Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about visual typing? I wouldn't type people based on their looks, however, it seems to me, that there is a visual correlation between the expressions of people from the same type. I noticed it on MBTI-Sorted, while looking at the ESFPs, and then again in the photographs of types by Filatova (from Socionics).

Sources:
mbti-sorted
Photographs of Types by Filatova - Wikisocion

It's hard to explain exactly what I see, but it's something about the eyes, and ESFPs looking, like they are really looking at the world. Whether it's that their eyes are more open, or about something subtle that I can't quite explain, I've managed to guess the type of quite a couple of faces on there, and immediately to think "ESFP!". A lot of the judgers (especially INFJs and ISFJs, if I remember) especially seem to have a more introspective look.

What do you think? Is there a (loose) correlation? Is it bullshit? Does it match your facial features/expression?

·
God of 1000 Suns
2,547 Posts
I don't know. I always thought that typing by looks was a bit bullshit. Especially since I can't see any similarities that stand out.

Reactions: The Dude

·
Registered
710 Posts
There's certainly a loose correlation. Sometimes after I've figured out someone's type I noticed that they look similar to another person of the same type. It's possible for me that the first impression I get is a dead give away. It does need to be more than just a picture, it has to be in a 'natural setting' when the person is behaving naturally.

If you're stuck in one place of the world for a while it becomes easier to see visual correlations between types. But once you go to a new place in the world, say asia, you can start over again. Their physical features have little resembles to western ones.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
What do you think about visual typing? I wouldn't type people based on their looks, however, it seems to me, that there is a visual correlation between the expressions of people from the same type. I noticed it on MBTI-Sorted, while looking at the ESFPs, and then again in the photographs of types by Filatova (from Socionics).

Sources:
mbti-sorted

It's hard to explain exactly what I see, but it's something about the eyes, and ESFPs looking, like they are really looking at the world. Whether it's that their eyes are more open, or about something subtle that I can't quite explain, I've managed to guess the type of quite a couple of faces on there, and immediately to think "ESFP!". A lot of the judgers (especially INFJs and ISFJs, if I remember) especially seem to have a more introspective look.

What do you think? Is there a (loose) correlation? Is it bullshit? Does it match your facial features/expression?
Even though I look like an ENTP in this visual typing displays (I see myself as an ENTP...although ENFP is a possibility), it's mostly BS that is entertaining.

Reactions: Dora

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Sources:
mbti-sorted

SeFi | Vedaer – Cognitive Type

Cognitive Types tries to get at this, which was created by two INTPs. I didn't believe it at first, but after several years, I keep coming back to reference it. Typing people visually can be quite a subtle art and so I'm sure mistakes are made all the time. I make mistakes on myself all the time (though that is why they recommend being screened by a pro...which I have no patience/money for. lol) The information is more scarce than I wish it was. They used to have fabulous videos on youtube, but took them down. They are restarting some vids, so you may check them out and they also have their own forum...but some people on there seem a bit elitist, so I left.

You are right on the mark about the eyes, though. Se is often said to have peeled back eyes, intense at times, penetrating...but then can go into dazed Ni eyes which become softer...kind of sleepy looking. While Ne eyes are more relaxed throughout. It is tough to explain myself, so take a look at the site if you want! (I try to keep this stuff on the downlow because last time I brought it up, people attacked it all so vigorously without giving it a chance...I understand it can be quite controversial...it can actually lead you to reconsider long standing beliefs of yourself and others. Honestly, it changed my whole outlook on people, on myself. I just wish there was even more information out there. It is still in its infancy.)

Reactions: Dora

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
Yes, I think there is validity to visual typing. I don't do a lot of typing by request these days, but when I do my very first request is whether the person is willing to make a video, or get on webcam so I can see them in person.

When I "VI" people, physical features make up a very small part of what I would be looking for to type. Much more important is demeanor, facial reactions (or lack thereof), posture, and where the eyes go. I am very confident that someone good at translating these cues into words could come up with a solid paradigm for VI typing that even works consistently when people are the same type but have completely different interests and conflicting behavior traits. I know two people who are ESFP, know they are ESFP, and have very similar body energetics despite being completely different people in terms of behavior and personality.

One thing I've noticed repeatedly with ESFP is that their face gets "fixed" easily. There are moments where they stare at something in a fixed way, but are visibly still scanning their environment, only to immediately fix somewhere else. When they're fixed on specific people, their faces can be pretty expressive - smiles, use of eyebrows, different mouth and eye movements that move with each other. They often combine these "face fixes" with personalized comments to people they know, which creates a sense of verbal closeness and certainty. I wouldn't call it "penetrating" in the sense of being intimidating, but more to show direct engagement with surroundings.

ESTP do the same thing, but with more of a deadpan, sometimes skeptical/mistrusting look and sometimes with more "scowling" eyebrows that arch upwards and smiles that are more like grins or polite smiles that they don't even open their mouth for.

ISFP and ISTP also do it, but look more rigid and their faces look more tense, consistent, and angular, whereas ES_P quickly fix and re-fix with more movement in their faces when their expression changes.

·
God of 1000 Suns
2,547 Posts
Yes, I think there is validity to visual typing. I don't do a lot of typing by request these days, but when I do my very first request is whether the person is willing to make a video, or get on webcam so I can see them in person.

When I "VI" people, physical features make up a very small part of what I would be looking for to type. Much more important is demeanor, facial reactions (or lack thereof), posture, and where the eyes go. I am very confident that someone good at translating these cues into words could come up with a solid paradigm for VI typing that even works consistently when people are the same type but have completely different interests and conflicting behavior traits. I know two people who are ESFP, know they are ESFP, and have very similar body energetics despite being completely different people in terms of behavior and personality.

One thing I've noticed repeatedly with ESFP is that their face gets "fixed" easily. There are moments where they stare at something in a fixed way, but are visibly still scanning their environment, only to immediately fix somewhere else. When they're fixed on specific people, their faces can be pretty expressive - smiles, use of eyebrows, different mouth and eye movements that move with each other. They often combine these "face fixes" with personalized comments to people they know, which creates a sense of verbal closeness and certainty. I wouldn't call it "penetrating" in the sense of being intimidating, but more to show direct engagement with surroundings.

ESTP do the same thing, but with more of a deadpan, sometimes skeptical/mistrusting look and sometimes with more "scowling" eyebrows that arch upwards and smiles that are more like grins or polite smiles that they don't even open their mouth for.

ISFP and ISTP also do it, but look more rigid and their faces look more tense, consistent, and angular, whereas ES_P quickly fix and re-fix with more movement in their faces when their expression changes.
Eyes movement and behavior I can get down with. When people talk of VI i usually think of physical features. For me one of the best indicators of Se to me IRL is eye movement. Come into contact with another Se dominant is very interesting. Its a sense that we are both assessing each other, our eyes will lock a few time while we scan each other. I'm always aware when we enter each other's territory.

Reactions: Ryosuke93

·
Registered
135 Posts
Total random and out there, but a lot of ESFPs that I've met or have heard about from mutual friends all seem to have dyed red hair.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Total random and out there, but a lot of ESFPs that I've met or have heard about from mutual friends all seem to have dyed red hair.
haha. Not me. But yes, random and out there indeed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts