land in the time of the rainbows and unicorns or the other impressions I get on this forum. I like horror movies, I like big rough things, I like clunky stuff, loud sounds and dark humor. Yes, I like bright colors and velvety soft surroundings, cute baby animals and daydreaming about other realities, but I am not a wisp in the wind. I sing loud, I make people nervous, I throw things and break them when I'm mad, I swear 500 times a day, my fantasies are not dainty or whimsical, I have road rage, I love a loud distorted guitar, a get drunk a few times a week just for fun, I've had sex just for fun with people I wasn't in love with, I like to wrestle. etc.

I feel like I don't QUITE fit in on this forum. But then I can relate to a lot of things on here, too. And I don't resent the people who don't think like me, by any means. I think INFPs are awesome. I have about 6 INFP friends, lucky me! I don't feel helpless and timid but I do get discouraged and depressed a lot. I am succinct in my speech and sometimes come off as aloof and stuck up, but I have great affection for my fellow man. I might seem shy, but I'm really not. I just don't talk a lot. I am not scared to talk to anyone. I work as a crisis counselor and have talked to all kinds of people. People don't surprise me anymore, they don't scare me. I can talk to sex offenders and rape survivors alike with the same amount of empathy. I feel like I got off track here, but yeah, and I can definitely relate to not fitting in with the star gazing daydreamer stereotype.
hahaha It is particularly prepostorous how many fairy content I see in connection to INFPs. I dont get why draming has to mean fantasy.
I think it would be fascinating to talk to sex offender to discern how they back up their actions. It is not in me to judge other people's beliefs or values and I find it interesting to concider how one truth remains uninteresting in one person, while it vibrates full of life in another individual. This is of course in regards to abstract curosity; I believe this people should retribute for the damage they have done.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm cuddly, kinda cute, sweet, and I like it that way. But, like Blue Butterfly said, it really depends on who I'm with. I am so cuddly around my family and close friends, I think I annoy them. But I hate being touched so much by anyone else - I can't even stand having my hair cut or a massage or anything, unless I am very close to the person.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i wouldn't hurt a fly..unless it came near me..THEN IT HAS TO DIE, ALONG WITH THE REST OF THE BASTARDS WHO FUCK WITH ME!:wink:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think intense defies me without having to give out a whole paragraph about what I am. Cuddly? Not even close.
Funny, I did not view this elaboration from other members as a form of self justification. If this what you were implying, I think you were using a negative frame of mind. I, for one, I feel inspired by the put forth so far.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm cuddly, kinda cute, sweet, and I like it that way. But, like Blue Butterfly said, it really depends on who I'm with. I am so cuddly around my family and close friends, I think I annoy them. But I hate being touched so much by anyone else - I can't even stand having my hair cut or a massage or anything, unless I am very close to the person.
To each her own

1 - 18 of 18 Posts