Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in university I found video games to be mostly distracting. My INTP roommate was getting into grad school and was able to function dually as an A-student and a gamer. His ENFP girlfriend was also addicted to candycrush, also an A-student putting in at least 6 hours a day of mindless mobile games. They were cutely addicted and totally functioned as human beings.

I found my downfall was that once I started something I felt compelled to finish it, I can't start a paper or a project and expect to ever come back to it later--I need to finish what I start and do it in my own order. If I am doing a research paper, I leave it, then come back to it, I can guarantee you that I will restart the whole paper even if it means dumping ten pages of progress. The key is finishing it all in one go, otherwise I will come back with such a blank-slate mind, there is no way it will pick back up on the same thought. (You know sometimes people can get really far in Skyrim, and your like wow, because every time you--you-play-this-infuriating-game you find some imperfection and end up starting a new character? And after doing this ten times, you realize this game is LIES and can't be played perfectly.) Myabe it is because I intensly connect to what I am doing, not only did I lock-into robot-mode, I would hack it and occasionally remake content. Intensity becomes a downfall for me.

So I completely got rid of them in my second year, and mostly kept them away until I finished. Now that I am done I wonder if there is even a point in bringing video games back into my life. I was wondering how other INTJ's relate to gaming, either positively, or negatively? Also compared to other types?

·
Registered
183 Posts
We meet again, Lessemo.

Well I am not an INTJ, as you are aware, but I have similar issues. I can't multitask very well at all, and if I devote my time and energy to something, it's more often than not only one thing. I sometimes find myself envying perceivers for this ability to fit everything into their lives while still being able to relax and not feel like headless chickens.

I simply think we're hardwired for acute focus, which isn't terrible in and of itself, but can be a handicap in such situations where you want to do all the things. Like gaming, which is currently my hyper-focus. What's real life, again?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I use games as a distraction: a temporary escape from the world. Or an outlet for anger, when I shoot things.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I play games. They're fun. In the past they've consumed me, and then I cut those games off. Now I don't have that problem anymore, 'cus I do a lot more than just game.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We meet again, Lessemo.

Well I am not an INTJ, as you are aware, but I have similar issues. I can't multitask very well at all, and if I devote my time and energy to something, it's more often than not only one thing. I sometimes find myself envying perceivers for this ability to fit everything into their lives while still being able to relax and not feel like headless chickens.

I simply think we're hardwired for acute focus, which isn't terrible in and of itself, but can be a handicap in such situations where you want to do all the things. Like gaming, which is currently my hyper-focus. What's real life, again?
:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m absolutely the same way. I gave up playing them because it became a chore and I wasn’t having fun anymore. I didn’t want side quests, those little movies that play at random intervals, I just wanted to get it done, and to do it well. But it still killed me because I HADN’T done all of the side quests, which lowers your score in the end, so all in all it was just frustrating. And if I have an unfinished game lying around it just gnaws at me, it’s in the back of my mind like, “that needs to be finished”. I’ll even put it on my to-do lists. So yeah, I don’t play adventure games or anything anymore lol.

That said I do enjoy Call of Duty on occasion, but I only play online multiplayer and my goal is to be an infamous quick scoper haha. I also like strategy games, like Age of Empires and so on. I don’t really care if I win or not, it’s about building massively powerful cities with the highest levels of technology possible… I’ll like draw out a plan on a piece of paper of what I want the city to look like before I start the game, and I’ll spend all of my money on just building a magnificent wall than on military. So I lose a lot but my cities are amazing, and I may have only one cavalry unit, but it’s as leveled-up as the game allows: all golden armour and stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts