Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about what videogames or types of videogames you guys gravitate towards. I understand that type probably doesn't affect that(I dunno how anal some people might get about that), but I just think it would be fun to see similarities (and differences). Like to find some kind of nice faux-correlation?

Ok, so for me, I grew up being really big into RPGs. Anything with stats and leveling up, I wanted to conquer it. But now, I think I've really moved away from the traditional RPG genre. I still enjoy games with RPG elements as long as it doesn't have a repetitve, chore-like quality to it.

Really I don't like pegging myself to one type. I really enjoy a variety of games such as Legend of Zelda, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Drilldozer, Castlevania, Katamari Damacy, FFVI, Earthbound, Sonic, Golden Sun, Professor Layton, 999 and the list should probably stop here. Can't really get into shooters unless there's some interesting, engaging mechanic to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For me it's Strategy and RPG's, other genre's are fine too it's just that most of the games I enjoy come from these aforementioned genre's. For me games must have depth, for instance I cant stand Call of Duty, but I really like Arma which is a military sim.

The problem with RPG's is that the focus shifted from roleplay to gathering loot, gathering shinies over and over again is just mind numbing boring. I am also a huge fan of MMORPG's as a concept, but they suffer from being focused on an online singleplayer experience, I know that's an oxymoron, but I think it describes them perfectly. What I would want to see is virtual worlds instead of a scripted path, there players shape the world according to their actions. For instance instead of killing 10 rats, an actual player would send you on a "quest" to infiltrate and sabotage an enemy base, they have some nasty artillery there and it's your job to disable it, if you succeed this would have actual consequences, something that would never be possible with scripted MMORPG's. It's the ultimate roleplaying experience. Though, MMORPG's are heading in this direction now, most of them indie or kickstarter funded.

Games I am currently playing:

Arma III
Wargame: European Esclalation
Space station 13
System shock II

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Mostly multilayer player FPS's. I'm currently on a Battlefield 3 binge. I can't get enough of it. Black Ops 2 is fun to rape in but it's not as challenging as BF3. RPGs like Golden Sun or Kotor are sick, and open world games like Red Dead Redemption ( because what's better than lassoing an old west hooker and then dragging her by horse all the way into Mexico?) are also at the top of my list. I also tend to like games akin to Harvest Moon.

If there was a good sandbox MMO besides Eve I'd but them on the list too but all the MMOs out these days blow chunks.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The game I compulsively play is Tribes. Physics based movement, man (bastardized Physics as it may be). Really really cool.

Other than that, I tend to like single-player only FPS experiences, like Deus Ex HR, Dishonored, Bioshock, Mirror's Edge. I like the sense of immersion, but with a little less focus on shooting. If I want that, I'll play a multiplayer FPS like Quake.

Reactions: Chernobog

·
Banned
701 Posts
Solo : Immersive, atmosphere-driven first person shooters with simple-to-learn but hard-to-master mechanics, especially those which let you express your own playing style.

see : Half-Life, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Thief, System Shock 2, Quake, Dishonored, Doom, Portal, Amnesia...

Multiplayer : first person shooters again, but with an emphasis on direct anticipation, map knowledge, personal style and valuable mastery of basic mechanics. (the combination of moving and shooting)

see : Quake, Chivalry : Medieval Warfare (my most played game on steam), Killing Floor, Mount & Blade...

Why shooters ? Because they provide unseen immersion, which is what makes videogames different, and why I'm not into strategy games which require me to withdraw from the gaming experience to think of how to win.

I play very few RPGs : in most cases I'm addicted to them until I get bored with my character's stats.
That's the major issue with those games : they frustrate me because you have to chose which awesome powers you can use and which you can't, and when there are multiple ones I can never make a decision.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've been playing MMOs for centuries, also shooters and strategy games like Civilization or Age of Empires. But I don't like Call of Duty, it's too chaotic.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No MMO for me. Just spent the last 6 hours playing "Don't Starve", it was released on steam afew days ago. 2D wilderness survival with witty remarks laced with dark humor around every corner of gameplay, "fairly good soundtracks and cutesy wutsy graphics makes it super enjoyable for me. Oh, my all time fave would be the Shin Megami Tensei Persona Series, specifically 3 and 4. Also does Final fantasy 7 even have to be mentioned? :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
No MMO for me. Just spent the last 6 hours playing "Don't Starve", it was released on steam afew days ago. 2D wilderness survival with witty remarks laced with dark humor around every corner of gameplay, "fairly good soundtracks and cutesy wutsy graphics makes it super enjoyable for me. Oh, my all time fave would be the Shin Megami Tensei Persona Series, specifically 3 and 4. Also does Final fantasy 7 even have to be mentioned? :D
I love Don't Starve! I've played it a bit, although I'm going to wait for it to update some more, so I don't get sick of it when it has more content. Playing the beta felt a little bit empty, so I'm hoping the release will give it some more depth.

As for the other games I play: The Sims can be mildly entertaining, although I liked it more when I was younger. I have all expansions for the original Sims, and I think about four expansions for The Sims 3, but the latter keeps glitching out so I've given up on playing it...

I like Skyrim, and have finally got it to start working for me again- after updating and installing the two DLCs (one about having your own home, the other Dawnguard), I had distracting graphical problems that stopped me playing it for months.

I've started playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but unfortunately now, after watching ridiculous amounts of LPs of it on Youtube, it's not as scary for me. I'll still probably freak out at the prison level, though xD

Multiplayer, I like playing Team Fortress 2 a lot, mostly because it does involve more strategy to be actually good at it. You have to think ahead, keep track of the other players and what they're doing, think of possible attack and counterattack strategies made by the other team, etc. It's not just about knifing people, although that does come into play xD

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
I like the "niche" sorts of games that aren't widely known but have their strong core of fans. My favorite all-time series is "Tales of", an RPG series with fast-paced real-time battling and anime-style characters. I love it so much I even import the Japanese games that haven't been released in English just so I can play as many as I possibly can. They take up a vast majority of my gaming time so I have little time to play other video games, but when I do, I like Journey ((a very artsy indie game)) and Tokyo Jungle ((definitely niche, where you play as animals in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo where all the humans have disappeared)). I don't spend a ton of time on video games these days, though.

Right now, I'm playing Pokemon White since I loved pokemon as a kid and had a random bout of wanting a quick nostalgia kick after not having played any of the games in ages.

I'm not sure why, but games that are "mature" don't appeal to me much, so I've never played stuff like Skyrim or Assassin's Creed. They just don't look interesting to me. It's kind of funny since I like dark/violent/mature movies, anime and novels, as well as enjoying writing that sort of stuff, and yet... I just don't care much for it in video games lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Simulations for me. Anno 2070, Tropico, the sims, zoo tycoon, anything made by Maxis.

I like making systems and improving them. And then destroying them....all my game files seem to come to a dystopia end.

Reactions: Kitagawa Megumi

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love the City Building Series, especially Zeus: Master of Olympus. Then they switched to 3D which I found less appealing, but now a new isometric game set in the Middle Ages in in the works; I'm excited.
I also played Commandos II a lot.
More recently a few geostrategic games from Paradox Interactive: Europa Universalis III, Victoria II and Crusader Kings II. It's beautiful how divergent worlds can get, partly shaped by the player, partly by copious amounts of random numbers. It would be cool if most of the randomness were replaced with secret formulas based on unknown variables - just like real life.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hmm I played few MMOs but since the free ones are usually cash shop ruined I stopped....
I played League of Legends, but the people in there are so pure geniuses and they always are on my team, I just cannot stand winning every game, because my team is just owning on all the lanes and the teamwork is just ...... OP.....

Yes Sheldon, it was sarcasm

I play Minecraft on occasions, the more mods the better, I love to mess up with new things, discovering stuff and making huge base.
I also like soccer simulators, like Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (old but it is the best one :D)
I also like strategies, sandbox games of all kinds.

Havent played a shooter for quite some time and dont feel like playing it again
Back then when it was new I loved pokemon games on emulator now I kind of remember the story and it is not much attractive....

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Since I quit WoW 3 years ago, I haven't played much of anything but I'll go chronologically

Atari: Moon Patrol, Pitfall I and II. Pitfall II at least had the framework of an adventure game. Moon Patrol was a side scroller with a definitive ending. Never had much interest in games like Pac Man.

Nintendo: I had a broader mix of interests. Played sports, actions, and platforms games, but definitely preferred Adventure/RPG/Puzzle games. All 3 Mario games (though I preferred 2 because it was a bit darker), both Zeldas, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Metroid, Kid Icarus, the Castlevania Series. Then my absolute favorites: Blaster Master, Bionic Commando, FFI (still play it from time to time), Dragon Warrior I, III AND IV (didn't like II). Of special note were the point and click mystery games like Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and the Uninvited.

SNES: Actraiser because of the simulation element, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out, F-Zero, Zelda. Then my favorites, Ogre Battle, FF2 and 3, King Arthur's World (medieval Lemmings type game), and Earthbound which set RPGs in modern time which I loved the idea of.

Other console games: Turok series, MDK series, Gauntlet, Mario, Metroid and Zelda (excluding Marjoro's Mask and Twilight Princess), Smash Bros, WWF titles, the Myst series, FF up through X then it got all meh, Baldur's Gate: DarK Alliance, Diablo, Twisted Metal

PC: Started with Lode Runner on the Apple, continued with D & D games like Pool of Radiance on the Commodore, kept going with Baldur's Gate I & II, and then my favorite of all time Planescape: Torment which they are FINALLY making a sequel to 15 years later.

WoW blew them all away: Especially GMing for a really good guild for a few years.
I can't see another game becoming all consuming again, but I guess I don't know that for sure.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Since I quit WoW 3 years ago, I haven't played much of anything but I'll go chronologically

Atari: Moon Patrol, Pitfall I and II. Pitfall II at least had the framework of an adventure game. Moon Patrol was a side scroller with a definitive ending. Never had much interest in games like Pac Man.

Nintendo: I had a broader mix of interests. Played sports, actions, and platforms games, but definitely preferred Adventure/RPG/Puzzle games. All 3 Mario games (though I preferred 2 because it was a bit darker), both Zeldas, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Metroid, Kid Icarus, the Castlevania Series. Then my absolute favorites: Blaster Master, Bionic Commando, FFI (still play it from time to time), Dragon Warrior I, III AND IV (didn't like II). Of special note were the point and click mystery games like Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and the Uninvited.

SNES: Actraiser because of the simulation element, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out, F-Zero, Zelda. Then my favorites, Ogre Battle, FF2 and 3, King Arthur's World (medieval Lemmings type game), and Earthbound which set RPGs in modern time which I loved the idea of.

Other console games: Turok series, MDK series, Gauntlet, Mario, Metroid and Zelda (excluding Marjoro's Mask and Twilight Princess), Smash Bros, WWF titles, the Myst series, FF up through X then it got all meh, Baldur's Gate: DarK Alliance, Diablo, Twisted Metal

PC: Started with Lode Runner on the Apple, continued with D & D games like Pool of Radiance on the Commodore, kept going with Baldur's Gate I & II, and then my favorite of all time Planescape: Torment which they are FINALLY making a sequel to 15 years later.

WoW blew them all away: Especially GMing for a really good guild for a few years.
I can't see another game becoming all consuming again, but I guess I don't know that for sure.
Why is it that l don't see Mario Kart listed under SNES games?

l will eff you in the A some Mario Kart, brah.

Reactions: Nordom

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I used to play Zelda series, Final Fantasy (original), games like Adventures of Lolo... Battletoads, SimCity, Populous, Mario Kart, Secret of Mana, etc. then MK/Street Fighter series. I haven't really played games since SNES unless it was just random like Soul Calibur series or something where I can quickly learn some moves and compete, then put it down. I bought a modded Xbox but it was just so I could stream files and run emulators and then I was done with them. I just have no time for gaming really.

I would call myself an *extremely* advanced player of SNES Mario Kart... I would handicap myself in battle mode and try to win using only banana peels or green shells.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I like the "niche" sorts of games that aren't widely known but have their strong core of fans. My favorite all-time series is "Tales of", an RPG series with fast-paced real-time battling and anime-style characters. I love it so much I even import the Japanese games that haven't been released in English just so I can play as many as I possibly can. They take up a vast majority of my gaming time so I have little time to play other video games, but when I do, I like Journey ((a very artsy indie game)) and Tokyo Jungle ((definitely niche, where you play as animals in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo where all the humans have disappeared)). I don't spend a ton of time on video games these days, though.

Right now, I'm playing Pokemon White since I loved pokemon as a kid and had a random bout of wanting a quick nostalgia kick after not having played any of the games in ages.

I'm not sure why, but games that are "mature" don't appeal to me much, so I've never played stuff like Skyrim or Assassin's Creed. They just don't look interesting to me. It's kind of funny since I like dark/violent/mature movies, anime and novels, as well as enjoying writing that sort of stuff, and yet... I just don't care much for it in video games lol.
Another Chandelure fan. Good choice.

I totally forgot about the Tales series. ToS1 and 2 were amazing. Which brings me to my first favorite type of game: RPGs. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time. I haven't exactly played a lot... I've played most of the SNES FFs, but never finished them. Super Mario RPG was pretty awesome. Would Pokemon be considered an RPG? Those were cool too - Black is actually my favorite of them all. I can't remember any others at the moment.

I'm not into first person shooters that much, but I do occasionally play Counter-Strike: Source.

Random online puzzle games are fun.

I enjoy basically anything that requires any kind of strategy and tactics. Age of Empires, Medieval 2, Frozen Synapse, RPGs... The more in-depth the strategy, the more fun it is. Which is why I love Medieval 2.

EDIT: I'm also into a lot of adventure games, I guess. Super Mario 64 being the pinnacle of them. I'm also a god at Super Mario World.

Reactions: Hurricane Matthew
1 - 20 of 31 Posts