Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else experience it (constantly)?

It's like you see everything through a thin veil of TV static, with tiny colored (pale yellow/green) dots constantly swarming, sometimes almost forming vague patterns, but it has a depth. Kind of like being in a snow globe, but without being obscuring.

It's there whether I'm in the dark or light, though it's more noticeable in complete darkness. It doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't interfere with my sight. I've always had it (I think) and until now I thought everyone else did too.

I don't wear glasses (20/20), no drugs, no migraines, no blood pressure issues.

I'm just wondering if it's something linked to INTPs, too much thinking :)P), or just me having some disorder.

Reactions: msholmes

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Sometimes when I notice myself starting to get lost in thought, it literally looks like my world is closing in. Suddenly I don't notice anything going on and it looks like I'm staring at a painting and not real life. I don't focus on anything and it helps me keep my thoughts focused. Possibly the same thing, but to a higher degree for INTP's? I could only imagine if my Ti were replaced with my Ni how much more I would be like this. haha

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Hmmm. This thread is interesting. When I am concentrating hard, my mind blocks out everything around me, and I intensely visualize everything I am thinking, and speak on autopilot, according to the thoughts that are processing simultaneously. It's similar to a detachment from the external world to a dream-like internal world. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes when I notice myself starting to get lost in thought, it literally looks like my world is closing in. Suddenly I don't notice anything going on and it looks like I'm staring at a painting and not real life. I don't focus on anything and it helps me keep my thoughts focused. Possibly the same thing, but to a higher degree for INTP's? I could only imagine if my Ti were replaced with my Ni how much more I would be like this. haha
Ah, I get that too, when I space out...
This is different though. I've been looking on the Internet for info, it seems to be form of permanent migraine, but without the other symptoms (headache etc). So far it's unexplained, and there doesn't seem to be much research on it. And since it's probably something in my brain, I figured I'd check in with other people with weird brain patterns - INTPs. :laughing:

Reactions: ertertwert

·
Registered
429 Posts
I thought everyone did this? o_O

If I'm correct in what you're speaking of...

If I gaze intensely at an object for a few seconds, everything around it will sort of fade away and this whiteness will take its place. Like the worlds slowly fades out.

In darkness I see lights dance before my eyes. There are usually purple and green, and sometimes they fade into each other in a circular pattern. It's really weird. And it's frustrating sometimes, because sometimes all I want to see is complete darkness, and I can't because these purple and green patterns are unfurling before my eyes.

Yesterday I went to Bodies & Dialogue in the Dark, and as soon as the lights faded this started happening again. The darkness was so pressing on my eyelids that I could feel it, and sure enough I saw the purple and green lights dancing again. Of course, as I grew more accustomed to the darkness they kind of faded away and I couldn't see them anymore.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, so sorry if this post was completely useless ^^;>

Reactions: honestfi

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. This thread is interesting. When I am concentrating hard, my mind blocks out everything around me, and I intensely visualize everything I am thinking, and speak on autopilot, according to the thoughts that are processing simultaneously. It's similar to a detachment from the external world to a dream-like internal world. Does that make sense?
Yes, I sometimes experience de-personalization as well when very deep in thought, almost like a trance. When I come back, I get a very strange feeling, like I'm an insect in a jar; that gives me goose bumps.

I'm not sure if it's related to my visual snow. But I like my snow anyway, I'm never truly in the dark, there's always this faint glow all around me. *Crazy face* :blushed:

Reactions: LeoSoma

·
Registered
183 Posts
...with tiny colored (pale yellow/green) dots constantly swarming, sometimes almost forming vague patterns, but it has a depth.
Is this also something similar to like when you close your eyes, push or rub them with your hands and then concentrate on the visuals? Did this all the time when I was a kid.

And yes, I too notice this 'visual snow' from time to time. Even with eyes opened, that is. I've always thought it was a rather common experience.

If I gaze intensely at an object for a few seconds, everything around it will sort of fade away and this whiteness will take its place. Like the worlds slowly fades out.
In darkness I see lights dance before my eyes. There are usually purple and green, and sometimes they fade into each other in a circular pattern. It's really weird. And it's frustrating sometimes, because sometimes all I want to see is complete darkness, and I can't because these purple and green patterns are unfurling before my eyes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I get that too, when I focus on a point. I thought that's normal...? I don't know.

Yesterday I went to Bodies & Dialogue in the Dark, and as soon as the lights faded this started happening again. The darkness was so pressing on my eyelids that I could feel it, and sure enough I saw the purple and green lights dancing again. Of course, as I grew more accustomed to the darkness they kind of faded away and I couldn't see them anymore.

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, so sorry if this post was completely useless ^^;>
Yeah, that sounds like it. Visual static, right? Millions of tiny glowing dots dancing around, sometimes forming patterns. "It is much like camera noise in low light conditions." - from Wikipedia. That describes it pretty well.

It seems to intensify when I'm tired, and when it's dark. So there are times when I find it difficult to fall asleep because of it.

Reactions: AkiKaza

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this also something similar to like when you close your eyes, push or rub them with your hands and then concentrate on the visuals? Did this all the time when I was a kid.

And yes, I too notice this 'visual snow' from time to time. Even with eyes opened, that is. I've always thought it was a rather common experience.
Yes, it's similar to that, though not as intense. "The symptom of the visual disturbances has been described as as aeropsia (literally "seeing the air")." - Describes it pretty well too.

Reactions: pie and LeoSoma

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
It seems to intensify when I'm tired, and when it's dark. So there are times when I find it difficult to fall asleep because of it.
Yes, I sometimes experience de-personalization as well when very deep in thought, almost like a trance. When I come back, I get a very strange feeling, like I'm an insect in a jar; that gives me goose bumps.

I'm not sure if it's related to my visual snow. But I like my snow anyway, I'm never truly in the dark, there's always this faint glow all around me. *Crazy face* :blushed:
These feelings may actually relate to de-realization.

"Derealization (DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems strange or unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional colouring and depth."

Symptoms:

• spaciness
  • like looking through a gray veil
  • a sensory fog
  • spaced-out
  • being trapped in a glass bell jar
  • in a goldfish bowl
  • behind glass
  • in a Disney-world dream state
  • withdrawn
  • feeling cut off or distant from the immediate surroundings
  • like being a spectator at some strange and meaningless game
  • objects appear diminished in size
  • flat
  • dream-like
  • cartoon-like
  • artificial; objects appear to be unsolid, to breathe, or to shimmer
  • "as if my head were inside a Coke bottle and I'm viewing the world through the thick glass at the bottom"
"It is also a transient side effect of acute drug intoxication, sleep deprivation, and stress."

Derealization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depersonalization and Derealization

Reactions: Nastorm

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I can see the same static whenever I look at something very white, or when I look at the sky for more than a few seconds. But one question. Do you physically see these patterns or are they simply perceived? Because that makes a HUGE difference. :mellow:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have that sensation too. It's rather annoying sometimes. Everything I look at looks staticy, with white speckles in my whole field of vision. When I close my eyes, I see mostly purple and green.

I get frustrated too when I'm looking in complete darkness and see spots constantly moving. I just want to see nothing.

My maternal grandmother and mother both suffer from migraines. My grandma used to take medication closely linked to LSD, haha. Back in the 60's.

I've started to get migraines too, every couple of months. The first thing that happens is my vision is reduced to about 20%. It scares the shit out of me. I'm terrified I'm going to get one while I'm driving. It comes on very quickly. I see spots at first and swirling in my vision, then within a matter of minutes my vision is gone.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I've started to get migraines too, every couple of months. The first thing that happens is my vision is reduced to about 20%. It scares the shit out of me. I'm terrified I'm going to get one while I'm driving. It comes on very quickly. I see spots at first and swirling in my vision, then within a matter of minutes my vision is gone.
This could be due to spasms or an expansion of blood vessels in the brain, eyestrain, retinal tear, degeneration of your vitreous, nearsightedness, lack of sleep, and so on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These feelings may actually relate to de-realization.

"Derealization (DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems strange or unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional colouring and depth."

Symptoms:

• spaciness
  • like looking through a gray veil
  • a sensory fog
  • spaced-out
  • being trapped in a glass bell jar
  • in a goldfish bowl
  • behind glass
  • in a Disney-world dream state
  • withdrawn
  • feeling cut off or distant from the immediate surroundings
  • like being a spectator at some strange and meaningless game
  • objects appear diminished in size
  • flat
  • dream-like
  • cartoon-like
  • artificial; objects appear to be unsolid, to breathe, or to shimmer
  • "as if my head were inside a Coke bottle and I'm viewing the world through the thick glass at the bottom"
"It is also a transient side effect of acute drug intoxication, sleep deprivation, and stress."

Derealization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depersonalization and Derealization
The depersonalizations might be from lack of sleep and stress. Especially lately.
But the "seeing the air"/visual snow condition has been there for as long as I can remember. I think everyone experiences something similar when going from bright light to darkness, like turning off the lights? Except for me it's permanent.

Do you physically see these patterns or are they simply perceived? Because that makes a HUGE difference
I don't think I actually see them. Patterns seem to appear when I close my eyes, or in the dark. But it's a very rapid succession of patterns, so I can't really make anything out.
Hmm, if I do focus on a central point while my eyes are closed, I see a small rhomboidal pattern with more complicated patterns inside that I can't make out, it's shifting up and down, kind of like a filmstrip in a projector, but I tend to avoid that because it's annoying.

Ok, by now you're probably calling the asylum. :laughing:

My maternal grandmother and mother both suffer from migraines. My grandma used to take medication closely linked to LSD, haha. Back in the 60's.
I did read something about migraines, except I don't remember ever having a head-ache.
So I suppose it's like I'm always high. That's not so bad...

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts

I see the purple and green dots too. I think everybody does? It is bothersome sometimes.
But what our collegue has seems to be a condition, though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have visual snow too and it's just like you've described. I have 20/20 vision too. I've had visual snow all my life or at least as long as I can remember. I've never done drugs or anything either. It doesn't really bother me because I'm so use to it. It gets worse in the dark and I see it when I close my eyes too. I don't see any colors though.

I'm an INFP btw. I've heard it also being called "visual static". Have you seen this message board: Visual snow or static Forums

1 - 20 of 33 Posts