Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use crystals or believe that they can be really good for your health?

I'm not sure either way but I'm open to the idea. I went to the Angels crystal shop today as we were passing and I felt drawn in, and I bought a black tourmaline. It's supposed to absorb negative emotions and energies and transform them into positive energy. Apparently it also helps to reduce stress and help weight loss. It sounds like just what I need!

I'm going to give it a try and see if it helps me feel better. Has anyone any experience of using crystals? Which type did you use and did they help? I'm also prepared for people to come and tell me they think it's a load of bunkum :laughing:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'm also prepared for people to come and tell me they think it's a load of bunkum :laughing:
There is no scientific evidence that suggest crystals have any effect on health. It could help with weight-loss if it's extremely heavy and you carry it around a lot however!

Seriously, don't spend money because you think it will help you. It won't. They are pretty though. :happy:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't expensive, only the price of a coffee. And it is very pretty! Maybe just the focus on the positive and what you hope to get out of it has a good effect?

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Minerals and crystals do have properties that can effect health, different ones have different levels and different properties. Take Uranium for instance, you'd certainly feel the effects of that over time or Salt crystals when ingested. So yes crystals and minerals do have properties that can affect your health, however I would say that many normal crystals you find in shops such as Tourmaline or Quartz have negligible effects on health. However there is still much to study in this area and even small effects could have significant changes over time in theory so I wouldn't totally discount the whole idea. Also, whatever makes you feel better even if its a seemingly placebo effect is fine, if it looks or feels nice its having a positive effect after all.

·
God of 1000 Suns
2,547 Posts
*gasp* But that's.....illegal! :shocked::wink:
I hear "Crystal" is illegal too /end lame joke.

I think if you wanna buy it because its pretty, go ahead! lol but there wouldn't really be any real truth to any of those magical abilities the they claim.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Yes, and then I do a green corn dance, a seance, and read people's tea leaves.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Rain on their parade.
If it makes 'em feel good, why argue? It's helping their mentality.

Mind over matter.
New age hogwash is a billion dollar industry despite the fact that there is little or no proof to most of the claims they put forth. I can't endorse it, and I can't look away. There are people with serious diseases unfortunate enough to fall for it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could probably say the same about the advertising industry and lots of other industries too! The place I got this from wasn't some big multi national company though, just a small independent shop run by someone who feels passionately about it. If someone with a serious illness doesn't listen to their doctor it's not their fault. If they take their medicine and also believe something else is helping them surely that's a good thing?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You could probably say the same about the advertising industry and lots of other industries too! The place I got this from wasn't some big multi national company though, just a small independent shop run by someone who feels passionately about it. If someone with a serious illness doesn't listen to their doctor it's not their fault. If they take their medicine and also believe something else is helping them surely that's a good thing?
It's their fault if they don't refer them to a real doctor. I don't want to be too cynical either. Hope is a good thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
New age hogwash is a billion dollar industry despite the fact that there is little or no proof to most of the claims they put forth. I can't endorse it, and I can't look away. There are people with serious diseases unfortunate enough to fall for it.
You're on here aren't you? ;)

Of course stones have energy. If you see it or feel it, and you feel drawn to it, then that speaks for itself. If you want to figure out what a stone does for you on your own or read a book to give you a push... I don't think it matters. Trust yourself.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You're on here aren't you? ;)

Of course stones have energy. If you see it or feel it, and you feel drawn to it, then that speaks for itself. If you want to figure out what a stone does for you on your own or read a book to give you a push... I don't think it matters. Trust yourself.
I don't consider Jungian psychology pseudo-scientific, so yes - I'm here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
New age hogwash is a billion dollar industry despite the fact that there is little or no proof to most of the claims they put forth.
I agree.
But I never doubt the benefit of simply having a good state-of-mind.

I can't endorse it, and I can't look away. There are people with serious diseases unfortunate enough to fall for it.
:]

If someone with a serious illness doesn't listen to their doctor it's not their fault. If they take their medicine and also believe something else is helping them surely that's a good thing?
You mean not the doctor's fault, right?

I personally don't trust most medicines but I would never, ever recommend someone to NOT see a doctor about a major health issue.
By the way, I consider ALL psychology pseudo-scientific. In the last year or so, I've become much more of a subjectivist. We're talking about individual consciousness here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Crystals fascinate me!

i have very limited specific knowledge of what does what, but the concept of different stones possessing different energy resonances makes perfect sense to me both physically/materially and otherwise. i don't believe that just carrying a stone around with you will have all that much effect, but used as a tool for meditation, where you're actually interacting with it and can feel it respond to you, many things are possible.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I meant: If someone with an illness goes to the doctor and the doctor gives them medicine, but the person then goes to a crystal shop and gets a crystal instead of taking their medicine, that is not the crystal shop's fault. Unless they deliberately tell the person it will heal their specific ailment without the need for medicine. I suppose this is where the problem sets in though, if healing is implied in the description of the crystal then maybe they are culpable...aargh my head hurts now!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
By the way, I consider ALL psychology pseudo-scientific. In the last year or so, I've become much more of a subjectivist. We're talking about individual consciousness here.
I don't follow you. Why do you consider psychology pseudo-scientific?

Nikson:
I believe that most people are kind. Some truly distrust western medicine and think that herbs, crystals and voodoo can do a better job than penicillin. Usually the practitioners of these disciplines are just as misinformed as the customers. And for people like me who can't hear stones speak to me, it can be agonizing to watch people spend money on this stuff - but I suppose it's all the same if you guys truly enjoy it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't follow you. Why do you consider psychology pseudo-scientific?
Not all the patterns of the psyche can be mapped and recreated continuously, even with the same subjects.(This is in comparison to physical sciences like, say, chemistry or physics, where you find that the same results are reproduced in experiment.)
Different people.
Different states-of-mind.
And they change on a daily basis, in small, minute ways only they can really understand.

I would also like to mention that I have a hardon for NLP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts