Personality Cafe banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know someone who was typed as ESTP, but he is quite shy and sometimes even stutters slightly when he speaks. Is it possible he was mistyped?
Rare animals also exists. I do believe that very shy ESTP could exist, but, honestly, I never met one.

Sometimes hapens that ESTPs arent much talkative, because are around introvert(s), dont feel comfortable in their skin (not much of pretenders)
or
have interest in you and dont know how to say. But this version comes more with the guys (atypical, by the way), girls dont tend to loose it that much in case pheromones are in the air. Is it possible that only person he is shy with is you?

I play it down with many introverts myself, because Im strong E and I dont want to disturb. My impression with many introverts is that they need long time to adapt to new people, so I give them this time. Costs a bit of effort.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I agree with @njchick. I like being the life of the party, but I also like my submarine moments. I would say I'm always in a submarine moment when I'm observing everything that's going around me, that's how I get comfortable with my surroundings. Shy... no. I do have problems getting words out of my mouth and knowing what should do or say. I guess I'm always in observation mode.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can only see an ESTP being shy in either an unhealthy state or maybe if the situation they are in relates to a time they experienced great shame and embarrassment; otherwise, it's not very likely at all!

For instance, I am shy around my boyfriends parents, or maybe it isn't shy (perhaps just very tenseso I become awkward) because we cannot communicate because there is a language barrier and I reside in their home 24/7 to be closer to work. Sometimes the mother yells at my boyfriend because we were up late talking and it kept her up, so I start to observe more and more that I'm causing trouble but they never come to me and suspect they are thinking negative things about me etc, so approaching them after this or being in their gaze, I am very awkward because of this. but then I'll can also come up to them and say things to them in their language even though it sounds ridiculous coming from my mouth, without any embarrassment or shyness....don't know.

Unlikely for an ESTP to be shy generally speaking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have trouble around people that are from a different age range that i'm not use to hanging out with. If I don't know how they're going to react to my actions I seem a little quiet around them at first but once I know their cool I go to being myself and the jokes start flowing.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I know someone who was typed as ESTP, but he is quite shy and sometimes even stutters slightly when he speaks. Is it possible he was mistyped?
The MBTI system creates a dichotomous choice of either/or. But in reality, the Pesonality Type system created by Dr. Jung views our use of function-attitudes along a sliding scale. One person using Se is not going to be outgoing as the next. Those who are on the side of shyness may appear far more shy than someone even claiming to be an introverted type.

On the other hand Dr. Jung's system also considers circumstances and influence of our environment. A naturally extraverted type may have been conditioned to tone it down. Remember all funciton-attitudes become habitual over time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
some ESTPs can be very quiet. I'm on the more quiet side. Occasional stuttering could be more of a mild speech impediment and less to do with his personality.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The OP statement "very" shy makes me believe that he has been mistyped as ESTP. But it becomes very objective since we don't much more information about his daily life, relation, and the way he communicates.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It is possible that ESTPs can be quiet. For example, I may not be talkative sometimes because I don't have much to add to the conversation (or I'm incredibly tired and I just want to pass out in my room as soon as possible).

As for being shy... not really sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ESTPs are known for being narcissists.

Why are people shy? Because they care about what others think about them. If anything, ESTPs would be the shy ones but once they're in their comfort zone, all hell breaks loose.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts