Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something which I read somewhere, but cant find it now..

That it can be troublesome for the introverted?, either incomming or outgoing.
Can you relate to that?.

Throughout my childhood I have always made my parents call to somewhere, which i think is kinda normal. But it persisted quiete a long time into my teens.
I can just absolutely dread having to call somewhere or to someone.

In more recent years.. well, I can make a call, etc with much more ease. BUT, I also very often obsess, get anxious and restless when I am about to make a call, probably working myself up a little, like.. literally walking back and forth in my room, walking in circles around the phone, occasionally looking at it, as if it is some dangerous or forbidden object. Thinking about what to say, etc.

Long befor reading anything about MBTI or other, i have always said that goodbyes espesially always feel and sound so odd.
The entire conversation can be good, but after saying goodbye I dont feel that great. Then perhaps it all just was wrong in some way.

However, to some degree, then this is an defence that has been built.
In dating and such, I once just called girls up, and we might talk for hours. I think one time i spoke with someone in 4+ hours straight, my ear was all sweaty, almost hurting, having to switch ear from time to time.

But now i might be refusing to talk befor we meet. Simply not wanting to talk before hand because i think it kinda spoils it. It can easily make wrong impressions, etc.
But which then might seem as if i am hiding something or that I am not interested in someone.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I hate talking on the phone even more than face to face conversation. The person on the phone can't read my body language as I move further from them as an indication that I'm done talking.

Text me if you need something. If you call, all you're gonna get is: "Yeah. Ok. Yeah. No. Right. Yeah. Ok." on loop.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hear you - I hate hate hate hate hate phones. They cause me plenty of stress
Rather have texts than phone conversations.

For logistical things i'm still ok.
But to really talk, i find it hard. There are even some topics i simply cannot do over the phone, because the dynamic of a phone conversation is too different (no body language, small silences when looking for the right word etc...)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I hate phone calls. It's hard to get the timing right in the conversation without physically having the other person. And talking to someone I don't know? So stressful.

I have been in multiple cars where they take the call over Bluetooth, so the call gets broadcast to everyone present, but then don't bother to tell the person they're talking to. The idea that I have an entire potential audience is frightening. So I stick to text unless it's a work call or my family. They know not to call unless it's necessary!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the part about missing body langauge, have it the same way. But talking on the phone is still one step up from texting.
Atleast there you then can get the tone of voice and such.
But then still, we usually sound nothing like what we do on the phone.
I once was really excited about meeting someone, until we spoke on the phone^^.

I like to think of it as steps of communication.
- Plain text without any extras, smileys "hehe" or anything.
- Text with extras.
- Voice call.
- Video and voice call.
- Meeting face to face.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with @Mirkwood phone calls are way better than texting! But I honestly prefer face to face. If I'm texting I have a lot of trouble opening up because I'm afraid it will be taken the wrong way. When it comes to text messaging I only like dealing with facts and plans, but on the phone I at least feel like we can have a somewhat decent conversation.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
You know that introvert saying? I love you so much I'll even talk on the phone with you. Yeah. Unless it's with my SO, I rather stay away from the phone. Rather text. I use mine for music and games mostly. Funny enough, my plan includes unlimited minutes and texts. Well, that's awkward. But unlimited texts makes me go wild. I usually write these giant texts that contain more than 1500 characters.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm Fortune 500 CEO when I'm on the phone, but that's only when the call is on my terms or when I'm in the mood.

Outgoing: I always have a pre-call ritual. Need to be reasonably dressed (not in boxers, etc), have shoes on, and if it's something like ordering food I need to write it down rather than relying on my memory.

Incoming: Sometimes I literally just stare at it while it rings because I don't "feel" like talking. If they leave me a voicemail message I get pissed because I hate dialing in then probably having to call them back in an hour or so. If I do answer it's usually a short or hastened call "Hello, *Lad* speaking.... not interested // okay mom... yes I'll remember to breathe today thanks for the reminder, bye."

Basically all the calls are either professional or some older person. Everyone else just texts.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know that introvert saying? I love you so much I'll even talk on the phone with you. Yeah. Unless it's with my SO, I rather stay away from the phone. Rather text. I use mine for music and games mostly. Funny enough, my plan includes unlimited minutes and texts. Well, that's awkward. But unlimited texts makes me go wild. I usually write these giant texts that contain more than 1500 characters.
xD, not one which I have heard, but I like it. Tho, I think it probably will apply to most people, since we will talk more with those which we like.
The girl i mentioned talking 4+ hours with, i also were kinda mad about. But mostly just a chat friend, the oldest one I have and probably the first, something like 16 years age.

And I absolutely know about writing giant texts :-O.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
In nearly every case, I would have to have caller ID AND be expecting the call to want to pick it up. :shocked:

Since that happens only once every few weeks, I basically own a cordless music box that entertains by lighting up and playing one quiet note five times. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I avoid the phone as much as possible though I don’t mind texts or email. I worked the night shift for 7 years so had the house phone and cell ringers always turned to ‘off’ during the day so I could sleep uninterrupted. Three years later, still off. I’ll talk to my mom but other phonecalls I’m required to make I deeply resent and get super frustrated with super easily.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with @Mirkwood phone calls are way better than texting! But I honestly prefer face to face. If I'm texting I have a lot of trouble opening up because I'm afraid it will be taken the wrong way. When it comes to text messaging I only like dealing with facts and plans, but on the phone I at least feel like we can have a somewhat decent conversation.
Yeah, exactly, tho I may be confusing in my standpoints on this, then a phone call is often better, and face to face ofcourse even better.
And yes, facts and plans are easier via text, I prefer getting adresses or whatever in text.

About being taken the wrong way, that can actually happen in any kind of communication (i just came to think about).
Just with face to face it is much less likely. Tho, that in a way is also wrong, because there is alot more signals, and therefore more to get wrong.. but also right.
Hmm..

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have been in multiple cars where they take the call over Bluetooth, so the call gets broadcast to everyone present, but then don't bother to tell the person they're talking to. The idea that I have an entire potential audience is frightening. So I stick to text unless it's a work call or my family. They know not to call unless it's necessary!

SHOCK!
I never thought about that option :frustrating:
I guess you would hear car noises though if that's the case.

Phone calls are private, not to be broadcasted.

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've always feared getting phone calls, but from my experience it's more satisfying to talk on the phone than to text. I just find texting more convenient for the other person, if they're busy then they can just text back when they're ready, instead of calling each other back all the time. I only like talking on the phone if I have a purpose for calling them, but calling just to chat is weird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.