Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! As I said I usually test as INFP, but I'm not 100% sure I totally fit it. I've also been labeled INFJ and ISFP. So thought I would see what the folks here think if I filled out some of these surveys!

Spades' What's My Type

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
I am a 23 year old female from a city in Canada. I am diagnosed with GAD, OCD and depression... life really dealt me a nice hand in that regard. I am, however, medicated and have been stable for about a year and a half since my last bad bout.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
I got an image of Yosemite National Park with this gorgeous sky (sorry, I tried to post a link but it won't let me). My first impression was of how beautiful the place is, and my first impulse was this sense of wanderlust as I am pretty tired of my life in the routine and doldrums of adult life (job, sleep, job, sleep, weekend...)I was really taken aback by the sky. I thought about places I have been that are similar to this scene, and how bad I want to go back. Then the thought crossed my mind that it may not be as beautiful in real life, I might just be walking around a field. But all in all, I focused on the beauty of this image and how much I was drawn to the rugged but colourful scenery.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
So... first of all, I have two favourite bands. One I have only seen once in the seven years I have been a fan of them, and it was actually just the lead singer's solo act. The other is a Canadian band that constantly tours and I have seen them twelve times in five years. So I'm going to pretend this is the first band, because if it was the second I'd be disappointed but not heartbroken because of how many times I've seen them and how often they're around. :p
If it was the first I would be totally destroyed and anxious internally at the thought of not being able to see them. However on the outside I'd be a bit jumpy but not totally showing my emotions. I'd be pressing whoever I was with to try and fix the car as quickly as possible and trying to offer suggestions, but honestly I'd probably be holding back tears. When I'm in an emotionally charged situation like that I tend to become rather energized, though.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I don't drink and I don't like partying, so it depends on the nature of the party. Given the circumstances though, I'd probably be interested in going if the party had to do with the band. I'd probably enjoy myself once there but it might be a bit of effort to convince myself to go.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
I'd be quite angry internally, but I'd probably listen first then try to make my point calmly. If they were really pushing my buttons though I'd lash out. And depending on the friend, I'd be evaluating the kind of person they are in my mind - though I never break friendships off over differences of opinion and belief.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
Depends on how serious the offense is. I'd get that awful constricted anger feeling inside my chest, and like the above, if it was really bad, I'd probably lash out and do something stupid. But in more minor cases, I'd just be really angry and wouldn't do anything, but also wouldn't be able to get it off my mind.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
My most important value, I think, is empathy and care for others. I highly value community and think we have a responsibility to take care of each other. I like being part of a pretty diverse community that still has shared experiences like location in common and it scares me that we are losing that in the digital age where we decide on who we associate based on them being similar to us. I'd call myself a liberal because I believe we should take care of our fellow human beings and I strongly believe in things like equal access to healthcare and education, however I think partisan, ideology-obsessed politics are ridiculous and accomplish little. I believe we're all equal and deserve equal opportunities because of that sense of care for others no matter who they are, but I hate the really angry, perpetually offended approach to social justice movements that have become popular lately. I also highly value knowledge and creativity. I think education is vital and helping to encourage people's talents is important. I value family. I value children. I value art. This has all been a learning process throughout my life. I've become more moderate lately, and I have particularly come to value strong families lately. Values change throughout your life depending on what you go through.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) I think that focus on empathy probably differentiates me from others. I am a sensitive person. I've recently come to realize I fit every single characteristic for "giftedness" as a child and was never properly identified as such, but if you read about how gifted adults turn out, that's me to a tee. I find it increasingly difficult to relate to most people my age because everyone is so "me me me" all the time, whereas I think just living and making sure you're trying to be a nice person is important. b) I would change the anxiety. I've been really anxious my entire life, particularly about my health. It's a big part of who I am, but it's not pleasant and if I didn't have to live with it, I imagine I'd have accomplished things - like travel, relationships, etc. - that I haven't.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
When I have a really strong gut feeling, I tend to go with it. However I often overcomplicate things by analyzing them to death, particularly when I'm anxious about a decision and how it will affect others. My "hunches" can be triggered when it comes to work and that sort of thing, but I have the strongest gut feelings when it comes to other people and if they are good or bad people, and those I almost always listen to because they've proven to almost always be right.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
I am most energized by creating. Whether it's writing (which I love), making videos, or even making a spreadsheet and collecting information or making a playlist I feel like I'm wasting time if I'm not creating something. I am energized by being around family and close friends, and being around kids. I am also really energized by art, particularly literature, film and music. b) What drains me most can probably be summed up by the fact that I work in a job where I have to do some marketing and sales stuff, and any hardcore salesy stuff just completely turns me off. And interacting one on one with people I don't know. I actually really love presenting to an audience, but I hate having to have one on one chit-chat with people I'm not familiar with. Business drains me.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
Hmm... I've gotten better about not repressing things as I get older. I used to have really bad social anxiety. I have a hard time with romantic relationships because I feel so deeply that I can't even bring myself to confess to the person. And I am definitely wilder in my head than I am externally. Some things that I really love, I don't fully express to others how much I love them because I'm either embarrassed or don't want others to insult things that mean a lot to me.

Herp's What's My Type Form

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I am very, very confident of the Fi part of me and that's probably the most dominant part of my personality. It's the N/S or P/J that I have more trouble with. I agree that I fit pretty well with INFP but I'm not sure if I'm as touchy-feely/as much of an idealist as that type is described as.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I really just want to be happy. I want to feel fulfilled. I want to have friends and family around me, and everyone to be happy themselves. I want to feel supported and like I'm part of a real community. (I realized this after four years of being miserable in university where I felt I didn't fit in at all.)

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
The three happiest time of my life were all times where I was getting to be creative every day, when I felt like I belonged, and when I was constantly doing new things. I operate best under those circumstances. "Being at my finest" really means I am happy, not anxious and feel like I am doing something with meaning. I like to wake up in the morning and be happy to be going to work at whatever I'm doing. Unfortunately I don't feel that way right now.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
I tend to often think I'm not good enough. When I hear about people with similar skills as me, it's not so much a feeling of jealousy but just a fear that I'm going to be replaced. And I guess this isn't really a feeling of inferiority, but more and more I feel like I don't fit in either with this period of time or this stage in my life, and that feels awful.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I think about what is going to make me happiest in the long run. I worry a lot about how my decisions will affect other people as well, but in the end I have realized I need to do what feels right and what will get me closest to that happy place again, because if I'm miserable it's not going to make anyone around me happy. For example, I am going back to school in September, and I know it's right for me, but I still worry about the effect it's going to have on my job.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I like working individually, but I like it best when I have a set of guidelines to go from but then make it my own. I love planning things, and I like implementing them when it's go-time, but the messy details in between those two stages I don't like as much. I like having control of things, but I'm not a super organized, control freak type. I mostly fly by the seat of my pants, but I like having control of flying by the seat of my pants.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
The first thing that came to my mind was the first time I went to my city's major film festival. It was my first year of university and I had tickets for a few movies but no clue what to expect. I ended up wandering over to one of the venues and just because of a series of weird accidents, met a couple of celebrities, had a lot of fun with other people who were there, and just fell totally in love with this festival. I've been going every year since. My memory is still so good that I can remember exact times when certain things happened, lol. Or that band I mentioned above that I've seen a ridiculous number of times, I can remember each of the dates, most of the set lists, what I was wearing...

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I am a combination of a visual and hands-on learner. I pick up things really quickly by[ reading, but I prefer to experiment hands-on. When I was in school the best learning I did was when I would read material and make my own notes and study guides./B]

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Not very, to be honest. I love the idea of organizing, and sometimes I go on streaks where I try to organize my stuff, but it never works out. I know where my stuff is, but it's not organized.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Usually I go by my emotions and past experiences, which sometimes makes me a bit biased. As I've matured I try to look for balanced information, which can unfortunately be difficult. I've become more open to hearing both sides of an idea, but the side I was already for usually wins.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
The first choice is pretty accurate to who I am. As I said, community is really important to me. But at the same time, I remain true to who I am because I really don't care what people - or at least, people who matter - think of me, other than avoiding doing things that hurt them.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I usually think before speaking. I prefer one-on-one communication when it's someone I know well, and when it's someone I don't know well I much prefer group discussion.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I do like to know where I'm jumping, but sometimes I just jump if I have a good feeling about it. I do think action says more than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
To be honest I'll probably stay home, unless my friends are doing something really fun.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I usually work well under stress. Having deadlines and so on doesn't freak me out, it makes me work better. However this is when it's in the zone of healthy stress. I almost need that to stay mentally healthy. When I don't have much going on, that's when I crash.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I hate people who are pretentious, who think they are better than others for whatever reason, who are narcissistic, who always think they are right, who only associate with people who believe the same things they do, who put others down to raise themselves up, who act like they don't care about anything to be cool.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I like talking about people's experiences, their interests, and just stories about themselves best. Like I have a lot in common with my friends but I don't really like talking to them about our shared favourite TV shows or whatever, I prefer talking about stuff we've been through (funny or serious), what they're doing, etc.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
I probably pay less attention than most people to social norms. I don't care about the chase of what you're "supposed to be doing" at certain points in your life, etc. I care very little about money, status and possessions.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends describe me most often as "smart" and "really nice". I think they don't realize how emotional I am, and they probably don't realize how independent I can be. They would probably never call me particularly outgoing.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'll probably sleep in, waste some of it on YouTube, write a bit, read, and hopefully spend some time doing something fun and different with friends or family.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
You're an interesting one for sure. I'm pretty confident you're on the Ne/Si axis, but as far as Fi vs. Fe goes, I'm actually not positive about which one you are. Most of what you've written here seems to click well with Fi, but the one glaring exception is your emphasis on community, which matches up extremely well with Fe and is usually the antithesis of Fi, and that's what's ultimately throwing me off here. I have a few questions to try to clarify which function you use.

1. Can you talk more about what community at its best would look like for you?

2. In said community, would people's value systems all be interconnected and blended into one cohesive unit to ensure maximum harmony? For example, values such as kindness, politeness, etc. becoming universal for everyone. Why or why not would you want this to take place?

3. If you became acquainted with an individual who was not considered "normal" by society but had mixed feelings about wanting acceptance from others, what would be your advice for him/her?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think you're an ISFJ. The thing is, you say you're sure about Fi, but to me you really seem much more Fe. And yeah, Ne/Si axis is obvious, but I notice more Si than Ne. Like when you say you go by past experiences, and experiences in general are important to you; you want to talk about them. Also this whole community thing is a very Si/Fe sentiment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I guess I'm a difficult one to place hope these answers will help:

1. Can you talk more about what community at its best would look like for you?
When I mean I like to feel part of a community, I really mean that I like having a support network of people where we're not all necessarily best friends, but I feel I have something in common and something to give. the best example is that I was very comfortable in high school, even though I didn't like everybody, because you're forced by proximity to function as a unit. I like hearing the various stories and seeing all of the different people. When I got to university, I was miserable because suddenly I was just a number with nothing in common with most people. Once I graduated I got my current job at a small business and I love being part of both the group of strange but wonderful people I work with, as well as being able to be part of what's going on locally in town. It may seem strange since I'm an introvert, but I don't like being an island.

2. In said community, would people's value systems all be interconnected and blended into one cohesive unit to ensure maximum harmony? For example, values such as kindness, politeness, etc. becoming universal for everyone. Why or why not would you want this to take place?
The best example of my answer here would probably be defined by my status as a Cqnadian. Our culture and history is such that this is a country of very different landscapes, full of immigrants who are encouraged to keep their home cultures, and people from various areas are very different- but we're still all Canadian. We generally have the same values, but we're not (and we're not encouraged to be) totally the same. Somehow we have functioned for 150 years as a country that in many ways could be very divided but somehow manages to be one. I value this about Canadian identity. I think things are more interesting when people have basic things in common, but aren't totally the same. I like hearing different people's stories.

3. If you became acquainted with an individual who was not considered "normal" by society but had mixed feelings about wanting acceptance from others, what would be your advice for him/her?
Not totally sure what you're getting at here but most of the people I am friends with are not considered "normal" by society. Like myself most of them are aware of what is considered normal but just do their own thing. I don't like it when people try really hard to fit into the norm, but I also don't like it when people try to be different on purpose to make a statement. I would just advise the person to be themselves, know they may run into judgement, but be prepared for that and not worry too much about it. And not to put up walls between themselves and others.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What you wrote above makes you seem even more Fe. Why do you think you are an Fi-user (INFP in particular)?

By the way, are you an Enneatype 6 (if you're into the Enneagram)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After doing some reading, my understanding of Fi/Fe was off. What I should have said was that I know I am introverted and a feeler. Now that I understand what it's actually about I totally agree that I'm more Fe.

As for why I thought I was INFP, that's just what I have almost always tested as in the past... But I personally wasn't sure if that totally fits me.

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
After doing some reading, my understanding of Fi/Fe was off. What I should have said was that I know I am introverted and a feeler. Now that I understand what it's actually about I totally agree that I'm more Fe.

As for why I thought I was INFP, that's just what I have almost always tested as in the past... But I personally wasn't sure if that totally fits me.
That's kind of what I thought you meant when you said you were "Fi" since you didn't mention any other functions in your OP. As for what your type is, I definitely think ISFJ is a strong possibility. Many ISFJ descriptions online aren't all that flattering, but I've listed a couple really good ones below.

- arendeepsyche.com (it won't let me link directly to it, but it's on the site)
- ISFJ Personality (“The Defender�) | 16Personalities
- http://ericbeeson.heliohost.org/PersonalityTypeQuiz/isfj.html (this one is a bit less flattering, but it runs through the functions well)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting! And I didn't find any of those profiles particularly unflattering. However after reading up on the type, I think I might be an INFJ. The dedication to others and aversion to change from ISFJ fits, but definitely not the "socially conventional" parts, the easy connection to the world around me or the "defender" archetype. INFJ seems like a nice bridge between ISFJ and INFP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts