Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Se-concerned with interaction with environment for highest sensory pleasure(objective)
Si-concerned with interaction with environment for highest internal stimulation(subjective)(results from detachment from the object and typically is triggered by previously similar stimuli)

Based on these definitions(based on Jung), shouldn't an Se user have a fragmented visual memory earlier in life while an Si user may have a clear memory earlier in life and vice versa later in life.

Se fragmented memory results from a hyperfocus on specific objects with which they can interact with and thus the other objects are not given as much attention leading to a poor visual memory of the rest.

Si will notice, the most, objects which produce an internal sensation based on prior objects seen. An example would be a focus on a smell because it brings to mind a smell previously experienced and they take time to pinpoint it.

I mentioned age, as a theory, because early in life the Si user doesnt have that much stuff experienced, and neither does the Se user. With age the Se user will become more accustomed and, thus, less enthralled by many items. Getting used to the stimulation given by objects will lead to a reduction in stimulation(imagine doing a bunny slope as a kid vs a professional skier doing a bunny slope) by those objects and in turn will lead to a more and more unfocused perception. The late-life Se user might pay attention to significantly more as they get older and thus would remember more. In the Si users case, early in life they may have little to relate things to with respect to prior stimuli, combined with the detachment from the object, leading to a generally unfocused perception. Later in life, as they accumulate experience with more and more objects, they may find they can relate more things to...well..more things, and thus become more focused and more things as they get older.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Based on these definitions(based on Jung), shouldn't an Se user have a fragmented visual memory earlier in life while an Si user may have a clear memory earlier in life and vice versa later in life.
I don't see why; I'd guess the opposite.

Assuming that we're ignoring all the other factors that affect visual memory (whatever they may be), I would expect someone who prefers Se to be scanning the environment more for new stimuli and more focused on the stimuli themselves, whereas the Si preferer would be more selective about which stimuli get attention in the first place and focused on reactions to the stimuli more than the stimuli themselves. Engaging with the world on its own terms (rather than getting caught up in subjective reactions to it) seems the likely to produce the clearer visual memory.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see why; I'd guess the opposite.

Assuming that we're ignoring all the other factors that affect visual memory (whatever they may be), I would expect someone who prefers Se to be scanning the environment more for new stimuli and more focused on the stimuli themselves, whereas the Si preferer would be more selective about which stimuli get attention in the first place and focused on reactions to the stimuli more than the stimuli themselves. Engaging with the world on its own terms (rather than getting caught up in subjective reactions to it) seems the likely to produce the clearer visual memory.
I 100% agree with that reasoning. But if this is true, why is it that Si users are typically referred to as the one with the clear visual memory.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I 100% agree with that reasoning. But if this is true, why is it that Si users are typically referred to as the one with the clear visual memory.
I bet it depends on how/why they got the information about a given Si users' visual memory. If, for example, someone who prefers Si is just talking about whatever things she prefers to talk about, she's going to focus on the things she cares about, which are the things that have made the strongest impression on her and are therefore things she remembers most clearly.

If you take that same person and quiz her on random objects, you may find that she doesn't remember many of them well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts