Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found this site as I was searching through links and am happy to have found a website with so many similarly-liked minds. This is a bit of a ramble and outflow of thoughts from my mind and is very long and may or may not completely make sense as I am MUCH MUCH too lazy to proofread this crap.

So I was in lecture for one of my Business Administration classes the other day and we were talking about Myers-Briggs personality classifications and, being an unknowingy INTP, had my interest piqued and began to spend the entire next hour and a half next class on my iPhone taking tests to find out what classification I fell under. I discovered that I was an INTP and proceeded to read at least 8 other articles about INTPs, how they acted, who they were, what they enjoyed, essentially any information that I could get my hands on.

This brings me to my actual question that I wanted to pose in this thread, how common is it for a family to be nearly all INTPs? A few minutes ago, before I tried to sleep, so obviously I couldn't sleep and had to had all of my intellectual quests fulfilled. Earlier before that, I had a serious conversation with my INFP roommate after we discovered he was an INFP. He had come into my room a few times and seen me sitting there silently on my computer reading something online and asked me what I was up to so I told him. He is a clear INFP but I did not really understand how to classify people yet and originally thought he to be an ENFP because he is always so open about his beliefs and expressive that I believed he had to be an extrovert. He took the test and discovered he was an INFP and we had a discussion about why he was an introvert and why I had previously misbelieved him to be an ENFP. When I think about it now, I feel like an idiot for not knowing that before because often times it is my four roommates and I who just chill at home and smoke a lot of weed. We are all introverts and like our privacy but we are all accepting and good friends with each other so our rooms are always open if we are home and invite each other in to do anything.

Sorry if I sound like I am rambling, my mind is wandering and I am also still fairly high and both physically and mentally drained from lack of sleep. Still have to scrutinize this thread, however, to make sure that there are no spelling or grammatical errors because I am fucking crazy and anal about being correct and perfect with everything.

Anyways, I realized that what made my INFP roommate able to be both outgoing and friendly, which I believed were signs of extroversion, was simply his expression of the S instead of N that was different from me. This began to make sense to me as I came to remember how close of friends we were even though I have only lived/known him for a little over a year and 3? months now. I believe him to be a good person, as are all of my other roommates, and he has gained my trust and friendship in a very short time, most likely due to our very similar personality types I presume.

Now my question is do you believe introversion is genetic, a result from environmental influences, or a cross between the two? I am currently a student at UC Riverside, god I was such a lazy ass in high school, and I have to realize most Asian people I meet are introverted. I am Taiwanese-American, my parents immigrated here with my older brother and I was born here in California, and I hang out with mostly Asian people. I do not do this because I am racist, when I was growing up my elementary school had three Chinese people including me out of around 70+ children, but because I simply think that most white people are in a word "crazy". I can hang out with white people easily but when I was growing up none of my best friends were ever white, even though my school was like 80% white. I had other Taiwanese, a half-black and mexican, and a Filipino as my best friends through elementary school. I believe that because of my introversion I simply do not have the energy to cope and deal with all of the action that an extrovert would want to achieve, and to me at least, it seems most white people are extroverts while it seems a larger population of Asians are introverts.

Is this because of our different cultures or our genetics? While I was laying awake in bed, around 30? minutes ago now, I began to think about what personality types those in my family were. Just to have a short disclaimer here, I realize now that I am a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE person and SUCK a lot, but I had never paid attention enough to my family to see that they were exactly like me. My brother and dad are both obvious INTPS, while my mom is an INFP. I recognized my mom as an INTP because I realized that she is very similar to my roommate just with different values and passions.

Is this common for so many INTPS to surface in a single family? I read the findings and descriptions of INTP parenting and that was spot on as to how my father raised me, so that is the parental style in case you guys were interested. Well, I then began analyzing in my brain all the character traits that I knew about my father and my brother. And, this is the part where I feel like an asshole, I came to realize that the three of us are basically exactly the same in that we are all INTPs. We all prefer to socialize with our own group of friends and when we come together for family meals, they are often very silent and contain very little small talk with interesting conversation only arising when discussing topics like sports, electronics, or something along those lines. When my mom goes out of town, when all three of us are home, we will all spend the majority of our days out of the house and away from with each other with our own personal clique of friends. And then, in another indiciation of our INTP characteristics, we will all drag our tired asses back home at around 2 am at the earliest usually. There have been times when I have been come home at 2:30 am thinking that I need to be silent or I'll wake my dad and arrive back home to an empty house as my dad will come back around 15 minutes later, followed by my brother maybe 30 minutes after that. We have never been very close with our feelings towards each other but we all care, trust, and love each other in the way that only INTPs can.

I was also thinking that I am going to talk to my brother about this in order to create a better relationship between us. People are always amazed when I tell them that I have a brother and then remark how we are not close at all. In all honesty, we look almost exactly the same except his body shape is lankier and skinnier and he is around 5 inches taller than I. One would figure that we would be very close because we also have basically the same interests too, but we are not very close. I had always believed that the logic behind this was due to our 6-year age gap, and the fact he would sometimes beat me up and intimidated me when I was younger, But now I see that the reason behind this is because my brother, my father, and I are all INTPs and respect each others' privacy to the point that we know actually probably know very little about each other. We also, in my opinion, have a deep trust in each's morals and judgment. My brother, as he has likely encountered my current INTP maturation phase as well, has worked much harder than I on being a good brother and we have made large strides in our relationship. However, I want to know the true meaning behind the moniker "brother". I want to have that special bond that one can only have with someone who is so much of your blood. One of my good friends is currently dating this girl 3 years our junior and we also know her sister, who is a year older than her. When I first started hanging around the two of them together I remarked how close they were to each other and always sharing every detail about everything with each other. And in that moment I felt some jealousy towards them and that feeling. I wished I could have that same relationship with my brother.

Yes, this is basically a long, and very well grammatically structured, essay resulting from my mind's wandering, which is heightened even more under the influence of marijuana.

Well, what do you guys think? Did any of you have encounters with INTP relatives or parents? And do you think that race or customs have an effect on the development of INTPs?

Whew. Now that I got that off my mind I think I can finally go asleep now after typing for nearly 40 minutes.

Also. This is completely irrelevant but what occupation do you guys think I would be best suited for after (hopefully) having read this long mental unwinding. I have always been fascinated by history and also always been a good writer, adept at the art of bullshitting essays like nothing and getting A's. Do you think I could make a good writer or maybe something else? I was also thinking that I could maybe try to learn about stocks and do that. I am about to graduate college after this quarter and I still have no idea what my degree means and have come to the realization that despite having a 2.99 GPA for Business Administration I have learned absolutely nothing about my major in my time here in college. I am currently in that somewhat crisis phase where I am hopelessly seeking direction in my life.

If anyone can be bothered to read this entire long-ass message, I would really appreciate your insight.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That was a long ass mesage, lol.

I would say it is pretty uncommon for a family of introverts, let alone all INTP's (of any type for that matter).

I would say it has to do with your culture and stuff as opposed to genetics. But then again it's basically that whole nature vs. nurture debate that you are asking so it's probably a mixture of both imo. It's up to you to decide.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I have an INTP brother, although the other 3 members of my family are different types, but all but one of us are introverted. I think it could well be genetic.

I have observed INTPs do tend to be born in "groups" as a direct consequence of the intermarriage of people with a strong "systematizing" bent. Certain genes, I find, may encourage the development of certain types. So if two INTP's marry, the strong systematizing genes will probably produce someone with a strong prediction for systematizing, which only encompasses a few types. In extreme cases, it is not just multiple INTP's who will be born but families whose children are all autistic.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know what is a suitable career for you, but definitely not Business Administration.
BA requires you to use your E and J more effectively.

Maybe a writer is suitable.

I don't have anyone in my family that is similar to an INTP. My dad could be an ISTJ, and my mom could be an INFP. My brother could be an ESFJ, well I don't know if he's I or E.

I don't agree that most asians are introverts. If you compare them to caucasians, they appear introverted only because what you are seeing is caucasians are strong extroverts by culture.

·
Registered
785 Posts
You have a great misconception about the racial differences. For an INTP I think thats a bit unusual...

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
...This brings me to my actual question that I wanted to pose in this thread, how common is it for a family to be nearly all INTPs?
It is very rare. Could it be that you have mis-typed members of your family? If you typed them by ways of giving them the MBTI test approximately 30% of people taking these tests supposedly mis-type themselves. It is not very accurate method of typing. Several personality types are prone to mis-type themselves as INTP - INTJs, INFJs, INFPs, ENTPs, and ISTPs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It is very rare. Could it be that you have mis-typed members of your family? If you typed them by ways of giving them the MBTI test approximately 30% of people taking these tests supposedly mis-type themselves. It is not very accurate method of typing. Several personality types are prone to mis-type themselves as INTP - INTJs, INFJs, INFPs, ENTPs, and ISTPs.
Yep, I know 2 friends that are mistyped as ENTPs. Both girls.

One is for sure a feeling person, with great possibility of J, even S, while the other is 100% Sensor...

They are miles away from being anywere close to the ENTP originator awesomness...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I am pretty sure that my brother, my father, and I are all INTPs. The 3 of us are basically the same in that we only have our own close group of friends, are often times lazy, spend our leisure time in fairly quiet surroundings, and have difficulties expressing our emotions and feelings with each other. I wonder how my mom isn't crazy after living in a household of only INTPs.

My brother is 6 years older than I and is currently wandering the globe trying to find his path. He has a degree in mechanical engineering and had a job for a few years but quit because he felt it wasn't challenging enough for him.

I am still in college but I really have no interest in my major and really wish I was earlier in my college life so that I could change into something I do actually enjoy.

My dad is also definitely an INTP; he simply has his priorities more in check as he has a family to raise and support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Three of four people in my family are INTP and we're eerily similar to each other. It freaks me out every day.
I have the exact same situation. And it kind of freaks me out too. Me and my brother are so similar that we didn't talk to each other at all for maybe 6+ years because we always just left each other alone in our own rooms.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Since my mother is an ISXJ, my father an ESTJ, and the rest of my family varying degrees of XSXJ, I can't really relate to being in a family of iNtuitives or Perceivers.

What I believe the OP is saying is that Asian culture traditionally enforces strong family units and discreetness in most areas of life, so it's like a case of dropping a Feeler on Vulcan. John Locke's tabula rasa theory, and nurture versus nature, etcetera.

@rshih: Oh, and I daresay there are quite a few run-on sentences in your post.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Interesting. Don't know about your idea on introversion by race. It's most likely a cultural thing rather than genetic.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I do not do this because I am racist
You sure about that? Because you go on to make generalizations about whites

like this:
I simply think that most white people are in a word "crazy".
and this:
to me at least, it seems most white people are extroverts while it seems a larger population of Asians are introverts.
something to think about perhaps:wink:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Something to think about: a lot of people mistype themselves if you prime them for it. You're more likely to get an accurate result if you don't talk about the test before giving it.

I'll think about the rest of your questions and maybe post again with some thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I come from a family of introverts. I belive my brother is a IxTP, my mum is probably IxTx and my dad is similar to my mom. Our family dinners are also very quite unless we are talking about something we are all into.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Well, my dad's an XNTP, my mom's an INFJ, my sister's an XNTJ, and my other sister's an ENFP, and then there's me, the INTP... (I'm the oldest, then XNTJ, then ENFP....)
I'm not sure about genetic INTP-ness or genetic introversion, but maybe the N is...? My grandfather's an INFP, and my grandmother's an EXFJ. But then again, my uncle and a cousin are ISFJ, and my other cousin is ESTJ.
And then again (again...?) I have an ENTP uncle as well (this is all from one side of the family, all related by blood).

Then from the other side of the family, I have 2 ENTJ cousins, and an INTJ uncle (related by blood).
I have about 30 relatives (blood related, including my immediate family), and out of those, I think about 11 (unless I just counted incorrectly, including the borderline ones) are N types. And this is just the ones that I know about (I haven't tested my 4 and 5 year old cousins, but one of which I think is INFJ). And I believe that about 20-30% of people (if the internet is to be believed) are N types?
So therefore, maybe N is genetic (or upbringing, even), but not necessarily I/E.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well, I have a couple observations/thoughts.

First of all... I lived in CA (OC/LA) for a couple years and I did observe the white/Asian disconnect. In fact, it was pointed out to me by one of my interns when I started asking her about school (she went to UCI). What I found was even stranger that there was a disconnect between American-born Asians and foreign-born Asians. She had been born in Taiwan and she said she rarely made friends with Americans... apparently I was one of the first white Americans to genuinely make the effort to get to know her, which I found really odd.

I think introversion/extroversion IS genetic, and the stats I've seen tend to skew 75% extroverted to 25% introverted (in the general population). And I agree with @mnemonicfx that it's not a valid comparison with white/nonwhite culture because introversion and extroversion expresses itself differently. You may be a calm, shy, quiet person and still get energized by being around others. Or you can be outgoing, outspoken, friendly, etc. and be introverted. Most people don't think I'm introverted until I'm closing the door in their face and saying, "No, really, I need my space!"

That said, I think it is unusual that a whole family would be made up of one type, and it's probably more likely you're mistyping some people. I know I've been pretty surprised to find out certain people are Fs when I've typed them as Ts... or N/S... There are 7 people in my family and my little brother is an INTP too. I don't know everyone's type, but the two I don't know are definitely extroverts. I think it's very possible that you exhibit similar traits simply from growing up in a similar environment, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're the same type.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, since I can't be bothered reading through the responses, this may have already been pointed out.

Since N/S is about how you perceive information and the world, it's also the way you communicate information. Therefore, two N's should get on fairly well (ie. your parents) and as such it makes sense to me that they would then have N-type children. If they are both Introverts, I can't imagine either you or your brother being particularly extroverted, probably not being exposed to people much as younger children (apart from school). I also believe that your observations about Asian cultures are correct, that more people are Introverted as opposed to Extroverted, which is opposite to white western cultures, where more people are Extroverted than Introverted. Being male, and again being from an Asian culture, it makes sense to me that all three males in the family are dominant T, and your mother being female, an F would be common. (I believe in general American populations 75% of males are T, compared with 75% females being F. I would imagine there would be a stronger T influence in Asian culture, since it's built into your language (won't go into that, but it is). So all that leaves is P/J preferences, which if you get into Jungian's cognitive functions theory, really just differentiates the order that your functions operate in. Again, I would think being raised by two P-types, you are more likely to display P-type behaviors (with the spontaneity, and less planning and organizing etc.). So really, although INTP's and INFP's alike are few and far between, if you did have INTP and INFP as parents, I'd say given they had two sons, the chances of those two sons being INTPs would be fairly good.

As for the genetics / environment discussion, there is strong evidence to suggest that genetics makes you more predisposed to behave or think in certain ways, but doesn't dictate that you must. The fact that you were raised in an environment that matched your genetics (ie. you were raised by your own biological parents) makes the likelihood of your predisposition becoming a reality fairly high.

PS. Who keeps resurrecting all these dead forums lately?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Three of four people in my family are INTP and we're eerily similar to each other. It freaks me out every day.
SCREW YOU GUYS! my dad's a bit emotionally unavailable but that's where the similarities end. Sister's an ENFJ, other one prob. an ENFJ aswell, Mom's prob. an ISFJ and dad an ENTP (but he never talks to me so that's little comfort).

Have to mainly deal with my feeling women side of the family and I'm then automatically the coldass weirdo from another planet. Trying to explain your personality to mom and she goes "yea, you just think too much honey, and not that i don't like talking to you but could we stop now, i'm getting tired"... :bored:

So good for you, people with NT families, hope you appreciate it!

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I don't think your entire family is INTPs, I think Asian culture actually values and encourages a lot of INTP traits, where a lot of other cultures (including whitebread American culture) don't. Sitting still, being quiet, and attending to your thoughts is just considered odd by American extroverts.

At least, this is my theory based on observation of friends. Most of my female friends have been either Asian or Eastern European, which seems to correlate with an easy understanding of INTPs... The friends of mine who grew up in the Eastern bloc were doing calculus and speaking at least 3 languages by 4th or 5th grade. To them, being an obnoxious airhead is luxury they don't want to afford.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts