Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if INTJs and ISTJs are somewhat same.
I want to know what makes us differ from one another.

Let's assume a scenario where: You are a high school kid and a girl/boy likes you and sends her/his friend over to tell her/his feelings to you.
What would you do ISTJs?

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
Speaking only of resident Internet self-identified INTJ's, I've observed some of the newer testees consistently making posts that should belong on r/iamverysmart and r/niceguys as memes ;) The most extreme cases would have their posts on r/incels (but that one's gone!)

Don't think I've seen many such posts from ISTJ's (if any) so there's one difference.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I was wondering if INTJs and ISTJs are somewhat same.
I want to know what makes us differ from one another.

Let's assume a scenario where: You are a high school kid and a girl/boy likes you and sends her/his friend over to tell her/his feelings to you.
What would you do ISTJs?
I can tell you exactly how I behaved in exactly that scenario... I would (and did) welcome it.

I was a month away from graduating from high school, just a week or so after being dumped by my prom date. I was at the library one evening, sitting with a couple of other guys. Out of the blue, a junior girl that I barely knew came up to me and said, "Marianne REALLY wants you to give her a ride home tonight!"

I'd had my eye on Marianne for some time, but never approached her because there was no ISTJ-grade certainty that she would be interested in me... *NOW* there was that that "hit you over the head" certainty that we ISTJs need, so I walked over to her table and said, "I understand you need a ride home." Smooth... right?

Anyway, I drove her home from the library that night, a six block trip that took an hour with all the talking we did. It's almost 44 years later and we'll be married 40 years this June.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
@mrfe ... I think your signature...

"Kill them with success, bury them with smile"

...could be telling of another ISTJ/INTJ difference. I seem to see this type of attitude often among INTJs that I almost never see in ISTJs, least of all myself. I just don't ever think that way... my only concern is doing the best for myself and my inner circle. This difference has often surprised me because we share TeFi, and that's where I would think this sort of "life philosophy" would originate from.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Speaking only of resident Internet self-identified INTJ's, I've observed some of the newer testees consistently making posts that should belong on r/iamverysmart and r/niceguys as memes ;) The most extreme cases would have their posts on r/incels (but that one's gone!)

Don't think I've seen many such posts from ISTJ's (if any) so there's one difference.
I assume that's reddit.com reference. Personally i have been there few times, quickly noticed that its full of people stuck on their opinions, trying to prove their point without really listening other side. Avoiding site like the fire.

There is a video about Keirsey's temperaments on YT by ENFJ (I can't post links) in which she says something like : "how to spot NT? Go to reddit.com you will find them "

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,513 Posts
Well, since INTJ and ISTJ differ in Ni/Si, I would think the main difference would be something along the lines of: An INTJ will more likely make decisions without gathering all solid, identifiable evidence while an ISTJ would need that absolute proof before making a sound decision. This is under the assumption that INTJs actually make these mental leaps. My INTJ husband does make decisions quicker than me. With everything being said, it's not that ISTJs aren't future oriented. I always think about what could happen in the future if I make these decisions today - I do this all the time. However, the process I take to come to that conclusion often involves lots of information gathering to ensure I don't make a bad decision.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Knowing some human specimens from both types I will tell you there is quite a big difference. Ni dom is very creative and N in general is going to gather data about their surroundings in a way that can predict what will happen easily and almost instantly. So knowing the possibilities and being able to create easily because of possibilities.
In fact I think from some neuroscience and brain scans you’d find that Ni processes in a different way completely. Supposedly Ni uses almost the whole brain to bring about a harmonious whole of information. INTJ soften tell me that they think in symbols and their thinking is just right off of the subconscious so they often feel that they don’t even know how they got their info. From what I’ve read of Si it is much more categorical. The brain works like files of memory and that memory is sensory- grounded. You are driven to find meticulous details and find consistency to make decisions. I find the Fi of both INTJs and ISTJs to be fairly similar in expression except that INTJs often use theirs creatively in art or music. And just 1 big generalized idea is that ISTJs see their outside world as fairly nebulous and chaotic, only bringing order to it with consistent data gathering and Te decisions. A N person is never going to feel that way about the world because they can play with the possibilities of the world— okay that’s more Ne, but I surely don’t see the nebulous world view in Ni users.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've narrowed this down to lateral thinking and analytical thinking. N = lots of lateral/creative = connections, concepts before taking decisions. Analytical = specific data points to get to a conclusion. N is fun because once you nail down the big-picture idea, you can easily make decisions based on that. But can be overwhelming.

Just an example of how this applies in real life, N is thinking 'in the grander scheme of things'.
So appearing late somewhere may not stress me out, in the grander scheme XYZ was more important, XYZ couldn't be controlled, I'll do other stuff to make up for shortfall, etc.
To an S, it might appear that I am being disrespectful and just not on the ball. It's a data point 'X was late'.

Knowing some human specimens from both types I will tell you there is quite a big difference. Ni dom is very creative and N in general is going to gather data about their surroundings in a way that can predict what will happen easily and almost instantly. So knowing the possibilities and being able to create easily because of possibilities.
In fact I think from some neuroscience and brain scans you’d find that Ni processes in a different way completely. Supposedly Ni uses almost the whole brain to bring about a harmonious whole of information. INTJ soften tell me that they think in symbols and their thinking is just right off of the subconscious so they often feel that they don’t even know how they got their info. From what I’ve read of Si it is much more categorical. The brain works like files of memory and that memory is sensory- grounded. You are driven to find meticulous details and find consistency to make decisions. I find the Fi of both INTJs and ISTJs to be fairly similar in expression except that INTJs often use theirs creatively in art or music. And just 1 big generalized idea is that ISTJs see their outside world as fairly nebulous and chaotic, only bringing order to it with consistent data gathering and Te decisions. A N person is never going to feel that way about the world because they can play with the possibilities of the world— okay that’s more Ne, but I surely don’t see the nebulous world view in Ni users.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Comparing to myself, I find INTJs are much more "obscure" in their view of things in a sense. They are on the whole just more weird, heh. Also very conceptual.

From what I’ve read of Si it is much more categorical. The brain works like files of memory and that memory is sensory- grounded. You are driven to find meticulous details and find consistency to make decisions. I find the Fi of both INTJs and ISTJs to be fairly similar in expression except that INTJs often use theirs creatively in art or music. And just 1 big generalized idea is that ISTJs see their outside world as fairly nebulous and chaotic, only bringing order to it with consistent data gathering and Te decisions. A N person is never going to feel that way about the world because they can play with the possibilities of the world— okay that’s more Ne, but I surely don’t see the nebulous world view in Ni users.
I don't really see the outside world as nebulous. It's all concrete tangible stuff. Why would that be nebulous as in, vague, ill-defined? I do apply consistency in things though, yes.

Well, since INTJ and ISTJ differ in Ni/Si, I would think the main difference would be something along the lines of: An INTJ will more likely make decisions without gathering all solid, identifiable evidence while an ISTJ would need that absolute proof before making a sound decision. This is under the assumption that INTJs actually make these mental leaps. My INTJ husband does make decisions quicker than me. With everything being said, it's not that ISTJs aren't future oriented. I always think about what could happen in the future if I make these decisions today - I do this all the time. However, the process I take to come to that conclusion often involves lots of information gathering to ensure I don't make a bad decision.
If you think about the future all the time, you are N (Ni) pretty much. That's a basic definition really.

To add to the thread, I think of the future way more sporadic than this. I'm aware of concrete logical consequences but I don't think much of "what could happen in the future".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts