Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to Japan before? I'm considering to go there in the next few years. I've always had an interest in travelling there. I'm into the technology, culture and music

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol in the game you're meant to secretly take the photos. If they discover you, you get arrested. Lol The player character is a high school journalist

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
It's a great place to visit! Where abouts in Japan will you be going?

My experiences...

Kansai region is an amazing place and worth checking out - notably the deer park in Nara, and the bamboo forest in Kyoto. I went in Summer, but I hear that it's especially nice to see in Autumn.
If you're a nature enthusiast, I recommend Hokkaido as well. The wilderness there is very beautiful, and you may encounter bears (I saw one at a great distance there). It gets pretty cold there tho, and even in the height of Summer it's not that warm. It's a popular destination for skiing in Winter too, including Furano. Furano is a nice place to visit during Summer too, and a unique experience - you can smell the flowers everywhere there. Hokkaido's also the best place to learn about Ainu culture, as there are several Ainu museums scattered around the island - I was informed however, it's not polite to ask if someone is Ainu, but some are happy to talk about their history and culture.
Tokyo was massive, and clearly has a huge population, but I didn't enjoy it as much as other parts of Japan.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a great place to visit! Where abouts in Japan will you be going?

My experiences...

Kansai region is an amazing place and worth checking out - notably the deer park in Nara, and the bamboo forest in Kyoto. I went in Summer, but I hear that it's especially nice to see in Autumn.
If you're a nature enthusiast, I recommend Hokkaido as well. The wilderness there is very beautiful, and you may encounter bears (I saw one at a great distance there). It gets pretty cold there tho, and even in the height of Summer it's not that warm. It's a popular destination for skiing in Winter too, including Furano. Furano is a nice place to visit during Summer too, and a unique experience - you can smell the flowers everywhere there. Hokkaido's also the best place to learn about Ainu culture, as there are several Ainu museums scattered around the island - I was informed however, it's not polite to ask if someone is Ainu, but some are happy to talk about their history and culture.
Tokyo was massive, and clearly has a huge population, but I didn't enjoy it as much as other parts of Japan.
I would like to visit Tokyo because they have a video games section I would like to check out. I wanna check where they film the super sentai series. Explore the city as well try out the food. I read there is a lovely park around Tokyo. I would go to Kyoto to check out the shrine. Maybe Osaka too. I read it's good to go between March - May and September - November. The tokyo game show is normally in September. I could go within that time, but normally that's the typhoon season. Did you go on your own or with friends or family? I would like to go on my own for a week or two.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
I would like to visit Tokyo because they have a video games section I would like to check out. I wanna check where they film the super sentai series. Explore the city as well try out the food. I read there is a lovely park around Tokyo. I would go to Kyoto to check out the shrine. Maybe Osaka too. I read it's good to go between March - May and September - November. The tokyo game show is normally in September. I could go within that time, but normally that's the typhoon season. Did you go on your own or with friends or family? I would like to go on my own for a week or two.
Yeah, that's so much to do - and all year round! I didn't spend a great deal of time in Tokyo, so I can't really say much about it, but I did have several bad experiences with taxi drivers, lol! It was amazing seeing just so many people everywhere I looked too.

I went with family. Really glad that we went, and hope to do it again...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Akihabara was pretty cool, other than seeing that and Harajuku I didn't really care for Tokyo all too much. To me it was just another expensive megacity. I did love Japan though. I highly recommend Kyoto and Osaka, and Hakone was gorgeous as well. I was young and dumb when I went, so here's some perhaps obvious advice I can provide before going:

1. Have yen always! Credit/debit cards aren't that popular there and when I went could only be used at chain stores. It's not so much a problem in Tokyo but most food places and mass transit are cash only.

2. It was very safe when I went. Someone like me can easily wander out on the streets at night and feel perfectly fine with it.
3. You HAVE to try Osaka Okonomyaki.
4. Save the night life for a city other than Tokyo unless you don't mind sucker punches to the wallet (All of Japan is more expensive than most places, but Tokyo is the most).
5. Wearing ripped jeans will get you funny looks. When you live somewhere where almost everyone wears jeans, it's very interesting to see the opposite.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I like Japan. I try to go a few times a year.

If you're serious- I'd highly suggest you start looking for a place asap. It's really difficult getting a place since you need to know a native Japanese that's willing to sign for you and other fees that you have to have up front. Not sure how wide spread this is but, I have a friend that's just moved there and he says they now have agencies that will sign for you so you can at least jump that hurdle with ease.

Also, don't worry about the stigma that Japan/Tokyo is "really expensive". There's places that are decent and even cheap. You just have to look around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts