Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introduction
My name is Johnson. I've also gone by John and Johnny as well, but it doesn't make much difference to me. My interest in typology has recently surfaced once again, and this time I've decided to try and keep it around. Ever since my first psychology course at Bellingham Technical College, I've had a soft spot for typology. My professor, Mr. Oekerman, had everybody in the class take an online MBTI test. I was baffled at how accurate my type description was, and after expressing my enthusiasm to Mr. Oekerman, he recommended the book Please Understand Me II. I've read the book front to back a few times and reference it frequently still, however, after spending the past couple of years dabbling in online forums and doing my own research into MBTI, I decided I needed more.

I recently bought a handful of books for my Kindle relating to typology (not just MBTI) and I just started reading Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type. ​As I was reading tonight, the thought occurred to me to start a blog. For the most part, I will be writing this as my own documentation of observational research into typology, focusing mainly on my own MBTI type (INTJ) until I have enough knowledge to confidently and accurately type other people. I've also grown fond of the enneagram but I'm still new to the theory and haven't even discovered my wing with complete confidence yet. I believe myself to be a 4w5.

​On the auxiliary process in introverts
Tonight I came to realize that I don't spend enough time working with my auxiliary process. As an INTJ, that would mean extroverted thinking (Te). While I was reading, I found out that introverts pay a larger penalty for an underdeveloped auxiliary process than extroverts. Since the dominant process of introverts will always be introverted in the EI preference, they must rely on their auxiliary process to handle the outside world with it's extroversion. This is probably a factor in why introverted people tend to be a little more awkward than extroverted people. Since they use their auxiliary process to communicate with the outside world, all but those closest to the introvert are basically seeing them in their "second-best" frame of mind.

With my dominant process being Ni, not only is the introversion a bit of an obstacle for me, the fact that intuition is a perceptive preference is also a problem. I spend so much time focused on Ni that I get lost in my own head sometimes. Reality is a dream and my mind space is wakefulness. This can be fantastic in moderation. The creative potential and practice for critical thinking you gain from Ni is unrivaled. Abusing this process, as I often do, can be very counterproductive. You forget that there are concrete tasks that need tending. If I focus too much on Ni and completely neglect Te (my auxiliary process) it can get so bad that I could be compared to a vegetable. I get so lost in my own world of ideas and thoughts that I forget to feed myself new information and eventually start walking around like a zombie with nothing interesting to say.

I'm not sure if it's common for INTJ's to focus too much on Ni but it wouldn't surprise me. From now on, I'll be paying a little more attention to Te​ in hopes of becoming a more well rounded individual. Thanks for reading! Comments and questions are encouraged.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts