Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, I'm not sure it will be coming to a theater near me. I can't wait to view it. This is a subject that has chapped my hide for a long time.

I don't understand how our country's education system could produce some of the smartest people in the world a generation or two ago, on less money I might add, and then start failing our kids consistently across the board.

Reactions: Jojo

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I haven't heard about it, but it looks very interesting! I might check this out, thanks for the tip.

When I first saw the title, I thought it might be based on this: :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The school system isn't the only thing that's causing the country to be come dumber and less literate, it's the whole country's attitude towards education as a whole. Anti-intellectualism is extremely rampant in the US, it would not surprise me if in two or three generations we would be hearing the phrase "Readings is for *******" being thrown around casually in the streets. I suggest you all see the movie Idiocracy, it's a documentary on the future.

Reactions: Jojo and GiGi

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The school system isn't the only thing that's causing the country to be come dumber and less literate, it's the whole country's attitude towards education as a whole. Anti-intellectualism is extremely rampant in the US, it would not surprise me if in two or three generations we would be hearing the phrase "Readings is for *******" being thrown around casually in the streets. I suggest you all see the movie Idiocracy, it's a documentary on the future.
I agree with you and my beloved "generation x-ers" did not help matters when we grew up. I can't believe how many people I know who act like picking up a book or researching a topic on line might cause them a rash or worse. It's hard to have a conversation with someone, about an important topic, when that person refuses to at least educate themselves on the topic. They don't even have to hold the same view as you, just come to the table with some knowledge of what you are taking a stand on.

What do you think it will take to get this country back on track educationally? I'm not sure there is an easy fix answer. Until recently, it appeared that there was no shame in providing a half-ass educational system to kids and there was no shame in being a kid that wanted to stay in the dark.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you and my beloved "generation x-ers" did not help matters when we grew up. I can't believe how many people I know who act like picking up a book or researching a topic on line might cause them a rash or worse. It's hard to have a conversation with someone, about an important topic, when that person refuses to at least educate themselves on the topic. They don't even have to hold the same view as you, just come to the table with some knowledge of what you are taking a stand on.

What do you think it will take to get this country back on track educationally? I'm not sure there is an easy fix answer. Until recently, it appeared that there was no shame in providing a half-ass educational system to kids and there was no shame in being a kid that wanted to stay in the dark.
I will say this even though it is controversial. Sports teams need out of the education system and schools. We have become transfixed on High School Football and the revenue it generates. I love sports but it is a want not a need. We need to teach life skills. We are so lazy we have expected things to been given to us. We have been concerned about the wrongs things.

Idiocracy even though a Mockumentary it seems almost prophetic.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I will say this even though it is controversial. Sports teams need out of the education system and schools. We have become transfixed on High School Football and the revenue it generates. I love sports but it is a want not a need. We need to teach life skills. We are so lazy we have expected things to been given to us. We have been concerned about the wrongs things.

Idiocracy even though a Mockumentary it seems almost prophetic.
Once again I bow to your insight. Do you know that most schools do not allow money gained at a football game to be used for anything but supporting that sport in the school? There are more parents involved in being there for every sporting event and activity but the majority of them aren't on top of their kids academics.

I believe sports and physical activities are important so I wouldn't say they should be eliminated altogether but it does need to take a back seat to academics. When an athlete had to earn a 2.5 GPA to remain in sports most kids didn't sweat it. If they weren't doing good either the teacher would go ahead and pass them, their parent would complain to the school and get it changed or even the coach would press a gade change depending on how important the kid is to the team.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can't fix the country's education system, America is a sinking ship. The current system doesn't need to be reformed it needs to be done away with entirely and the nations attitude towards learning should be changed but both are completely impossible. It would take an enormous catastrophe to make noticeable changes in the school system. As of now schools are too deeply rooted in bureaucracy with many private organizations profiting from the current inept system that we can see this pattern of anti-intellectualism in society well into the next century.

Reactions: GiGi

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't fix the country's education system, America is a sinking ship. The current system doesn't need to be reformed it needs to be done away with entirely and the nations attitude towards learning should be changed but both are completely impossible. It would take an enormous catastrophe to make noticeable changes in the school system. As of now schools are too deeply rooted in bureaucracy with many private organizations profiting from the current inept system that we can see this pattern of anti-intellectualism in society well into the next century.
One other issue I have is school fundraisers. Why do I have to buy crappy products from companies basically using children their hook. I think it is atrociuous.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I want to see this so bad, and I want to show it to everyone I know.

Plus, John Legend & The Roots are in the soundtrack as well :D

But yeah.. America's education system is messeeedddddddd upppppp. I hate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts