Personality Cafe banner

Are you a vegetarian?

• Yep - I'm an idealist and/or don't like the taste

Votes: 68 42.5%
  • I'm one of those awful crossover 'I only eat white meat' types

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • "I'm thinking about it"

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • No - My dietician says I'll die if I try.

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • MORE MEAT NOW! RARGH

Votes: 47 29.4%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we prefer to cuddle animals or slit their throats, bleed and skin them, cut them up and chuck it on a plate?

Reactions: Acey

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you picked the more 'enthusiastic' of the Meat options :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm vegetarian...ish, I suppose. I don't eat land animals, more because of the way they're severely mistreated during life than thinking it's immoral to eat another animal. It's natural, but not the way we do it. But I LOVE seafood, and I guess I try to justify that to myself by saying most seafood is wild caught, so it's less inhumane, as the fish or crab has a good chance of surviving and living a natural life.
The biggest qualm I have with meat is the overdependence on it in western countries, most particularly the US. All the grain that goes to feed the cows that ultimately end up in Big Macs to feed Americans who really don't need the fourth serving of meat that day could be used to feed world populations (90% of the energy from food is lost when it's used to feed an organism who then proceeds to feed another). If it's not downright ignorance, it's selfishness (this is only the tip of my very long and rather repetitive rant from which I shall spare you!).

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I see you picked the more 'enthusiastic' of the Meat options :p
well i didn't want to lie and say it as dietician..though i thought the dietican thing might've been a joke...it's hard not to sound like an asshole, i mean you could've put the option just"nope i meat"but you had to make me sound like a velciraptor :p

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
But isn't a byproduct of society telling us eating meat is the norm? We aren't meant to be anything.

YouTube - The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
thing is i consider plants just as alive as you and me. nothing is more innocent than a plant, they can't be agressive to anything they do only what they envolved to do and nothing else. the death of a plant is just as bad as it is to n animal. yeh we really should treat the animals more humanily, but honestly even if i wanted to i wouldn't have commitment need to give up on meat:sad:

you guys are guilt tripping me i feel empathy but not sympathy

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
For about Six years I've been one.It wasn't hard for me really at all meat always tended
to make me sick,I always have hated the smell of it.
I started initially with giving up eating hot dogs and bacon a year before being full blown veggie.
After you're one for some time when someone cooks meat it smells A LOT
different at least to me anyway and makes you want to throw up and run out of
the room.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plants lack a brain and if you hit them with a stick they're not going to cry out in pain. They're alive, sure, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Even vegans eat plants!

On another note, Vegetarian for 8 1/2 years here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Plants are made to be eaten. I don't just say that because I'm trying to defend my point of view, or give you a "that's just how things are" lecture, but most fruit-bearing plants spread their seeds through having the fruit eaten and seeds spread about in the animal's exrement. That's why plants have evolved to have edible fruit.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Plants are made to be eaten. I don't just say that because I'm trying to defend my point of view, or give you a "that's just how things are" lecture, but most fruit-bearing plants spread their seeds through having the fruit eaten and seeds spread about in the animal's exrement. That's why plants have evolved to have edible fruit.
i know and of course i eat plants.i have alot of respect for vegetarians. i'm sorry but i'll never be one.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I don't eat meat. Not because of the idealism behind it or the animals, but because I just don't like it.

Also, there is such a thing as fruitarian, where you only eat the parts of a plant that that wouldn't kill it to be harvested. Too bad I could never pull that off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Honestly, I've wanted to be for over a year now, but I'm a minor and not supporting myself right now. My mother says I can't be a vegetarian until I'm buying my own food, so I'm researching right now and plotting for when that day finally arrives... :laughing: So I chose "I'm thinking about it."

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, there is such a thing as fruitarian, where you only eat the parts of a plant that that wouldn't kill it to be harvested. Too bad I could never pull that off.
That's like the path of a nun, in the vegetarian world. The amount of discipline...

Reactions: Nomenclature

·
Registered
38 Posts
i know and of course i eat plants.i have alot of respect for vegetarians. i'm sorry but i'll never be one.
Thank you :happy: I wish everyone were that nice when I say I'm vegetarian. Instead, I get the customary "Why?" accompanied by the look and succeded by the mandated "But it's just meat..." and the conversation ended with the "Oh, you're one of those people," and my day now sucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I give respect to those who are vegans, I could never be one, I've had animals stuffed down my throat since I was born.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't have any problem with people eating meat; I think it's the natural course of things. I just don't think it should be eaten as often as it is, and I hate the way animals are being treated because we eat so much.
I'm a vegetarian simply because I don't want to be part of it. I could just try to buy only local meat where I knew the animals were being treated well, but it's easier to cut it out of my diet completely.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Senhorfrio I gotta say, much respect for standing your ground

Though we'll make you conform yet :D
my type two wants to do it to make you happy, my type 4 is telling me to be my own man, and my type 6 is just upset at being put in this situation:tongue:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts