Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

It could just me being too analytical or whatever, but something just tells me that something isn't really right with my typing. Even though INTP sounds close enough, I don't know...it's not wanting to stick and I have no idea why. So, that's why I've come here! So, you wonderful sages of MBTI, lets begin. I hope the Syrup is maple. And from Vermont.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind. I am only 16, so my personality I suppose is in flux. I am a male who is quite happy with life for the most part. It's not diagnosed, but my mom (who works as a SLP) strongly thinks that I am an Aspie. Whether that is true or not is really beyond my knowledge.

2. Study these two images here http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6005/6004664548_32c083ea9f_m.jpg and here http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7704380682_4da6df716d.jpg. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it? By far the second one. It is more, atmospheric in nature. Has a mystical, soothing undertone in it that sparks my imagination. The second one is well, some pastries with a girl in a floral dress. Its just kinda bland for me, nothing is really there.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why? (I'll just describe myself if you don't mind) I tend to be very independent and rational in spirit, yet regardless I am bound to a sense of utmost sympathy with people, almost to a fault. I tend to be a bit of a recluse when I am tired (which is quite often) but it's not too hard to get me out of my shell when you nudge me around a bit. Even then, I'm still probably not going to be all flashy, but still gregarious and quite confident in myself. I have a strong sense of honor and internal duty that I have with in my self. I hate it when I have to do something that goes against it. When I do, I can beat myself up for it. I am also quite laid-back and calm. Too many times people asked me "Are you high right now?" I can also be a bit silly and clownish, many of whom find me to be a riot when that side of me comes out. Finally, I can get very absentminded, almost to the point where it externally translates to laziness, but it's just that I can't zero in on certain things. I can be quite diligent when I can focus.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why? I would like to be the best person I can be. I want to be friendly, stay true to who I am and not corrode myself to low standards. I want to set priories and goals more often, hopefully without becoming some stiff-neck. Finally, I would like to show my enthusiasm for things. It's not that I don't have it, but it likes to stay inside me, and not the outside world. Thus I can come off as deadpan at times (which I can be on a lot of days.) I wouldn't like being a pushy, arrogant asshole. Even If I tried to be one, I would doubt too many things to stick with the shtick. Finally, I hate the idea of being "innocent" in life. Innocence to me translates to stupidity, ignorance, weakness and being too conforming. AKA, Sansa Stark. (I've only seen the first episode of season two and back, so no spoliers please!) I would hate to even act like her.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is? In my school, I am very quiet. This is mainly because of biases that has lingered throughout middle school, when I went though a depressive/weird phase. It's gone now, and I can actually be very talkative, when the topic suits me. Also, I think people mistake me for being a doormat, and that's just because a lot of things I just don't care to argue about. However, If you ever cross that line, be prepared to defend yourself from a verbal mauling. I can verbally spar quite well, minus if you hover over me and disrupt my train of thought. Or just being a dumbass in general, for that matter.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2. Self Integrity, Accuracy, Sovereignty, Amiability, My thoughts, Intelligence.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it? I keep asking myself "Whats going to happen? What does this mean for me?" My head just rushes with the idea, analyzing it and mulling over whats happening. Externally though, I tend to give a very "Eh, whatever" sort of mood.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome. My train of thought breaks down, I can't really speak all that well, Wanting to be alone, not wanting to act on the situation as I don't want to make it any more stressful, or I might be self-convinced to go and do what I wanted to do, especially if out of a deal or dealing with my integrity.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome. Very laid back, non-intrusive yet open, open to new experiences (as long as you don't force me, and I'm in the mood) and a sense of dovish tranquility and thoughtfulness.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction? One-on-one all the way, I can focus on that one individual, instead of juggling what everyone is saying, and trying to listen to everyone with a true sense of going deep on what were going into. I try to speak, but someone else jumps in instead, because I thought about the words for too long to process what I wanted to say.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole? I actually feel a lot for people. Everyone has a story, and trying to judge someone just by what they show on the surface is both ignorant and insensitive. Social norms can be absolutely ridiculous at times, however, and when I need to tell someone how it is, I just have to tell them (with tact, however. I hate when people are just like "This is how it is, shut up and get over it, pansy.") I tend to not follow traditions If I believe they don't make any sense, I can still go with them if its not a big deal. I tend to have a bittersweet feeling towards humanity in general. Such naivety, not taking advantage about the life they have been given in a fulfilling way, and it's disheartening. This song pretty much explains a good portion of what im talking about.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it? Blegh. No gods, no masters I say! No slavers nor slaves! Freedom for everyone! ANARCHY BABY! WHOOO! In all honesty though, I don't mind authority when they make sense and not too invasive. When they get invasive and they start to act mad, and selfish, I feel like I have a duty to other people in the authority to represent them.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life? Rather irrelevant. I'm a leaf in the wind. What ever happens to me, happens. Order doesn't bother me, neither do chaos. It all depends on what the order/chaos brings.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act? Going against myself, being an asshole for no good reason, being a dictator, not being open-minded. I also don't like being accurate with my thoughts and choices. That hurts.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by? Really, just to be peaceful. I live a very content life right now. Right now, I just want to go to university, get my career, maybe find a significant other and just live the life I'm going to live. I would love to travel, however. I think that It just stems from the fact that I am very happy right now, I'm going to love university I believe and I'm not really that much of a planner. I'm a very simple person when it comes to needs.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why? Thinking/talking about subjects that interest me can do the trick. I also love listening to music and generally learning, or expanding my mind in some way, shape or form. What I don't like is too much socialization, disruption of my aloofness and peace, and staying up typing about what type I am on a borderline psuedoscientific typology system.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well. Mainly for shits'n'giggles, but I also do think that It can reflect me, in someways. I hardly socialize, if ever, so I hardly get any external reverb for who I am. I somewhat think that I am a 9w1, but I couldn't really get any replies on the Enneagram "Whats my personality type?" subfourm, so blegh. I pretty sure im a RCUAI on the SLOAN test as well, but that was a long time ago.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you? I'm a Ravenclaw :D.

That's about it. I'm really tired so I won't read any replies until the morning, or maybe even longer. I might add a video to me too, eventually. Can't wait to hear from everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's the most amazing thread title I've ever seen. After reading your responses (with the caveat that I'm learning all this just as you are), here are the themes I see:

Introversion with a capital I (one-on-one, lots of alone time, need to recharge, too much social time is draining...); imagination; some degree of depression or dissatisfaction but probably more out of deeper feeling than ennui or apathy; independence; and you did express your feelings with music at one point after stating the limitations of words ;)

Hope that helps a bit. I'm really just mirroring what I see here. Maybe have a look at an ISFP profile and see if any of that resonates. hxxps://www(dot)personalitypage(dot)com/ISFP(dot)html

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
I love waffles. You have my attention.

But why couldn't you separate your answers from the questions?

I'll get through your post... soon...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the most amazing thread title I've ever seen. After reading your responses (with the caveat that I'm learning all this just as you are), here are the themes I see:

Introversion with a capital I (one-on-one, lots of alone time, need to recharge, too much social time is draining...); imagination; some degree of depression or dissatisfaction but probably more out of deeper feeling than ennui or apathy; independence; and you did express your feelings with music at one point after stating the limitations of words ;)

Hope that helps a bit. I'm really just mirroring what I see here. Maybe have a look at an ISFP profile and see if any of that resonates. hxxps://www(dot)personalitypage(dot)com/ISFP(dot)html
Hi and thanks for looking at this! Anywhom, I am extremely introverted in the traditional sense, no doubt about it. I do have some dissatisfaction in my current position in life, but it's nothing I would consider depression, nor do I consider it to last much longer. Here is a post that explains it in detail http://personalitycafe.com/advice-center/527818-disheartened-my-lot-life-moment.html#post16848818 . I used that song as well because it gave a good grasp on what I see with people, something I don't like.

ISFP? Interesting. I consider myself to be a strong intuitive as well, but perhaps not as strong as my (again, traditionally defined) introversion. I don't quite think I'm an ISFP, or at least in the traditional definition. The link you posted has a few similarities, such as a tend to be polite and being content, as well as taking life seriously. But, my senses are utterly butchered in terms of recognizing them. I'm more likely to not eat foods due to texture than taste, I don't notice and can't feel if a collar is scrunched up or if my shirt is bundled up in my pants or some backpack. Finally, I don't see myself as an artist. I can be very imaginative and have great insight on what would look good, but I don't have any artistic skill, and I tend to overshoot with artistic projects.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hey,

I knew I remembered one of your posts somewhere--the INTP stereotypes thread.

Reading your full answers, I'm actually seeing a heck of a lot more Fi-Te than Ti-Fe. For example:

I actually feel a lot for people. Everyone has a story, and trying to judge someone just by what they show on the surface is both ignorant and insensitive.
Going against myself, being an asshole for no good reason, being a dictator, not being open-minded. I also don't like being accurate with my thoughts and choices. That hurts.
The themes in your answers are strongly Fi: authenticity, self-control, no illusions about your own/human nature, individuality/uniqueness of each individual.

Your weaknesses are characteristic of inferior Te: (mis-)universalization/objectivization of principle, over-generalizing in order to demonstrate logical flaws.

Perception is clearly Si-Ne in some order. There's too much self-reflection and perspectivization for me to be comfortable with an SP typing. More than enough irony to suggest strong Ne use.

I think INFP is most likely. And you're right about enneagram 9w1 (my best friend at work is an INFP 9w1 too). INFPs mistyping as INTP is surprisingly common (and vice-versa)--in my experience, Ji-dominants often struggle to differentiate Fi and Ti, because they're both subjective, "just so" functions. Further, Fe and Te are the stereotypical manners of Feeling and Thinking (respectively) and of course, IPs use the wrong one and weakly at that. So you get INTPs going, "but I do sympathize! I care what others think, no matter how much I try to get the best answer" and INFPs going, "I'm logical! I need evidence, no matter how much I value something."

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,

I knew I remembered one of your posts somewhere--the INTP stereotypes thread.

Reading your full answers, I'm actually seeing a heck of a lot more Fi-Te than Ti-Fe. For example:

The themes in your answers are strongly Fi: authenticity, self-control, no illusions about your own/human nature, individuality/uniqueness of each individual.

Your weaknesses are characteristic of inferior Te: (mis-)universalization/objectivization of principle, over-generalizing in order to demonstrate logical flaws.

Perception is clearly Si-Ne in some order. There's too much self-reflection and perspectivization for me to be comfortable with an SP typing. More than enough irony to suggest strong Ne use.

I think INFP is most likely. And you're right about enneagram 9w1 (my best friend at work is an INFP 9w1 too). INFPs mistyping as INTP is surprisingly common (and vice-versa)--in my experience, Ji-dominants often struggle to differentiate Fi and Ti, because they're both subjective, "just so" functions. Further, Fe and Te are the stereotypical manners of Feeling and Thinking (respectively) and of course, IPs use the wrong one and weakly at that. So you get INTPs going, "but I do sympathize! I care what others think, no matter how much I try to get the best answer" and INFPs going, "I'm logical! I need evidence, no matter how much I value something."
Hey and thanks.

First off, I want to point out a typo, I meant inaccurate, not accurate on the second replied post.

I think I like the idea of INFP more than ISFP. It makes a lot more sense. I also do not doubt using Ne/Si in either order. But I have a problem with Fi, it seems...mushy. I'm not a cryer at all, and I hate it when people get all mopey. Is there a possibility that my strive for authenticity be from logical structure rather than emotional?

I also hate subjectivity. Being neutral about things until I can work out what's happening is something that I do quite often. I hate it when people just choose a side, or stick to doing something even if it is going to fail, or if the end doesn't justify the means. Objectivity, love it. However, I still could VERY well be an INFP, so I'll continue on with this thought.

One final thing. You seem very sure of me being a 9w1, am I really that much of a textbook 9w1? Just curious.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Hey and thanks.

First off, I want to point out a typo, I meant inaccurate, not accurate on the second replied post.

I think I like the idea of INFP more than ISFP. It makes a lot more sense. I also do not doubt using Ne/Si in either order. But I have a problem with Fi, it seems...mushy. I'm not a cryer at all, and I hate it when people get all mopey. Is there a possibility that my strive for authenticity be from logical structure rather than emotional?

I also hate subjectivity. Being neutral about things until I can work out what's happening is something that I do quite often. I hate it when people just choose a side, or stick to doing something even if it is going to fail, or if the end doesn't justify the means. Objectivity, love it. However, I still could VERY well be an INFP, so I'll continue on with this thought.

One final thing. You seem very sure of me being a 9w1, am I really that much of a textbook 9w1? Just curious.
Fi isn't about crying or being mopey. INFPs can be very aloof.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fi isn't about crying or being mopey. INFPs can be very aloof.
I did word that a bit harshly, didn't I? My apologies.

What I meant was that I dont really take things personally. If you insult me, I'll just shrug it off. Hell, might just find it to be funny if it is. Two people typed as INFPs that I know get very offended very quickly. I'm just in a whatever kind of mood when someone tries to offend me. I know who I am, you don't. End of story.

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
I did word that a bit harshly, didn't I? My apologies.

What I meant was that I dont really take things personally. If you insult me, I'll just shrug it off. Hell, might just find it to be funny if it is. Two people typed as INFPs that I know get very offended very quickly. I'm just in a whatever kind of mood when someone tries to offend me. I know who I am, you don't. End of story.
Anecdotes, anecdotes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not relying on (limited) personal experience to make a judgment.
I see. It makes sense. Maybe I'm confusing objectivity with being impartial vs subjectivity being more partisan. I thought the former and objectivity means the same thing? Besides, the two INFPs I know I know very well, and I'm aware about others not fitting into the stereotype.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@WaffleSingSong

You're a hardcore INFP...

Fi can look like Ti at times, since both are internal logical judgement processes. However, whereas Fi is focused on the subjective value-based decisions, Ti is focused on pure objectivity.

It's pretty evident that you use Fi/Te not Ti/Fe, as what @shinynotshiny said, your using a subjective value-based logic.

Also, not to mention, you act like an INFP.

Oh and p.s., be warned about being typed at this age. I'm about your age and it's hard for people like us in this age range to be typed correctly because of adolescent mind fluxes.

Reactions: Immolate

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@WaffleSingSong

You're a hardcore INFP...
Willing to give your opinions? People have said that I'm also a hardcore INTP as well. I'm not saying they're right, but I have heard the opposite opinion as well as others who staunchly believe that opinion here http://personalitycafe.com/intp-for...-intp-but-i-want-talk-you-guys-make-sure.html I was quite new to MBTI at the time, so note that I have learned a lot from then. It was also a little while back, so that could be a problem.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Willing to give your opinions? People have said that I'm also a hardcore INTP as well. I'm not saying they're right, but I have heard the opposite opinion as well as others who staunchly believe that opinion here http://personalitycafe.com/intp-for...-intp-but-i-want-talk-you-guys-make-sure.html I was quite new to MBTI at the time, so note that I have learned a lot from then. It was also a little while back, so that could be a problem.
I actually looked through that before one time. ^^

Alright, I see what they're saying. But, the answers you have given to had a very subjective focus.

INTP is a possibility, but however that Ti and Fi are look-a-like functions and very easily mismatched, especially from external observers.

I have some questions for you. I used them on someone else who was confused on whether they were a Ti or Fi dom.

If you do not mind answering them, that would be wonderful. I'm looking more for the reasoning behind the answers as opposed to the answers themselves, so please elaborate.

-----------------------

- What is your opinion on authority? Does it bother you? If so, why?

- What is your goal in life? What is the most important thing one can achieve? Why?

- What type of people bother you the most? Why?

- What is the most embarrassing thing that could happen to you? Why?

- Is it more enjoyable for you to be harmonizing or to be honest? Why?

- What is a fault of yours you really, truly, dislike?

- Emotions, what do you think of them. Why?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@TelepathicGoose
- What is your opinion on authority? Does it bother you? If so, why? Authority is something I don't mind until I think that said authority doesn't make any sense, such as being too overbearing or draconian in nature. Which then I will point out those flaws, tactfully but truthfully and show the reasoning why. Authority isn't bad nor good, wrong nor right on its own accord. it's merely how the authority presents itself.

- What is your goal in life? What is the most important thing one can achieve? Why? I guess just to be knowledgable and at peace. And not being innocent, for reasons described previously.

- What type of people bother you the most? Why? Ignorant, naive people can do it for me. They see something clear as crystal, but they still stick their head up their ass and choose to ignore it. I try to understand where they are coming from, but finding a solution why seems impossible.

- What is the most embarrassing thing that could happen to you? Why? Missing some piece of information that I could of easily picked up in all kinds of information. That can irritate me. In all actuality, I really don't get all too embarrassed.

- Is it more enjoyable for you to be harmonizing or to be honest? Why? When coming to other people, even if I might not like it, I don't mind amending a few things if I don't believe it's a big deal, and it makes sense, which is often. When I have to get in the mix, that's a tad different as I can never do anything without question, and I do have a line, but I don't think I've crossed it too often if at all.

- What is a fault of yours you really, truly, dislike? Is it haughty to say that this is hard to answer? Well, I tend to not like that I can't stick with things, like projects, a video game or a book, etc, etc.

- Emotions, what do you think of them. Why? Don't get me wrong, I understand them, and I like the fact that I have them as you can't really be human without them, The problem is that they get in the way of impartiality and you become narrow-minded. Being fair is very important, in my opinion as there is more of a sense of justice when fairness is used instead of the opposite.

So?

·
Banned
8,898 Posts
Jung on introverted feeling:

It is principally among women that I have found the priority of introverted feeling. The proverb 'Still waters run deep' is very true of such women. They are mostly silent, inaccessible, and hard to understand; often they hide behind a childish or banal mask, and not infrequently their temperament is melancholic. They neither shine nor reveal themselves. Since they submit the control of their lives to their subjectively orientated feeling, their true motives generally remain concealed. Their outward demeanour is harmonious and inconspicuous; they reveal a delightful repose, a sympathetic parallelism, which has no desire to affect others, either to impress, influence, or change them in any way. Should this outer side be somewhat emphasized, a suspicion of neglectfulness and coldness may easily obtrude itself, which not seldom increases to a real indifference for the comfort and well-being of others.

[...]

A superficial judgment might well be betrayed, by a rather cold and reserved demeanour, into denying all feeling to this type. Such a view, however, would be quite false; the truth is, her feelings are intensive rather than extensive. They develop into the depth. Whereas, for instance, an extensive feeling of sympathy can express itself in both word and deed at the right place, thus quickly ridding itself of its impression, an intensive sympathy, because shut off from every means of expression, gains a passionate depth that embraces the misery of a world and is simply benumbed. It may possibly make an extravagant irruption, leading to some staggering act of an almost heroic character, to which, however, neither the object nor [p. 494] the subject can find a right relation. To the outer world, or to the blind eyes of the extravert, this sympathy looks like coldness, for it does nothing visibly, and an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
Hmm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts