Personality Cafe banner

Do you prefer Vertical or Horizontal lines for organization and aesthetic appeal?

• Vertical

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Horizontal

Votes: 24 58.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, this is really random.
1. Do you find yourself more attracted to vertical lines or horizonal lines - aesthetically?
2. Do you find you prefer to organize things into vertical columns or horizonal rows?
Can you explain why at all?
(a slight personal theory on this is that horizontal things appear more steady and restful while vertical things appear more precarious, but also more gracefull)

This question has been on my mind since childhood actually, because in my odd INFP way I felt like I 'identified' with horizontal things and felt like vertical things were cold and distant (I know that makes no sense). I also felt like I understood things better when they were arranged in horizontal rows - for example when doing math problems I would organize the problems across the lines on the paper like this:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
and had a strange kind of mental block against organizing them like this:
1 5
2 6
3 7
4 8
I'm just wondering if there is any corelation between this and personality types or cognitive functions.
(for example: could perhaps horizontal be associated with Ne/Se 'breadth' and vertical with Ni/Si 'depth'?)
And even if there isn't a correlation, I'm interested to see if people generally prefer Horizontal or Vertical things.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Vertical for me. I'm tall so the higher up things are, the better. It's also a good slimming effect on clothing. :tongue:

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vertical - I LOVE to create diagrams and flow charts starting from the top and flowing down. It really helps me understand the information and see how everything is connected. My grades went up when I started doing this. :)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Horizontal. Feel ill just thinking of vertical things.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
643 Posts
I always learned in art class that horizontal lines give a sense of stability and calm- I think of the horizon line or something to that effect

On the other hand, I was taught that vertical lines give a sense of movement and height- much more dynamic and potentially... unsettling? I think of things flying up or falling down, skyscrapers giving a sense of grandeur, that kind of thing

Personally, I prefer vertical lines. I don't really know why.... (I haven't thought about this before now) Although I do arrange things in rows as well. Lists are vertical and groupings of things are usually horizontal. *shrug*

Oh and I'll pitch in with your theory- Ni is my dominant function, so.... there you go :3

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I typed alot of text with examples and when i further thought about it and read my own text i deleted all of it again because it seemed to be full of crap. My first reaction was horizontal but the more i think about it the more unclear it becomes, i guess it just depends on the situation and available resources+limitations with me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's almost the same for me, though because of habit horizontal may seem more natural.
I used to sometimes read books upside down (when there was more of us in the group, but one book).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts