Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being born in the mid 90's I feel like people my age (late teens/early 20 somethings) are the last people to grow up with VHS(though barely).

I remember my family would watch primarily VHS tapes from 1990's to about 2003.

Around in 2002 when I was 6, we got our first DVD player, but my family didn't regularly start to buy DVDs till about late 2003/2004. Also Christmas of 2003 was the year I got my first personal DVD player, aka the Playstation 2.

When did you guys make the switch form VHS to DVD? And do you guys prefer VHS or DVD?

Personally I like both formats equally, possibly because I sort grew up with both formats when they were popular.
I grew up during the last gasp of VHS in the late 90's/early 00's during my early childhood years but I also grew up with DVD during the mid-late 00's/early 10's during my tweens and early teens.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Heh, I remember watching the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS when I was little. I think the switch happened when Attack of the Clones came out on DVD, as my parents bought that around 2002 or 2003.

It often is kind of mind blowing that kids have no idea what VHS is, as demonstrated here. I'm glad they don't have to deal with it though. I personally remember how annoying it was how quick VHS tapes would get worn out (although, it's partly my fault, being a kid whom didn't know how to properly take care of them). Or how sometimes, the darn tape would get jammed inside the VHS player.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
VHS until 2000. I had recorded my favourite TV shows a lot using VHS. It was fun. However, DVD is of better quality.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I never did. I used VHSs until about 2009-2010 and then went straight for Blu-Ray. DVDs sucked hard.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, I remember watching the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS when I was little. I think the switch happened when Attack of the Clones came out on DVD, as my parents bought that around 2002 or 2003.

It often is kind of mind blowing that kids have no idea what VHS is, as demonstrated here. I'm glad they don't have to deal with it though. I personally remember how annoying it was how quick VHS tapes would get worn out (although, it's partly my fault, being a kid whom didn't know how to properly take care of them). Or how sometimes, the darn tape would get jammed inside the VHS player.

Yeah it is a little weird but that's probably how our parents feel when we don't remember Vinyl Records or the much more outdated video technology being Laserdiscs so it's understandable if they don't remember. And yeah I agree, rewinding VHS tapes was a pain back then, I remember when we first got DVD and I was amazed that we didn't have to rewind anymore, just going to scene selection was pretty cool as a kid

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Our family didn't get a DVD until about late 2001, but we still mixed up DVD's and VHS's together until about 2004 or so, then we started using DVD's only. So going by my memories, we only used VHS throughout 1999, 2000, and most of 2001.

·
Registered
ENFP 6w7 694 I guess
1,540 Posts
My family started watching DVD's around 2001 I think. My dad and I still have a bunch of VHS tapes in our living room though. Once in a blue moon I watch a VHS tape.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Ahhh...maybe around 97? But I continued to watch some VHS well into the 00's. DVDs were just better in every way, with the exception of the fact at first it was difficult to get anything really old or obscure on DVD. My ex also collected films which were basically illegal, so they had to be on VHS sometimes. He also made me a VHS mix video tape of music videos from the early 80s through the early 90s when I left him. He was always trying to push my nostalgia buttons. Like a marketing executive, he knew the power of positive association. I don't think I've watched VHS since we broke up, except maybe something at my moms house.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
2003 I think. I would have been 9. I definitely remember borrowing videos from the local library as a child, though. :D

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I don't remember when my family made the switch. I'm just here to reminisce about a friend who had VHS recordings of at least 15 years of Wrestlemanias...

·
Registered
720 Posts
For me , late 2001/ late2002-2004?????. It was a VHS/DVD combo and I believe it costed us 600-1000 dollars at that point . I gimmick wore off for me and and I never really made the full switch until 2008.

Also about the react a nickelodoen show did the same thing and I was like " IM NOT OLD YET " XD

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For me , late 2001/ late2002-2004?????. It was a VHS/DVD combo and I believe it costed us 600-1000 dollars at that point . I gimmick wore off for me and and I never really made the full switch until 2008.

Also about the react a nickelodoen show did the same thing and I was like " IM NOT OLD YET " XD
Lol! Well atleast kids now don't have to go through rewinding tapes for like 20 minutes, when I was watching a VHS movie on my VCR combo a few months ago I totally forgot how tedious it was

·
Registered
720 Posts
Lol! Well atleast kids now don't have to go through rewinding tapes for like 20 minutes, when I was watching a VHS movie on my VCR combo a few months ago I totally forgot how tedious it was
DVD players are now 20 bucks OFCOURSE IT IS EASIER. I just like tapes because it felt more convenient, easier not to break , and to collect =p. I kinda got into blurays but meh I think they are still 40 bucks XD

·
Registered
10 Posts
From my memory dvd players initially got popular in 1998-9, but I wouldn't say VHS was a dead format until 2003-4 or so. Up until then most movies were still being released in dual format. I started using dvds around 2001.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts