Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a question I've been tempted to ask but avoided doing so out of fear of appearing like a crazed lunatic.

Does anyone else tend to get extremely frustrated if not really angry at video games in particular if you begin losing? I've been like this since I was young and even now it still occurs :( This incident makes me embarassed and has long created a rift of its own between my family and I. Often I yell or swear at the television screen and at its apex I hang my hands down on the bed in despair or even throw the controller ( I don't do this if someone else is in the room.) This usually concludes with my mother coming up to complain and as I'm still boiling over I have a go at her too. Although there are times now where I don't feel the rage or frustration when the screen reads "Game Over" when I used to all the time (and fear as well) I still feel it on many an occasion. What's worse I don't actually feel the anger in my heart anymore yet I still do it, its like its a sheer surface mechanism and that I could be perfectly content in the face of defeat if I wanted to.

I'm not usually angry and certainly not violent (I tend to get annoyed around my family who for some reason I seriously can't stand being around) so this total descent into frustration is quite unnerving for me. I don't know if its introversion reacting negatively to the stress of seeing my characters being ripped to shreds in front of my eyes with no way to stop it, that perhaps I care about my characters on some level, its possible I merely am too emotionally involved in the game or I am sheerly a bad loser (most likely the latter!)

Can anybody offer any advice? Or do I need a lot of emotional therapy or something?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
haha I used to get a bit like that, embarassingly ><

Especially when you die to a bloody nade launcher for the 15th time in a row in bad company 2 or something.

Or team killers in CS.

marghaghg!

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,378 Posts
Yes I do get frustrated but usually only if I was trying very hard to win, for example trying different tactics and they fail. I take a break from it until I feel better and everything is fine. That usually happens to me when I play games alone, not with someone else. But don't worry you don't need therapy, maybe you can try controlling it by deep breaths and concentration, it is an awful feeling I know.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
"HOW DARE YOU DETER MY PERFECTIONISTIC PLAYING STYLE!! I WILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP ANONYMOUS GAME PLAYER!!!"

yeah pretty much that. I think playing games online and repeatedly losing is one of the only ways left to thoroughly put me in the worst of moods. which is odd cuz im not competitive at all.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I use to rage a lot when I was little when playing games.

Nowadays it depends, If it's my own fault that whatever is happening I will get annoyed but won't rage, I just keep trying.

If it's because of another person I usually figure out a way to turn it around and make them rage instead. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Video games are really the only thing in this world that make me truly angry (thank god). I had teribad video game rage when I was a kid. I've broke controllers, broken other things, bitten through controller cords, broke keys off my keyboard, taken games out and smashed them, etc. You should have seen my controllers when I was a kid. Teeth marks all over them.:crazy: Luckily I've never broken any consoles.

I still get video game rage today, but it is way less intense. I'll just cuss really loud and/or smack an inanimate object.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The problem really lies in technically hard games. Conceptually hard ones are fun, but when you can't execute what you want to do when you know exactly what you need to do, that's where the game pushes me to the point of yelling and screaming. The worst part though: it's not even satisfying at the end. After 500 attempts of failure and 1 success, I feel like the success just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Depends if I'm in a bad mood or not. If I'm in a good mood I just laugh at everything. If I'm in a bad mood something stupid can piss me off.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The problem really lies in technically hard games. Conceptually hard ones are fun, but when you can't execute what you want to do when you know exactly what you need to do, that's where the game pushes me to the point of yelling and screaming. The worst part though: it's not even satisfying at the end. After 500 attempts of failure and 1 success, I feel like the success just doesn't add up.
this too. I hate when I know what to do, but I just can't.

It makes me feel like my body is holding me back (like it does with everything in my life)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Usually when someone starts to rub it in and I keep losing I get pretty frustrated. That's only with people I know IRL. Playing on live for some reason doesn't bother me at all when I lose. Playing by myself, if I try really hard on a game and just can't seem to beat it that also makes me mad. I don't scream though. In company I might tune everyone out or just leave, by myself I'll just turn the game off and tuck it away so I don't have to look at it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well tekken is about the only game I play online. It drives me bonkers to lose to someone that I is not as good me. Not so much when I lose to a highly skilled player, but a person who button mashes just pisses me right off. I don't yell or scream but I get noticeably upset to the point where I literally count to 10 to calm myself down. Only in tekken tho, because I feel like I'm pretty awesome. I also hate when people gloat after they win by sending me PM's like I owned your ass. Like really bro?....Now I wanna play.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
My parents would have taken the game away if I threw a fit, so whenever I got frustrated with a game, I would bite myself really, really hard. Slightly embarrassing to admit that... Anyway, I was just a kid then. I'd like to think I've matured somewhat since then. Now I just yell. :tongue:

·
Registered
188 Posts
You don't need therapy, I feel like video games are therapy. I let out all the rage when I play that I have been keeping inside from everything else.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only time I ever get a little upset by videogames are if I am playing something online and someone is doing something unfair/generally being a meanie, or if a savegame with a lot of progress somehow ends up being deleted. I refuse to use bugs or exploits or gamebreaking tactics, or play on a team that is clearly doing a lot better than the other.
Games are something I'd rather enjoy than win at. I do find myself becoming kind of really competitive, but only when it's what I'd consider a fair match. But if things don't go my way, I continue playing for a little (just so I don't feel like so much of a sore loser and people don't accuse me of rage quitting) but leave if I'm no longer enjoying myself. I never get upset, and I deal with my frustration internally because it is just a game and the internet people I am playing with should mean nothing more to me than bots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts