Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't smoke, I'm not interested in becoming addicted to Nicotine. But I can't lie:
https://epipemods.com
these are cool, and the vapors smells good when I'm around other people. like candy.

I'd be tempted to get one of those pipes and nicotine free vaper juice if I weren't concerned about the toxicity of inhaling that stuff.

the vegetable glycerin and distilled water seem to be harmless enough. and the P-glycol or whatever is supposedly harmless as well since it is in asthma inhalers... Is this true?

the flavorings though? even if the above is true, the flavorings seems to be a wild card because apparently there are foods that, when inhaled, cause damage. like fake popcorn butter which is supposedly used in vaper cigarettes.

I don't know. any of you out there have experience in this? I love cotton candy, and if I could inhale it without making myself sick... (hehehe)
with one of those sick pipes (hehehe)

also, do you have to inhale it into your lungs? couldn't you just suck on it like a cigar. seems like you should still be able to taste it if you keep it in your mouth, and that would be safer since the concern with some of these ingredients is not how they digest but how they affect the lungs

edit: just found a site that said vaping is more enjoyable if you don't inhale but hold it in your mouth instead... so ugh. I might start vaping. smoking nicotine-free candy lol.

edit 2: just thinking, I live in Cancer Alley next to 2 oil refineries, a sugar refinery, close to a coffee plant, etc. Should I really be worried about the chemicals in an vaping device?

·
Registered
ENTP
3,558 Posts
@grandpa2390 I imagine you’re going to have a few people tell you about the horrible outcomes of breathing or even not inhaling artificial flavors, but here’s the deal: EVERYTHING IS TRYING TO KILL YOU. If you want to feel better about it then holding some vapor in your mouth is trying to kill you to some exponent LESS than actual sugar so have at it I say!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@grandpa2390 I imagine you’re going to have a few people tell you about the horrible outcomes of breathing or even not inhaling artificial flavors, but here’s the deal: EVERYTHING IS TRYING TO KILL YOU. If you want to feel better about it then holding some vapor in your mouth is trying to kill you to some exponent LESS than actual sugar so have at it I say!
I don't know. i'd probably never vape.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
I don't really see the point in allowing yourself to essentially be a guinea pig for an industry which only cares about money and not at all about your health or well-being. No one knows the long-term effects of vaping. Why take so much risk for vapor that smells like candy?

Not to mention all the douchey connotations that have already been attached to it. The general consensus on vaping is that it's obnoxious and juvenile.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey man, I don’t own any stock in a vaping company so I don’t actually care. You just sounded like you wanted permission so I gave you a solid reason to go on.
meh. I didn't think you did.

I don't really see the point in allowing yourself to essentially be a guinea pig for an industry which only cares about money and not at all about your health or well-being. No one knows the long-term effects of vaping. Why take so much risk for vapor that smells like candy?

Not to mention all the douchey connotations that have already been attached to it. The general consensus on vaping is that it's obnoxious and juvenile.
right, well. first, i really don't care what the general consensus on vaping is. I don't smoke, and vaping isn't something that I'd do out in public anyway. But I know people who vape, and I disagree with your assessment of the connotation. Perhaps the people you know who vape carry that connotation. but there are people who do a lot of things that carry that connotation. (you certain you're an INFJ?).

Anyways, I like candy. lol.
but as I already said before, I would probably not vape. I would not want to associate myself with a smoker.
I think some of the ingredients have been studied though. And I happen to agree with @Haldir even if it doesn't lead me to vape. you can't do anything in the world today because everything causes cancer. I eat fast food pretty much everyday because I don't have time or money to prepare food myself that is organic. I sit in traffic. I drink water from the Mississippi River near the Gulf, I breathe the air from many refineries and factories... It's hard to be afraid of something like vaping being a huge risk compared to everything else I do.
Vaping or not, I'm probably going to die the same way. lol. That doesn't justify vaping, but it certainly puts a fear of it, specifically, into perspective. I take many risks for things that tastes like candy. and we don't know the long term effects of those things, and what we suspect is not good. for every soda I drink or candy I eat, I am probably increasing my risks of diabetes and dementia.

anyways, I'm interested in facts, not propaganda. I'm too old to be influenced by how everyone else sees something. And I am an ENTP, not an SJ.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Haldir

I was kinda into the idea yesterday... but I'm past it for the time being. i'm still interested in the idea of eating candy without actually eating it, but there is something about the idea of vaping that turns me off. too much like smoking.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
meh. I didn't think you did.

right, well. first, i really don't care what the general consensus on vaping is. I don't smoke, and vaping isn't something that I'd do out in public anyway. But I know people who vape, and I disagree with your assessment of the connotation. Perhaps the people you know who vape carry that connotation. but there are people who do a lot of things that carry that connotation. (you certain you're an INFJ?).

Anyways, I like candy. lol.
but as I already said before, I would probably not vape. I would not want to associate myself with a smoker.
I think some of the ingredients have been studied though. And I happen to agree with @Haldir even if it doesn't lead me to vape. you can't do anything in the world today because everything causes cancer. I eat fast food pretty much everyday because I don't have time or money to prepare food myself that is organic. I sit in traffic. I drink water from the Mississippi River near the Gulf, I breathe the air from many refineries and factories... It's hard to be afraid of something like vaping being a huge risk compared to everything else I do.
Vaping or not, I'm probably going to die the same way. lol. That doesn't justify vaping, but it certainly puts a fear of it, specifically, into perspective. I take many risks for things that tastes like candy. and we don't know the long term effects of those things, and what we suspect is not good. for every soda I drink or candy I eat, I am probably increasing my risks of diabetes and dementia.

anyways, I'm interested in facts, not propaganda. I'm too old to be influenced by how everyone else sees something. And I am an ENTP, not an SJ.
Just a reminder, questioning someone's type without their asking violates the rules here at PerC, so please refrain from that.

Even if you don't agree with there being those connotations (I think there's plenty of evidence for that, but whatever), the health risks are just too high, imo. At least with smoking regular cigarettes you already know the long-term effects of tabacco. Can't say that for vaping.

Edit: I'd advise refraining from the typism as well (SJs being the ones who care about what people think; that's a weird and unnecessary diss).

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just a reminder, questioning someone's type without their asking violates the rules here at PerC, so please refrain from that.
so is being rude and disrespecful. so you should please refrain from that Ms. Global Mod.
Even if you don't agree with there being those connotations (I think there's plenty of evidence for that, but whatever), the health risks are just too high, imo. At least with smoking regular cigarettes you already know the long-term effects of tabacco. Can't say that for vaping.

Edit: I'd advise refraining from the typism as well (SJs being the ones who care about what people think; that's a weird and unnecessary diss).
that's not a diss. at all. you see it as a diss because you are already judgmental and rude, hold general populations in contempt, and are in the business of "dissing" other people. but to friendlier, unprejudiced, people, it is just a fact (or extremely well-supported stereotype). SJs are the types most likely to care about social convention. There's nothing wrong with that.
I am too old to care what other people think. and I am an ENTP, not an SJ, so I don't care much for social convention either. my comment was two separate points, not one. that's why there was an "and" in between there. Maybe you don't see it, but I have an ISTJ friend who doesn't care what other people think and cares about social convention at the same time. there's a difference, and it's called maturity.

truthfully, you claim other people are douchey, but I'm getting that impression from you. All of your contempt for other people...
I thought I had contempt for smokers, but that's only when they are smoking near me. otherwise, i could care less. you on the other hand... my contempt for other people is nothing compared to yours.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,558 Posts
@Haldir

I was kinda into the idea yesterday... but I'm past it for the time being. i'm still interested in the idea of eating candy without actually eating it, but there is something about the idea of vaping that turns me off. too much like smoking.
You mentioned something about maturity in regard to what our friendly neighborhood “pick an unnecessary fight” interloper had to say. As it pertains to this particular discussion I’d say there is something else that follows from a modicum of maturity: Not giving people shit about their idiosyncratic and often hypocritical preferences for what they do and don’t do or like and don’t like.

I am in no position whatsoever to throw stones about your predilections as they pertain to tobacco, vaping, or even junk food or sugar. You’re as informed as could reasonably be expected, and you’re a big boy. Do as you please. I don’t drink regular soda because I don’t like the idea of that much sugar, but I will eat the last crumb of a peanut butter cookie off a sewer drain if that’s what is required. We’re all completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You mentioned something about maturity in regard to what our friendly neighborhood “pick an unnecessary fight” interloper had to say. As it pertains to this particular discussion I’d say there is something else that follows from a modicum of maturity: Not giving people shit about their idiosyncratic and often hypocritical preferences for what they do and don’t do or like and don’t like.

I am in no position whatsoever to throw stones about your predilections as they pertain to tobacco, vaping, or even junk food or sugar. You’re as informed as could reasonably be expected, and you’re a big boy. Do as you please. I don’t drink regular soda because I don’t like the idea of that much sugar, but I will eat the last crumb of a peanut butter cookie off a sewer drain if that’s what is required. We’re all completely ridiculous.
Well said.

I haven't had a peanut butter cookie in sooo long... :( now I want a peanut butter cookie :)

I have a love of sweets only Albus Dumbledore would understand. Unfortunately, I don't have magic powers to eat them and still be healthy by drinking some sort of potion. :(

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,889 Posts
@grandpa2390

I'm going to say it's an expensive proposition just to get a little "vapor candy" in your mouth. I suspect you could just get some hard candies, gum, or breath mints, and they'd probably be better for you (or at least cheaper, and less potentially harmful). I just don't see the point of vaping if you're not doing the nicotine. It's just another oral fixation, I suppose. Inhaling anything (other than air) is generally not a great idea in the long run.

Reactions: grandpa2390

·
Registered
ENTP
3,558 Posts
I haven't had a peanut butter cookie in sooo long... :( now I want a peanut butter cookie :)
Ugh, I bought an expensive one that is amazing from a local bakery today thinking it would be nice to have for a Christmas dessert. I promptly ate half of it, and I’ll be surprised if it makes Christmas morning. No tears will be shed.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@grandpa2390

I'm going to say it's an expensive proposition just to get a little "vapor candy" in your mouth. I suspect you could just get some hard candies, gum, or breath mints, and they'd probably be better for you (or at least cheaper, and less potentially harmful). I just don't see the point of vaping if you're not doing the nicotine. It's just another oral fixation, I suppose. Inhaling anything (other than air) is generally not a great idea in the long run.
yeah. I like pipes though as well. I'll stick to hard candies and my bubble pipe :)

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
so is being rude and disrespecful. so you should please refrain from that Ms. Global Mod.

that's not a diss. at all. you see it as a diss because you are already judgmental and rude, hold general populations in contempt, and are in the business of "dissing" other people. but to friendlier, unprejudiced, people, it is just a fact (or extremely well-supported stereotype). SJs are the types most likely to care about social convention. There's nothing wrong with that.
I am too old to care what other people think. and I am an ENTP, not an SJ, so I don't care much for social convention either. my comment was two separate points, not one. that's why there was an "and" in between there. Maybe you don't see it, but I have an ISTJ friend who doesn't care what other people think and cares about social convention at the same time. there's a difference, and it's called maturity.

truthfully, you claim other people are douchey, but I'm getting that impression from you. All of your contempt for other people...
I thought I had contempt for smokers, but that's only when they are smoking near me. otherwise, i could care less. you on the other hand... my contempt for other people is nothing compared to yours.
Goodness. That really didn't need to escalate, but all right. Wasn't aware that I was being rude, simply stating what I've observed and heard from others.

And I'm trying to nudge you in the right direction without coming down on you for rule-breaking behavior (because watching out for that sort of thing is, well, my job). There was no reason to make things so personal.

Reactions: grandpa2390

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Goodness. That really didn't need to escalate, but all right. Wasn't aware that I was being rude, simply stating what I've observed and heard from others.

And I'm trying to nudge you in the right direction without coming down on you for rule-breaking behavior (because watching out for that sort of thing is, well, my job). There was no reason to make things so personal.
Thank you for saying that.

·
Registered
I thimk INTP
14,372 Posts
edit: just found a site that said vaping is more enjoyable if you don't inhale but hold it in your mouth instead... so ugh. I might start vaping. smoking nicotine-free candy lol.

edit 2: just thinking, I live in Cancer Alley next to 2 oil refineries, a sugar refinery, close to a coffee plant, etc. Should I really be worried about the chemicals in an vaping device?
I would avoid anything that ADDS to your risk. With that environment you might be dragged over the edge.

As for rules, here is the rule:
11. No Discriminatory Remarks
Discriminatory remarks are unacceptable. This includes racism, sexism, offensive remarks about (or against) religion* or gender identity, physical attributes (size, height, etc.), and homophobic remarks. We also prohibit typism: We will not tolerate broad generalizations and/or individual attacks that are meant to degrade by personality type. (Joking is acceptable; but if a member asks that a particular line of joking stop and it persists anyway, staff will take corrective action.)

Definition typism (adj. n.):

1. A pejorative where a person is denied a service or opportunity based on their personality type.
2. A form of discrimination and an attempt to explain, validate and excuse their negative behavior.
3. Assigning negative or insulting stereotypes based on typology with little to no verification.

If you want to discuss it, PM me or another mod.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I would avoid anything that ADDS to your risk. With that environment you might be dragged over the edge.

As for rules, here is the rule:
11. No Discriminatory Remarks
Discriminatory remarks are unacceptable. This includes racism, sexism, offensive remarks about (or against) religion* or gender identity, physical attributes (size, height, etc.), and homophobic remarks. We also prohibit typism: We will not tolerate broad generalizations and/or individual attacks that are meant to degrade by personality type. (Joking is acceptable; but if a member asks that a particular line of joking stop and it persists anyway, staff will take corrective action.)

Definition typism (adj. n.):

1. A pejorative where a person is denied a service or opportunity based on their personality type.
2. A form of discrimination and an attempt to explain, validate and excuse their negative behavior.
3. Assigning negative or insulting stereotypes based on typology with little to no verification.

If you want to discuss it, PM me or another mod.
well gee, I haven't done any of that. so there's nothing to discuss with me.

Ugh, I bought an expensive one that is amazing from a local bakery today thinking it would be nice to have for a Christmas dessert. I promptly ate half of it, and I’ll be surprised if it makes Christmas morning. No tears will be shed.
how's it coming?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts