Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After noticing odd ways I take in data using my 5 senses, I have yet to find common ground with a few of my friends. I wanted to see how many others use their senses in odd ways. (I didn’t post this in the SJ forum area because of the low traffic on that forum)

What clever ways do you use your 5 senses?
Even if you only have time to post 1 sense, please do, but all 5 would be great.

My Examples:

Touch – I often (without realizing it) use my upper lip (mustache area) to sense the temperature of an object. I also use my upper lip to get a good sense of the smoothness of an object, leading to a few cuts under the nose.

Smell – I smell before thinking a lot. I was always the kid in science class that would fall victim to accidentally smelling the beaker of Ammonia, it’s quite a kick (always forgot to use my hand to “pull” the sent to me). Every time I see a car smoking in some way, I can’t help but take a sample of the air and try to guess on the engine issue. I can also easily follow a smell.

Sound – I use my sense of hearing a lot. Helps a lot to detect the faint pattern of a failing laptop hard drive, before the click of death starts. I love to focus on what I hear behind me, tracking all movement will great precision. When I drive, I usually have a window cracked or down all the way so I can be ready to hear danger. My sense of sound also plays tricks on me a lot. I can easily follow a sound.

Taste – I sometimes use taste in the world of solving computer issues. Some uses include licking batteries, pre-broadband sometimes I would lick telephone lines to see if they are live (it’s 48 volts DC it burns and smokes, and if it does your line is good lol). Sometimes that's what you had to do while troubleshooting a dial up issue.

Sight – Nothing special to note, the first 4 were easy to describe, but nothing I can think of stands out. I wear glasses because I’m near-sighted from sitting in front of computers since I was 10 years old.

I am interested to see what others post!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm gonna spoil your research project right off. I'm curious about how you and other Sensors use your senses compared to I, as an Intuitive, use mine.

Touch - The most common way I use touch is to diagnose a physical ailment in a human or animal body. I'm not in the medical/veterinarian field but I have a knack for picking up on issues like muscle damage, joint stress, headache, or other body pain. Each type of damage has a different feel. This is a conscious use and is why I will often touch someone I care about on the shoulders or upper back soon after seeing them.

Smell - About the only time I pay attention to scent is when it is unpleasant (the woman who passes you in the street shortly after bathing in something pungent) or when it evokes a memory. Sun-warmed grass will remind me of horseback riding through a hayfield; fresh baked bread of long winter afternoons spent baking alone with the house quiet and cozy from the oven; red wine and snuggling with someone special under a blanket watching a movie.

Sound - Extraordinary uses for sound are limited to music. I am also very attuned to certain sounds like my daughter's voice or my SO's footsteps but I think this has more to do with my relationship to them than with being an Intuitive or Sensor.

Taste - Mostly used for cooking and drinking. I can detect early stages of botulism (it's a sharp, lemony taste that bubbles on your tongue) but every other use of taste is pretty standard.

Sight - Again, often used for diagnosing physical ailments. I suck at reading body language as it pertains to emotions but can pick up the most finite movements that point to muscle or skeletal problems. I once diagnosed a joint misalignment in a horse I was unfamiliar with that the vet couldn't find. He kept poking at the hock with no response from the horse but I pressed into the tissue above the sacroiliac joint and the horse kicked out in pain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ChanceyRose Actually that's a great addition, thanks much! It will be interesting to see others data, and see what differences are noted between Intuitive and Sensing. Your description of touch is very interesting.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
As an intuitive, I enjoy reading this thread. It is amazing me so far... I seriously lack in this department, and didn't realize it till now...

Reactions: Yardiff Bey

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'll give this a shot but I'm not a very interesting sensor. Some intuitives are more observant than I am.

Touch: From day to day life I don't really use touch as a dominant sensor. However, I can't help but want to constantly feel something when I'm not doing something else with my hands. If I'm watching TV, talking on the phone, etc. I'm often playing with something like a rubber band found on the table. Same with my feet, though not to the same extent. Also, if the walls are particularly fascinating I might be tempted to feel them too. I was part of the first class to be in the new junior high and the people who built it decided to spend limited tax payer's money to make it far more extravagant than it needed to be. But the ridiculousness of this is not the point. Part of what they did was make the bottom half of some of the walls feel like the Cascade Mountains so while walking down the hall I would often feel the rocky plastic against my fingers. I realized that this was not a good habit and that nobody else was doing this so I made myself stop. Ditto with school lockers. The most recent experience with this is the walking bridge near my university. Sometimes I have to keep myself from feeling the rungs of the bridge walls.

Smell: When I smell something, I usually will associate it with a memory more than with what it actually could be. Bacon in the morning smells like my Grandma's house, the fallen leaves smells like Halloween despite it really being November, etc. This can become a big problem as a lot of things remind me of something burning. I had a couple scares with my dog's pee, (I didn't know male dog pee smelled that rancid, I'm used to girl dogs and he's housebroken so him peeing inside is unusual) and my roommate's chemicals that help develop film. Yeah, both of those smelled like something burning. As did the inside of a box that held a light. Not a light that was on mind you, this light needed batteries and the batteries weren't put in until it had been removed from the box obviously.

Sound: Again in day to day life sound is not a big deal in the sensory perception. I usually tune out most sound unless it is grating. However I'm a musician and in this area sound is very important. First off, I have an extremely good ear, I can tell if something is in/out of tune better than average. Also, my favorite music usually has challenging chords that I can hear.

Taste: As a picky eater, taste has never been my strong suit. Usually if it looks icky, than it'll taste icky. Which seems to be more of a mind thing than a taste thing. Yes, in the taste area if I was graded as a sensor, I would probably get an F.

Sight: I assume that my sight is my most observant sense. However, I'm not a very observant person so that's a moot point. Though in comparing sensors to intuitives, when my ISTJ mom, INFP dad, and I (obviously an ISTJ) went hiking, my dad was tripping much more than we were. Well so he says, I didn't actually notice him tripping. He said that it was because my mom and I have good balance (which is true) but my mom said that it was because she was looking down and noticing any unevenness in the trail. I might have been doing that too but I don't know if I would do that normally. When we went hiking that time, we took the dog and he's pretty short so while watching him I was looking down too.
My sight would probably be better if my eyes worked together. Often times one eye takes a break so I only use one eye. This makes my depth perception pretty bad.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Smell - tends to bring back long-ago moods and memories, generally from childhood. Cooking, grass, spring, the smell after rain, crisp autumn mornings, sea air, ozone from lightning storms, etc.

Sound - tends to bring moods, though my ears are damaged from too much use of a chainsaw without ear-protection (damn NZ for that!).

Taste - in certain types of alcohol (spirits) I associate with relaxing in front of a fire on a cold winter day, just chillin'.

Touch - sensuality (has to be with the right girl) and sensual memories.

Sight - nothing special, though reading a good book can very much invoke my imagination.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
My answers are pretty run-of-the-mill also, but I can only think of two examples right now:

Sound: All or nothing. What I mean by this is that my environment needs to be sound-free (i.e., no distractions) for me to really concentrate and chunk through work. The constant noise from the office next to me and the security officers in the corridor grates on my last nerve at times. Shutting the door is not an option. Additionally, although I have the often-envied "perk" of having a corner office on the ground floor, it's also adjacent to the main entrance of the courthouse. This means EVERYONE comes through the main doors which are right outside my window, and people are generally loud and it distracts me as well. Conversely, there are times that I need to have music blaring in my ears full-blast (when I'm doing laundry, etc.). I also need music at an ear-crushing volume if I've had a bad day and need to regain my equilibrium.

Sight: Normal uses; however, since I've started skating again, I watch for shadows and movement slightly behind and beside me on the floor. It's saved me from wrecking more than once. I also use sight to watch the crowd/herd ¼ to ½ a lap ahead of me in order to determine the best route to take through them when I catch up to the slower skaters. This works about 98% of the time; the rest of the time, I either have to do a hard hockey stop or I get taken out like I did last night (not because of a shortcoming on my part - the other person moved in an unpredictable way).

HTH

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sound: Used is when I'm cycling (even when i have music playing), so i can determine traffic approaching from behind me. Also used when i read books as i play music at the same time & also the same when i'm debugging some programming - I play music at a normal volume, I don't hear the music alot of the time as it becomes part of the background, but without it being there the same tasks can be harder.

Sight: Usually one of two things - 1, Unless i'm looking for details, i'm oblivious to everything. 2, if someone is talking to me or i'm thinking about something, i have to look at something plain (wall, floor) so i can concentrate on what's being said (or what i'm thinking about), rather than look at them directly because i find that distracting.

Touch: Usually when i'm deep in thought, i'll play with something innocuous like bouncing an eraser or tap my fingers on my desk. other than that nothing comes to mind.

Smell: Unless it's a strong familiar smell (cleaning chemical) or something that smells bad, i don't take much notice at all.

Taste: just the usual.

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
I'm sure @WamphyriThrall would appreciate this thread, too.

Touch: I like touching things. When I walk through a clothing store, I like to feel every fabric, even when I'm just walking by. I have the softest sweater in the world on now, it's amazing. I also have an amazingly soft body pillow and blankets. I noticed the other day when I was upset, just running my hand along my body pillow comforted me. I also like running my hand through my hair. :p I also think I'm pretty good at imagining certain feelings that I've felt before, like hugs and such. When I go into romantic memory mode, it can feel pretty real and intense.

Smell: I am a very olfactory person. I love smells. This might sound weird, but I always smelled my dog when I kissed her. (Even though I'm allergic! :shocked:) I also tend to smell my own hair a lot too. Of course like everyone else, some smells bring back memories. Usually it takes me a bit of backtracking to remember where the smell originated. I think I pick up on smells and store them in my database, so future smells I can compare with old ones. I also sometimes smell things that wouldn't logically be there sometimes... I don't know what that's about, but I feel like I can totally smell it.

Damn I sound weird. :laughing:

Sound: I don't really listen to music that much, except when I'm walking to class. I enjoy silence. I do rely on sound when walking and such, though, especially if I'm in a dangerous area. In those times, my eyes and ears are on high alert. I also realized I rely on sound when I am crossing the street (jaywalking). I have to be extra careful when listening to music, or else I almost die. :laughing:

Taste: I don't have picky tastes. The weirdest thing that happened involving taste was when I got a shot of epinephrine once and I could taste a metallic taste in my mouth shortly after. Stuff travels through the blood stream fast!

Sight: I have pretty good vision. I am usually oblivious, though, in my own little world. I am good at picking up on something that is out of place, though, or something in my environment that has changed.

·
Banned
5,815 Posts
Really, I'm pretty much oblivious to my surroundings heh. The only time I'm in tuned with my five senses is when I'm under the influence of alcohol, then everything is magnified and I become hyperaware of my surroundings (although my reactions are slower). Other than that, it's easy for me to knock my cups over, trip over things, and rip papers on accident without noticing until seconds later. That's one huge drawback to being an intuitive.

Hows that for engaging the Si/Se? ;)

Though, if I had to choose, I'd say I'm more visual than anything else. It's easy for me to read something and immediately paint a mental picture of it in my head, with some degree of accuracy. I'm also constantly scanning my surroundings to get a "feel" of the area or context. Another thing, when I was younger I would stare at patterns on our marble shower and start seeing images, for instance, a wolf or a ghost wearing a dress. The only other person that caught on to this was my INTP younger brother, but only after I had shared this information with him.

Everything else is just average. With taste, it's not usually the taste itself that turns me off, but I'll usually have some mental error with the food (it's rotten) and that will ruin everything. Sound for the most part I can tune out, although I have mild OCD and some things really screw me over, making concentrating on anything else impossible. Smell, I can notice for a few seconds, then tune out again, unless it's a lingering stench or something strong, making it more difficult to ignore. Touch, I don't really notice much unless I'm in pain or startled.

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm basically oblivious to a lot of things and it's usually my ISTJ who notices stuff. Like people who wear sunglasses inside brightly-lit malls, which to him is just ridiculous. And I usually trip a lot while walking, especially when it's raining at night, and he's the one who tells me where the puddles are.

I don't know how he remembers sensory information like touch or taste, but when I try to recall how a touch felt like or how something I ate tasted, I can't fully remember it as well as he does. It's like I remember what happened but I can't remember how it felt like (in terms of touch or taste). I remember things he told me or what he did before better than he can though, and I can repeat it back to him word for word, but only when it's significant to me.

Reactions: jdog

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Another thing, when I was younger I would stare at patterns on our marble shower and start seeing images, for instance, a wolf or a ghost wearing a dress. The only other person that caught on to this was my INTP younger brother, but only after I had shared this information with him.
And this is why you're an intuitive! Sensors see what's there, iNtuitives see what could be there. Sensors would probably notice the water stains on the marble, and realize they need cleaning. :tongue:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Touch: I once lived in a 4 story apartment. I lived on the bottom floor, but had to move up one floor because the owners were retiring and wanted to move back in. The craziest thing is that the floor plans of both floors were the same, but the kitchen light in the new apartment was 1 inch higher than in the lower floor. I never look at the light panel to turn on a light because I'm familiar with where it is, but in this case there was a tiny change and I noticed it.

Sound: I've been involved in music for at least 12 years of my life and every time I hear a poorly sung note I cringe. Either because it's offkey or I can pick out something wrong with it. Unharmonized sounds make me really upset.

Taste: Kind of tied in with smell, I can tell when something has gone bad really early on. Some might say I'm just crazy, but I just don't eat something if it smells like it's rotting.

Smell: I know what people's perfume/cologne's are, I usually take a sniff when they are 1 yard near me. I love the simple perfumes/colognes, floral/complicated ones make me sneeze.

Sight: I don't turn on the lights when walking in my own home, I've pretty much memorized where everything is. I tend to notice text where there's either 1 or 2 spaces after a period.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
And this is why you're an intuitive! Sensors see what's there, iNtuitives see what could be there. Sensors would probably notice the water stains on the marble, and realize they need cleaning. :tongue:
I dunno ... I've done this and am guilty as charged.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I see dead people...

Seriously though, I've always been confused by this in terms of MBTI. Everyone uses their senses, and everyone has heightened senses in certain situations or due to certain stimuli simply because it is a survival instinct. A lot of specific sensory quirks are more as a result of environment than anything else, in my opinion.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm a mechanic and I work with a istj. I've noticed a few differences in the way we do things. When checking to see if a tire is directional he is more comfortable looking on the side wall for tire information, I look at the tread design. He is much better at pinpointing the location of clunks when taking a road test.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hearing: For me its best used when another sense fails me. For example when I can't find a coworker of mine(she is rather short) I listen for rustling... kind of seems like I'm hunting them down like a wild animal.

Sight: I take it in and soak up all the data like a computer. That said I've learned to unfocus my vision... nature looks nicer with a wide angle lense.

Smell: Pretty much just data intake and tracking stuff down. Athough on occasion I'll be reminded of something... usually to not eat the mushrooms I was about to. After you get hives and botulism from eating them your brain just says NO.

Taste: This one is more about pleasure and memory. A while back I had a craving for liver, once I had a bite I realized I had eaten it once before as a kid. Also I remembered what else we had to eat, the way the room looked, and about everything else like a snapshot.

Touch: How I interact with my world the most. Basically if I'm curious I'll "poke it with a stick" and what not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts