Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago lirulin and I were discussing if and when we visualize while reading.

I assumed the way I did it was pretty standard: when I read theoretical texts and most non-fiction, I have nothing in the mind's eye. There are no images. When I read narratives, however, there is this running visualization of what is happening. It's not very clear, but it's still there.

lirulin however, doesn't visualize at all. Even when reading stories. Some of her dreams don't even consist of images.

I find this fascinating.

What and when do you visualize when you read, if you do it at all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I visualize most stories, but feeling it would be a better word in this case.. When the book/story is exciting I can hear as the characters talk, feel the whole ambience of the scene and see what the narrator can see.
Some years ago I read a childrens' book and a few days after finishing it I had a strange feeling that I was in a theatre a few days ago. I tried to call back the story of the play and then it suddenly hit me: I never saw this story, and at the time I thought I was in the theatre I read the book.
The simple memory of reading made me believe that I saw the story on stage.

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I visualize everything I read. For narratives, I usually have a individual, detailed mental image (or a detailed animation/movie kind of thing) to go along with everything that happens. I'm super-visual, so... yeah. idk, my brain just works like that.

I really love the "words"/"words into images" part of reading. I'd rather read a good novel or a good fanfiction over a good manga or comic book any day, just because of how amazing it is that a person can craft an awesome universe with words only. \o/ Writers are such BAMFs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I visualize just about everything I read, and it's mostly very clear.
Sometimes I'll even stop reading for a second, so I can visualize my own ending for the story or for what's about to happen next.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can, but it's hard work. I think my mind is pretty bad at visual processing, and my visual memory may as well not exist except as a very basic database of shapes and colors and a few faces. I find action sequences in novels to be endlessly dull, and have frequently found my eyes sliding over prolonged fight scenes or imagery because it does very little to help me understand the story.

This is one reason why I think my Ne is so developed: I spent the majority of my childhood reading, improving my ability to comprehend plots and characters and words and ideas, and not much experiencing the real world. I did, however, listen to a lot of classical music, and I think that because of this I have an exceptionally good aural memory.

I've often thought that I'd rather go blind than deaf. I suspect that most iNtuitives would, actually.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
When I read, it's as though I'm watching a movie simultaneously. I visualize every little detail of the scene as I'm reading. Some books are harder than others. I'm not easily able to visualize things that don't exist in reality, for instance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I usually visualise, or for a better description, feel the action when reading stories, mostly fiction. I frequently catch myself reading an interesting part, then going over the scene in my head several times, sometimes even re-reading it.

It could just be Pratchett, though....

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
One of the main reasons that I love to read is because of my visualization of the text. :) I love bringing stories and characters to life in my mind. It's something that I've found to be somewhat humorous about myself because aside from my internal imagination, I really have no other sense of imagination. I'm horrible at playing pretend with my daughter, for example.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I visualize everything I read. In order to learn from a nonfiction text I need to see it function in my mind. Narrative is the worst for me if it is written with a lot of unnecessary description. I love Anne Rice but her books are like pulling out my finger nails, she describes everything in such detail my brain gets tired faster.
I visualize numbers and I visualize time as circular.

...don't get me started on assigning colors, emotions and personalities to things that don't have anything to do with color, emotions and personalities. (I could have mental issues):tongue:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love visualizing. I'm a very visual person; I'll remember where information was on a page, even if I don't remember the information itself. Pie charts work wonders for me.

I imagine these stories where I'm "saying" in my head what the text will say, but I'm also imagining the action.

However, I generally don't imagine non-fiction things. It's just boring to me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Have you ever been frustrated with a movie made based on a book you read because the actors or scenery was nothing like you imagined? I can usually get past it after a few minutes but you get attached to the vision you created in your head about a character.

Reactions: Alima

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you ever been frustrated with a movie made based on a book you read because the actors or scenery was nothing like you imagined? I can usually get past it after a few minutes but you get attached to the vision you created in your head about a character.
Well I never get past it haha. :crying:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts