Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often hear people, especially older folk, say that our generation has lost some sense of morality or strong values, etc. So, do you think our generation has weaker values/morals than previous generations? What do you think your strongest values are? And how do they compare to people from previous generations, like your parents?

Oh, and anything else you'd like to share is welcome too. :proud:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe with all my heart that previous generations has always had screwed up people, The difference with our generation is that our antics are all exposed through the internet and people believe that were screwed because of what they see. But they were of generations that were no different than us. So I think that GenZers do have good morals and values, you just have to find the right people.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
I often hear people, especially older folk, say that our generation has lost some sense of morality or strong values, etc. So, do you think our generation has weaker values/morals than previous generations? What do you think your strongest values are? And how do they compare to people from previous generations, like your parents?

Oh, and anything else you'd like to share is welcome too. :proud:
I think people tend to mistake "values" for "conservatism". The majority of the people I know who tend to be above the age of 50-60 tend to be conservative. That said, this of course could just be very skewed within my particular circle, so my experience is not even remotely able to be generalized to a larger demographic.

In any case, I have a very strong sense of morality, if morality is defined by the well-being or suffering of conscious-creatures. I'm a vegetarian because I disagree with enslaving animals for the purposes of our own food when there are other non-meat alternatives available. I care very deeply towards the well-being of all people in the world. I strongly believe in rehabilitation rather than punishment. The list goes on, but the value of universal well-being is important to me.

I value truth, and I believe that science, logic, skepticism, rationality, naturalism, and empiricism are the best tools we have for uncovering reality. I strongly, strongly believe in these projects. I think intellectual honesty and open discussion is incredibly important too.

Lastly, I strongly value diversity, and while not all opinions are worthy of belief or have equal merit, I strongly believe that all opinions should have the chance to be voiced without fear of reprisal.

I have other values, but those tend to be the main ones.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Do you think our generation has weaker values/morals than previous generations?
I don't think so. In previous generations people were more limitated because society was more closed, strict and stiff. Maybe that's why it seems now that we have more freedom we're lack of values. But, at the contrary, I think we, Gen Zs, have more knowledge around us (because of Internet and so on) and it's helping to increase our values and other generations' in societies all around the world. Nowadays we are more conscious of things.

What do you think your strongest values are?
I care about nature. I care about other's well-being. I care about a responsible consumption of water... And more. And I try to help in all of them with little actions.

And how do they compare to people from previous generations, like your parents?
My parents have a huge heart both of them and most of my values I've learnt derive from them. However, there are also values I've followed by myself.

The thing is that older generations will always compare themselves with modern generations and in reverse.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
No, Gen Zs morals are not weaker, they're actually stronger, with the exception of me.

My strongest value is my vindictiveness. Except when it comes to a few people who I know I can trust, I never forgive or forget. I'm also a really poor sport and sore loser. I used to ruin other people's games when I was a kid because I almost always got picked last. I nearly got kicked out of school for that kind of thing. If I can't have fun, nobody can.

My parents are the same way. They're both very vindictive when it comes to people slighting them. My father used to cause fights all the time with all kinds of people because he was different from them and they didn't like that. My mother is less like that, but she still doesn't let people get away with being rude to her.

Reactions: Halcyon

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Fun fact, there are known texts from ancient Egypt that contain complaints about the younger generations having no values. Just so you know. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts

Weak values? Yes. Weaker than the previous ones? No.

Individuality (not individualism). I'm a firm believer of letting others be who they are without them having to feel ashamed for doing so.

My parents are heavy Te and Fe users which can make them over-generalizing which tends to infuritate me.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Not really. We as a whole have quite strong values and morals because so many of us are more "aware" of the happenings around the world than previous generations. However, we are also quite cynical because we are aware of so much.

Appreciation and strong inquisitiveness.

My parents (my culture in general) believe in complete subordination without any questions.

Reactions: Halcyon
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.