Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Using your phone while on a date

Is it bad for one to use their phone on a date? For example a first date.

·
Banned
659 Posts
I would say yes. That said, standards are changing in our society and particularly younger groups have no issue with people taking out their phones during a conversation at lunch. I guess they've become so integral in our lives that people get a pass to some extent.

But for me - my date taking out their phone for any purpose other than to show me something implies I am boring them because clearly, I am not worthy of their attention. I can't think of many circumstances where, I - a socially inept INTP, would feel it was a good idea to start using my phone while I'm supposedly on a date.

·
Registered
748 Posts
When I'm on a date, or getting together with friends.. Than I put my phone away. For me it is sending a message that you are bored if you have your phone out and is staring at it.

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
If Im on a date or with friends, I generally leave my phone alone.

I have different ringtones for family in case its an emergency. And they generally ring me on land line so if they do ring on Mobile it probably is an emergency.

Reactions: Tega1

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Definitively yes. If you're trying your best in the first few dates, you shouldn't be looking at your phone.

It's a stone's throw away from yawning mid-conversation.

Obviously if it's something important, your date will understand, but you need to explain it to them so they don't misunderstand.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
Imo, outside a few extenuating circumstances YES absolutely, rude.

So for example I have children, when i have gone on a date I have kept my phone put away, but I have said if it alerts me to anything "I need to check this is not one of my children". Another example where I find it acceptable is if it is work related and time sensitive response. Of course emergencies like a text "mom just got hit by a car" are a reason to end date and get on phone.

So actually my view on this is not just date related. It is one of my biggest pet peeves when people arrange to socially interact and are all texting. Why in the world meet, just to sit by others to text? Or check social media etc, whatever.

I don't even let my kids or myself have phones at dinner table or out to eat. I truly believe that boundary forces us to communicate but also teaches them common courtesy. When my teenager gets updates and it dings I don't allow her to look until after dinner.

Actually my longest and most significant relationship ever that was a huge issue. He just never could set his phone to silent and ignore outside interaction and be involved in the direct moment. It really was rude.

If anything I get scolded by people for not being more receptive to text and talking on the phone and being obsessed with that. I am not trying to be rude I just am genuinely doing whatever it is I am doing and don't like interacting outside plan arrangements.

I think someone who cares so little about the impression they make they would stare at a phone while meeting someone initially should just get written off. But even if it's after more repor is built I genuinely as an entire lifestyle within my own home do not believe socializing with friends or mates, or family thru dinner or meeting should involve staring at a phone.

It's not just rude to a date. It's really just rude period! Imo

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
This reminds me of some Black Mirror thing on Netflix. I watched 4 minutes of the first episode and it summed up cuurrent life spot on. A bunch of Zombies on their phones, instead of brains though, they want instant gratification.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It is a disgusting, annoying, and disrespectful habit. The only positive is that it says a lot about the depth of a person. After all, someone who is playing (or whatever it is) on his or her phone during a date - of all moments - surely uses that toxic device 24/7. And who wants to go through more than one episode with said poor conversationalist..?

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Indeed. I use my cellular-device to call them an Uber™ all the time. [Should thing(s) go south beyond repair].

I also utilize my cellular-device for other purpose(s) during dates; such as answering speculative calls, looking up a place to go via GPS - or sharing playlists, or simple 'phone-type' discussions, I have also fallen asleep on dates, woken up with jacket(s) draped over me - and big eyes in my face, watching - claiming it was fine; Other dates, I have been stiff as a board (&) tediously disinterested - with an occasional yawn & glazed irises.

Depend(s) on the humanoid - I am more comfortable with some specimen(s), than others - to which such behaviors are more readily permissible; if not instinctive with some, (&) not with others.

I can be businesslike/rigid; or flexible/fun. It is the humanoids choice at hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts