Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this site about visually identifying the cognitive functions, and found it to be hugely true in some areas, but there's a lot of information lacking in others:

For example, this guy matches Ti to a T:

And this woman matches Fe and Ni quite strongly:

But the Ne and Se descriptions on that page are lacking.

As are the Si descriptions.

Does anyone know more information about this? Do you match the descriptions that should be expected of your cognitive functions?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I can follow the Ti-guy's logic without a problem. The thing is, I would think after coming to that conclusion "So, what can I do about it? Nothing? Hm, nevermind then.", or I would think about how the system can be changed to make it more efficient/productive.

It seems like Ti is much more thorough in coming to conclusions, but it seems to stop when it reaches it. (The guy going, "I don't see why.") He doesn't care about changing it, for him it seems to be about understanding. The 'why'.

This is just my impression of it though. I still find it a rather difficult topic to completely grasp.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can follow the Ti-guy's logic without a problem. The thing is, I would think after coming to that conclusion "So, what can I do about it? Nothing? Hm, nevermind then.", or I would think about how the system can be changed to make it more efficient/productive.

It seems like Ti is much more thorough in coming to conclusions, but it seems to stop when it reaches it. (The guy going, "I don't see why.") He doesn't care about changing it, for him it seems to be about understanding. The 'why'.

This is just my impression of it though. I still find it a rather difficult topic to completely grasp.
I'm talking purely about visual typing. Not the content of what he's saying.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) & Introverted Thinking (Ti)

Introverted Feeling (Fi) and Introverted Thinking (Ti) are introverted Judging functions. Since the eyes are instruments of Perceiving rather than Judging, when Fi or Ti is engaged, the eyes as well as the individual’s facial expressions can appear flat, flaccid, and expressionless (especially with Ti). According to CT, during the process of introverted Judging, the “body freezes” and the eyes appear disconnected and irrelevant.

When Ti is engaged, the face loses all its expression and the eyes fall downward and disengage. While Fi can also appear flat, once a particular emotion begins to build and gain momentum, it may (despite the best effort of the Fi type to contain it) eventually spill over into the eyes and face.
http://personalityjunkie.com/06/cognitive-type-functions-eye-movements-ni-ne-fi-ti-se-si-fe-te/

Do you see how this boy's face exactly resembles this description? His face is practically a talking statue--it never moves. The expression is blank and lifeless.

1,239 Posts
(Fi) I match it mostly I think, I wouldn't say my eyes go 'flat' more like they just zone out. But the bit about the emotion/thought gaining momentum and causing the eyes and face to 'light up' is very true for me. I think the Ne backing up the Fi causes the 'flat' effect of the eyes to be reduced some what.

I'll give an example in a video I like:

Skip to 6:55ish you see up until when the middle guy (infp) starts to talk, he has the kind of blank face that was described and then when he starts to talk and the thought begins to take form you see some sort of emotion leak out onto his face. I think that was what was meant by the article anyway, and its very similar for me.

Thanks for posting this interesting thing

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'm talking purely about visual typing. Not the content of what he's saying.

Cognitive Type, Functions, & Eye Movements: Ni, Ne, Fi, Ti, Se, Si, Fe, Te

Do you see how this boy's face exactly resembles this description? His face is practically a talking statue--it never moves. The expression is blank and lifeless.
Ah yes, I see your point. I would be more likely to use my hands to try to make the message more clear (hardly ever works, but I just do it automatically). It looks like he is about to fall asleep.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like he is about to fall asleep.
That's totally the impression I get of Ti, too.

lol. . . . . poor Michael I pick on him so much. But he's such a great example of this.

His voice is just completely devoid of any enthusiasm or accentuation. Like the guy's face and voice in the first video.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

I think she is the quintessential Te dom subject. She shows good Te expressionism.

Compare to another Je Pi example:

Like Fe as hell. And Pe as hell. look at her eyes darting all over the place.

I would say she starts off showing a lot of Fe and then backs down into a more steady Pe>Ti and some Fe.

If we go off the visual typing notes:

The primary purpose of the eyes is extraverted perception. Hence, it does not seem unreasonable to predict the eyes to be most active—darting, toggling, and looking around—when an individual is using an extraverted Perceiving function (Se or Ne).
Totally. And we totally see this hardcore in her. So she's probably a dominant of one of those.

As discussed in my e-book, The 16 Personality Types, Se attunes to actualities and concrete details of the immediate environment. It is quick to notice sensory changes or physical movements, which is why SPs often excel in activities like team sports or emergency medicine. The eyes of SP types often appear wide and alert. Since Se is not a verbal function (especially not a “explorative” verbal function like Ne) and its primary focus in a one-to-one conversation is the interlocutor’s physical expressions and responses, ESPs are less likely to appear distracted when conversing than ENPs are (assuming the ESP isn’t terribly bored or restless).
This makes me think Ne.

This likely ties into what CT describes as the Se “lock in,” in which the Se user locks their gaze onto the person they are speaking with.
We don't see this so much with her. She's really scatter-brained looking :laughing:

Unlike Se, Ne is unconcerned with the concrete details or happenings of the immediate environment. Rather, it is interested in scanning for new ideas, connections, and possibilities. Despite the fact that much of this scanning is mental (N) rather than sensory in nature, when Ne is engaged, the eyes can often be seen darting broadly from side-to-side, as if they were looking around for something. This alone may contribute to ENPs’ reputation for appearing distracted, flighty, and scattered, which is only bolstered by the random, disjointed, and scattered musings of NP types.
I think this exactly describes the woman in the video. An ENTP.

Reactions: Ninjaws

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
While I definitely think it's possible to correlate non-verbal cues to functions, I am highly skeptical of anything based on the CognitiveType people. They have roots in podlair and a history of circular logic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
While I definitely think it's possible to correlate non-verbal cues to functions, I am highly skeptical of anything based on the CognitiveType people. They have roots in podlair and a history of circular logic.
I agree. There can definitely be a correlation between nonverbal expression and cognitive function being used, but I wouldn't go as far as to associate those with mbti types. The two systems are not totally correlated.
I use Ni gaze a lot!! When I am speaking I usually look more down and to the side than to the person. That's interesting, considering Ni is my dominant function.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I was reading this site about visually identifying the cognitive functions, and found it to be hugely true in some areas, but there's a lot of information lacking in others:

For example, this guy matches Ti to a T:
I dunno, to me it looks like he's glancing over at a script/notes to talk about. So I'm not sure how reliable of an example it is.

·
Banned
1,536 Posts
You can see perceiving through the gaze / the eyes.
Se is forceful and sharp, Ni is detached and melancholic.
Ne is somewhat naive and exploring, Si is down-to-earth but often look to the bottom (like trying to live once more previous physical states).

Ti and Te are cold or neutral. Ti has a neutral face, and often makes pauses when talking. His speech is structured and his cheeks are neutral. Ti seems to process information.

Te likes to move his hands a lot. His voice is monotonous but smooth. He tries to emphasize some words that are important. Ti seems to give information.

Fe is really warm and will definitely reach you heart. Fe will have a warm smile, that will make you smile. The eye, brows and cheeks are really expressive. He will often be to loud when talking, because the emotions are hard to keep in (especially in a debate/argument).

Fi is somewhat restricted and limited. It will never be very expressive, except for the area around the mouth. The inferior part of the face will be expressive, but not the top (eyes and brows). The smile is "snarling", not warm life Fe. Again, it seems like the emotions are restricted.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Damn, I wanted to be like "Jamie Hyneman must have Ti then!" He has Te, according to Celebrity types (ISTJ).

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I think a lot of nonverbal expression can be learned. The descriptions I'm reading of Fi is at least not how I am when I am communicating (and willing to show emotion). It is too easy for people to take things the wrong way if all warmth is kept from the face. And an arched brow can be such a succinct form of of communication. :kitteh:

It seems to me that the "identifying" features are based more on stereotypes and assumptions than evidence. It is interesting and fun to take a look at the patterns, but I am wary of taking it seriously. I think it can easily lead to mistyping people.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Ne, particularly, ENTP, have a signature. Their body moves around, and weird eruptions. It is like they are being moved by a puppeteer or something. It doesn't look natural. lol.

Richard Feynman is a good example of this Ne quirkiness:

Max Tegmark:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Does anyone know more information about this? Do you match the descriptions that should be expected of your cognitive functions?
I always wondered why my personality psychology professor rarely made eye contact, seeking information around like there is something jumping in his mind and he tries to pick the words.

I recently tend to notice I do the same when speaking to someone about a delicate topic. I want them to "get" my perception on things and I can only do that by being still with rapid eye movement. When my thought is about to be expressed outside of my mind in clarity, then I often use enthusiastic expressions, trying to give my words to someone as a present of my idea.

But since Fe users also use Ti, they may alternate between appearing highly expressive (Fe) and showing no expression at all (Ti).
This is a good description.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I was part of the Cognitive Type forum and I uploaded a couple of videos and was typed as NeFi. I thought I was a mild version of NeFi though, because I wasn't very buoyant or jittery. According to the cues, I was Fi-Te because my smiles were more "snarly" and personal and not very warm. I think I am Ti-dom, but I can see how I could be confusing it with Fi.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts