Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
нånD gяênåDê
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just quote myself

idk where on these forums to post this, bc it's related to autism (neurotype rather than... psychotype? that's a cool word I'm happy to coin), but i came back to PerC to explore strategies for dealing with my sensory processing issues and dealing with transitioning from one sensory environment to another.

I think this is the only place I've been in the past that would bother offering insights into such head-shrinky nervous system kinda stuff. Anyone know which forum might be appropriate? I think my trouble comes from having sensory processing issues, yea, but I've met other autists who profess to have always been really good at figuring out sensory coping strategies while I literally have to carry around a list of self-stimulation ("stimming"/fidgetting) suggestions to remember my options for coping with aversive sensory experiences.

I haven't studied any typology for about 3 and a half years, but i found this on Socionics, remembering that introverted sensation is one of my weakest and most hard-to-maintain functions:

IEIs may be overly diffident about matters pertaining to their health. Overall, they may have difficulty interpreting the signals of the body and may be inclined to focus excessively on them, possibly leading to alarmist self-diagnoses. They may perceive caring for one's body as a chore rather than a fulfilling activity.
Having been professionally diagnosed as autistic for years now, I no longer an alarmist about sensory dysregulation, but I still have trouble coping with it, in ways that aren't explained merely by autism, so I'm back from PerC retirement to figure out specifically how to develop sensory coping strategies as an intuitive.

I started school again yesterday, and even the lights made things difficult. ��
If you know a better forum post to ask these questions, lmk. I think maybe since I'm weak at sensation, using my Body type (it's 8, though from my last usage of PerC, it's not clear whether it's Core or just part of my tritype, especially since i was dealing with post-traumatic anxiety last time i was here and kinda made a mess of things).

I'm weak with sensation cognitively, but my fixations with Body have always been prevalent my whole life due to my particular kind of autistic struggles. So, i can use that fixation to my advantage to become a stimming master! There's just so many sensory experiences that derail me and the fixation can feel awful when I'm coping poorly but powerful when I do it right.

Just, when I 'do it right' is mostly an accident. I want to learn better, so it's within my control rather than accidental.

·
нånD gяênåDê
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is where I'm gonna keep a sensory strategies journal, mostly for myself but hopefully it helps somebody reading this.

One of the main sensory processing problems I have is changes in my sensory environment. Even imagining changes (particularly visual changes) can set off a physical response (making me agitated). For example, if I'm in a well-lit room and I imagine a darker space, my body will act as if I suddenly changed environments (from a real well-lit space to a real dim/dark space) even if only in my mind's eye rather than my physical eyes. Same thing if I'm in a dim/dark place and imagine a well-lit space.

This is annoying, because a lot of things I engage in, we all engage in, tied to our memories, are in well-lit places. So if I'm lying in bed, and a memory from my day arises, chances are I'm gonna be lying down in the dark with a well-lit memory going on in my mind. This can make it hard to go to sleep, so what I've trained myself to do is pretend the events in my memory occurred in dimmer spaces then they actually did. Sometimes, I imagine the space emptied of all people, imagining myself then flipping a light-switch or cutting power to the building if it's inside, or imagine the sun going down rapidly (like a timelapsed video) if outside. This allows me to reflect on things while winding down, without interrupting the unwinding process with agitation.

I can use this to my advantage, too. If I'm overstimulated in my body, but am in a soothing environment (dim, hushed/humming/brown-noise), I can visualise a lit or loud space slowly dimming and hushing itself into a drone, and it helps my body adjust and embrace the soothing environment.

Likewise, if I'm understimulated but I'm in a stimulating environment, I can adjust to this mismatch (sensory disintegration) by visualising a dark and quiet/droning environment becoming brighter and louder with more dynamic sounds.

It depends on where my body is internally, what's going on outside, what's in my mind's eye, and what sensations I want to flip on/off and which sensory stimuli I want to integrate and which I want to tune out.

When I fail to get a handle on this, my senses drag me around and my mind resists changes/transitions more often. In a way, I become more of a slave to my body.

I wonder if knowing my Body Type can actually help this. Enneagram is more about emotions and perceptions than sensory stuff, but I wonder if there's a link to senses through the Body Triad. I'm rusty with my theory. Maybe someone reading this can help me come up with more body hacks.

·
нånD gяênåDê
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also can imagine blue-light (the most stimulating wavelength) shifting to yellow or even orange/red, to trigger a soothing response, or the opposite to trigger a stimulating/engaging response.

·
нånD gяênåDê
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 7 of 7 Posts