Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After any sort of high energy or draining activity/period of time, I have to do this thing where I do something mind numbing like watch videos while my subconscious mind sort of processes what has happened in a sense. I'm afraid i might just be making excuses to not be productive. Is this completely normal or can too much of this lead to depression? And does anyone else do a similar sort of thing?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Relaxing and recollecting your thoughts is productive in a sense, but I watching mind-numbing is not calming. Take a bath, listen to music, read a book, take care of something that needs to be done without much effort!

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
As for whether it is good or leads to depression - I'd say it could go either way, maybe both simultaneously. My subconscious indeed needs plenty of time to process and think; honestly, many of the answers to the questions I ask myself come while listening to old music or staring at the television, where I am distracted by sensory input but not really being stimulated by it. However, my depression worsens when I use the time to brood. If I'm consciously on a broodworthy topic and I decide to go and veg out at that point it only gets worse.

It may well be worth trying to avoid it entirely if you feel you're wasting time; my vegging-out does tend to produce tangible results, in that in the midst of it or afterwards I can answer the questions more clearly which a few hours earlier I had no answers to. This, to me, is evidence of my subconscious at work.

I think it's a very subjective topic, so your mileage may vary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts