Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading a blog on xanga, and someone claims that the average attractive woman gets asked out 20x a day. Whaat?!?

I'm quite overweight, but not terrible looking, but since I turned 11, I've probably been asked out less than 8 times in my entire life. I don't think anyone has asked me out in the last six years.

Is this person wildly exaggerating, or would you say its a common occurance for you?

(surely I'm not THAT ugly?!)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think it's probably an exaggeration. There's a lot more to whether someone gets asked out than simply looks. Looks + standoffish, cold personality =/= 20+ potential dates/day. Looks + introversion =/= 20+ dates/day. I literally have a friend who is a complete knock out (she actually is a model) and even she doesn't get asked out 20x/day on average. She gets hit on at the bar a lot (at least that often and probably more) but a lot of her time is spent outside of watering hole type places like that. I don't doubt that she gets asked out more than I do, but I still am fairly certain that she doesn't fight off 20 people/day.

Just in case that's she's too attractive to be considered approachable, I'll also mention that most of my female friends are averagely/conventionally attractive and they don't get asked out that often either :tongue:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm going to approach this question from the opposite angle: Does the average attractive guy hit on 20 girls a day? If so, then there's your answer. If not, then who is asking out all these girls? Personally, I don't think the average attractive and single guy hits on 20 girls a day.

I should explain my bias though, because I consider myself an attractive guy and I hit on an average of zero girls a day (excluding a weekly night out at bars with friends, but even there I only approach a few girls at most because I'm not looking for a one night hookup). Hmm, now I'm curious how often attractive guys hit on girls, I'm starting to wonder if I'm on the low end of that spectrum or not.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
You'd think that looks are proportional to attractiveness to be asked out, but they aren't.

It's behavior that is proportional to attractiveness to be asked out. Being beautiful helps, but it's not that important.

It's the same for men, but with men it's status that is the main reason for attractiveness, not looks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
20 times a day?! Egad! I don't know any women with the time to fend off 20 suitors a day. I think I've been asked out all of 4 times in my life (though I must admit, I never really kept track of this). So, I'm pretty much 25, asked out about 4 times: so, once every 6 and a quarter years is my average. :wink:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't think a girl has ever asked me out:( epic fail. Girls have accepted, but that's the best I've gotten so far. Girls rarely come on to me, I ALWAYS HAVE TO DO THE WORK, well most of it I guess. As for hot girls getting approached 20+ times a day? Ask them where their sources came from, I'd say 10 at most for any girl to be perfectly honest. Maybe more if guys are being really indirect and don't end up seeming at all like they are trying to pick up said girl

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
20 times a day? No. I'm young but I've been asked many times, most of times I've rejected them because they were after me just for my looks, which I definitely dislike.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm reading a blog on xanga, and someone claims that the average attractive woman gets asked out 20x a day. Whaat?!?

I'm quite overweight, but not terrible looking, but since I turned 11, I've probably been asked out less than 8 times in my entire life. I don't think anyone has asked me out in the last six years.

Is this person wildly exaggerating, or would you say its a common occurance for you?

(surely I'm not THAT ugly?!)
You aren't ugly, and I haven't known a single girl through out my entire life that has ever been asked out even 25% of that number in a single day.

That number is obviously made up. Maybe they meant two times a day? I could potentially believe that.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Is street harassment considered being asked out? No way is 20 times a day accurate even then, but I could see ten times a day not being far off in areas where street harassment is common.

Maybe if a woman lived in an area with lots of street harassment and was very active on a dating site, twenty times a day would make sense.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
definitely false, only on a day when a highly attractive woman is an a place full of men. This type of woman in general is likely to be hit on a few times a week though I'd say. Either that or every guy is too afraid. I mean, I'm pretty shy around some really good looking women, but I've still hit on them sometimes. And if I'm shy imagine all the other people who aren't. I've seen a woman get hit on twice at a cafe once. It was really interesting. When I'm with my sister men will treat her differently since she's good looking. I can tell. I don't think she can though. But it's not to the point where they're actually asking her out. She just thinks they're being friendly.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Prime example of why we shouldn't believe everything we read :) This isn't realistic. Maybe this article was taken from a Hollywood perspective, because on average men don't behave this way, methinks .

1 - 20 of 51 Posts