Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes people have valid needs that just cannot be met immediately, creating temporary periods of insanity.

What is your reaction to this statement?

Can you think of ways you relate to it?

Do you agree/disagree?

Please discuss.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After posting this same statement on facebook, a friend quoted this for me:

"Social isolation is the number one risk factor in developing a schizoform or psychotic disorder. Without mature coping mechanisms, a lack of quality interaction will produce a pathological psyche even within someone with a perfectly 'normal' brain" -So the lack of quality interaction does play a great role in behaviour disorders and can eventually make a normal person psychotic. The DSM IV is full of adjustment disorder classifications, the recovery from these has to do with change of environment. So interaction can make you sick or can make you well depending on who you are interacting with.

---I felt so validated, there are no words. (Actually, that's not true. There are ALWAYS words...but I will refrain from over explaining. LOL)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It makes sense. We all know someone who has been "broken" by their circumstances; who was otherwise normal until their circumstances changed.

For example, if I'm kept cooped up in the house for a long period of time, I definitely get cabin fever, which makes me easier to frustrate and harder to focus.

·
Registered
466 Posts
While this is totally valid, I'd like to point out that insanity is a legal term and the context in which it's used requires me to say, "That's for your lawyer to decide."

However, to further support what's been said...look at all the people who use the insanity plea who actually had something shitty happen to them and because of this, they weren't charged. Whether they should have actually gotten off is another debate entirely, but I really don't want to get into that here because of all the specifics involved...so I won't.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@bellisaurius - Yes, exactly. I've been working really hard for the last couple years to get a balanced perspective on myself. I've been judging myself very harshly for not being able to function on par with what I expect to be capable of (based on myself from the past), as far as empathy and patience with family, etc.

After having a few conversations with some close friends recently, I suddenly realized I have had very core needs completely unmet for years. Knowing this helped me to see that, though my family and friends deserve my empathy and patience, I don't need to judge myself so very harshly for not being able to provide it recently.

It's also helped me to know what to do to overcome this (ie find balanced ways to get my needs met). I feel empowered and relieved.

Interesting, @hylogenesis! I hadn't even considered that context. Thank you for contributing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had cabin fever for 10 years. I tend to cope by self-talk. No I'm not crazy. Yes I'm agitated frequently.

Reactions: Berdudget

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I agree with the OP - after a relationship ended and my cat got rehomed both things sent me insane. I'm still dealing with the aftermath even now (5 months down the line - when it all began)

Reactions: Berdudget
1 - 7 of 7 Posts