• Why would you make this poll?!

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested what types are potential "grammar nazi" style perfectionists, whether you would usually mention such inconsistencies or not.

One thing that really irks me about this forum is the "progress" bars - they are wrong. 302 (my post count at time of posting) is not 33% of 1000!

If you have noticed that they are wrong vote for your type, if you didn't notice just say so (sorry, limited number of choices...) and if you think I'm crazy for creating a poll about it vote for that too :tongue:

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I am interested in what types are potential "grammar nazi" style perfectionists, whether you would usually mention such inconsistencies or not.

One thing that really irks me about this forum is the "progress" bars - they are wrong. 302 (my post count at time of posting) is not 33% of 1000!

If you have noticed that they are wrong vote for your type, if you didn't notice just say so (sorry, limited number of choices...) and if you think I'm crazy for creating a poll about it vote for that too :tongue:
I believe that you mean 'I am interested in what types' ...

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Generally, it seems as if Te-users are more about grammar Nazi-ism. I've even seen some ENFPs(tertiary Te) who were grammar Nazis.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Okay, don''t make me laugh. INTP far surpasses the INTJs in this area. Don't even. :tongue:

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I am interested what types are potential "grammar nazi" style perfectionists, whether you would usually mention such inconsistencies or not.

If you have noticed that they are wrong, vote for your type, if you didn't notice, just say so... if you think I'm crazy for creating a poll about it, vote for that too.

I mentally correct punctuation in posts, whether those posts are mine or another person's. I never actually point it out to anyone because that's a dick move (and anyway I intentionally leave out punctuation or use my speaking-style grammar to better mimic my speech when I'm online, so I figure it's better to give everyone the benefit of the doubt), but yeah. I notice it. OH GOD OH GOD /stigmatized as a grammar nazi foreverrrr

I think it should have read "I am interested which types ..." though
I would have written something like "I am interested in finding out which types..." instead, because "what types" sounds a little clumsy and "I am interested which types" is also a little clumsy. Clumsy writing can make it difficult for your reader to immediately understand the message you're trying to convey, and it's generally a bad idea make things difficult for your reader. This is especially true when you're trying to convey information or a request for information.

................OH GOD OH GOD CAN YOU TELL HOW MANY YEARS OF ENGLISH CLASS I'VE HAD /sobs quietly

Although the more I get into linguistics, the less I give a crap about ~*~proper~*~ grammar. fufufufu?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Nah, INTPs are into semantics, INTJs are into grammar :crazy:
Of course that depends in what way you are using the word "semantics". :wink:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clumsy writing can make it difficult for your reader to immediately understand the message you're trying to convey, and it's generally a bad idea make things difficult for your reader.
Although the more I get into linguistics, the less I give a crap about ~*~proper~*~ grammar. fufufufu?
So you complain at the spelling and grammar, yet have no problem with the use of the word "irk"? I had never really given any thought to the international nature of this forum, and I'm sure more people will be confused by that word than a missing comma or two :crazy:

I'm just glad there are still people out there who make some effort to write well - please don't stop! :happy:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I did not even know what the progress bar was for and did not bother to find out because it was stupid to me. I had already decided a long time ago that what it was measuring my progress on was either not what I would have measured my progress on or wrong anyway. So, I guess that means my intuition noticed it and my Ti justified my intuition by not looking into it further, not respectively.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Yes, I noticed it very quickly after joining the site. Yes, I found it very irksome. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The progress bar isn't wrong; It just isn't very precise. I noticed it pretty quickly, but it doesn't bother me.

And, no. English is too subjective. In reality, there are no right and wrong answers. No one really has the authority to decide what is right when it comes to grammar. Language is something that has evolved and continued to evolve. What is considered by the majority to be acceptable today, was often once considered slang (for example, the word "contact"). What is considered bad English today, may be considered correct in the future. That's what I always thought and that's what my grammar professor told me this semester. I'm an English major, btw. We aren't all elitist anti-language evolutionists. Well, as time has went on, authorities have accepted the subjectivity of language more and more.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Its wrong! I spent like 30 minutes trying to figure out a formula for it.....

oops thought this was about the thank post numbers.

Reactions: Unicorntopia

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
progress = postcount / 1000
if progress < 0.1 [show 0 %]
else if progress < .33 [show 10%]
else if progress < .55 [show 33%]

No idea what language it's written in but it looks easy enough to me, and that's partly why it bothers me so much :tongue:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I didn't notice... but I also feel like 302/1000 is about 33%. I don't understand numbers.

If it were a grammar/spelling thing I'd be all over it. Numbers I tune out.

progress = postcount / 1000
if progress < 0.1 [show 0 %]
else if progress < .33 [show 10%]
else if progress < .55 [show 33%]

No idea what language it's written in but it looks easy enough to me, and that's partly why it bothers me so much :tongue:

Huh? Whats are you talking about? What is going on? -confused- I hate numbers! :(

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I didn't notice because I don't think about numbers at all. I don't care. They don't mean anything valuable. :)

If it had been a misspelling or a language error, I might have been more attentive.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I didn't notice because I don't think about numbers at all. I don't care. They don't mean anything valuable. :)

If it had been a misspelling or a language error, I might have been more attentive.
I am an accountant. I can't ignore numbers. I try to though. :dry: I think in likelihoods and percentages. :crazy: I don't even balance my checkbook or credit cards I remember it all and anything that looks funny (I did not charge) sticks out like a sore thumb and I will look into it. It is probably horrible, but this is how I do my job as internal auditor and general accountant. It works for me though. I do have a less than 2% error rate. That is all that is needed to pass an audit with no material misstatements. :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts