Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you have plans and are waiting... I personally get very aggravated. I can't help it. I feel like everything is going to shit when people don't follow directives. How do you curb this sort of a activity? All I know what to do is freaking bark at them...? I'm in a bind! WTF? Do people really think that this is all fun and games?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
When you have plans and are waiting... I personally get very aggravated. I can't help it. I feel like everything is going to shit when people don't follow directives. How do you curb this sort of a activity? All I know what to do is freaking bark at them...? I'm in a bind! WTF? Do people really think that this is all fun and games?
I get aggravated when waiting because its like you have time that has no productive value.
...but I don't understand how you associate this with 'people not following directives', is this a seperate anxiety?

Reactions: userslon

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Ummm, I'm guilty of this sometimes, but I have an explanation...

If you are referring to plans like going out for the night, I personally don't like it to be completely planned. I prefer more of a "see what we want to do as the night goes on" kind of attitude because I do enjoy some innocent spontaneity from time to time. I have never really thought about it as making a planner "wait", definitely not my intentions, but I appreciate seeing that now. Maybe the person you are waiting on, likes evenings out to be more spontaneous and he/she isn't maliciously making you wait? Usually I know ahead of time what date, time and place we are meeting at, but anything after that I tend to play by ear; of course I do plan ahead if I need to, like making reservations, or buying tickets in advance, or if it's a special occasion.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Take in every personalitytype of your group. If you have a group that is mainly SJ, then you can give them directives they will follow. If you have SP's, only give them a goal with borders (not to tight) and keep your eyes open to give feedback when they ask for it. If you have NT's give the goal and source of information where to find. NF's tend to lose their focus, keep them focused by giving them a goal and then keeping them on track saying that in a calm manner (they are conflictavoidant too).

So: invest in the different personality types and their attitudes. Learn how they tend to react and you have your way.

Reactions: -Halo- and userslon

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This is a beginner's mistake. I had the same issue.

Manage the PROCESS. Don't manage people.

People are like cats, they are unpredictable and don't always do what you want them to do. You need to build a structure that makes them do what you want them to do.

Want someone to do something by Friday? If you bark at them Monday-Friday, it might not get done. Instead, devise a strategy so that they have more incentive/motivation to do it. Have them run a daily meeting to go over the status. Have them give you a mock presentation Thursday.

I know these might not be applicable examples, but you get the idea. Try to view it from that perspective of devising a way to promote progress and see if there is anything you can do.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could delete this thread. But screw it, maybe I can touch base. I guess I feel that if people stick to the plan things will get done. I don't want to micro manage them. I don't want to deal with overseeing shit. I think I am dealing with people who have poor comprehension in terms of understanding what I consider to be simple concepts. I'm so freaking pissed right now.

I am a district manager of a group of restaurants. I am trying to coordinate them to similar ideas. Each store wants to do its own thing according to how it deals with each particular region and demographic of people who they service.

Fine whatever. My issue lies in that each restaurant is straying too far from a unified concept of intended service. I am having a hard time giving people the same thing from place to place. They want the same thing everywhere they go. Since I was given this position our sales have apperently gone back up to where they where in 08. Sales have doubled. I want to buy stock to show I am invested. But I am not invested on a personal level. The only way I would be happy is if all stores where invested in my unified vision. I have to sell the same product and service in every location. I am having a hard time fulfillng everybodies wants.

I don't understand why I have made sales go up but at the same time I have double the problems.
I am blaiming the situation on people not following directives as given. I need to find a person who can deal with the minutia of this. I'm only one fucking person.

Fml.

Sorry if this is hard to follow... I am typing this from my phone.

·
Banned
554 Posts
I don't like waiting. When I have a plan, I am determined to jumpstarted and get things rolling.

·
Banned
554 Posts
@Soured Lie.

I can share your frustrations. It's incomprehensive that people have a hard time following through with concrete plans. I really share your frustration. You're not wrong to catechize what is happening.

Can you hire competent people?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Figure out why they aren't listening to you. There may be a good reason, there may not, but I know I've got issues with directives from above if they don't take into account core knowledge from my level, and I actually will disobey orders to get the job done right.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
I wish I could delete this thread. But screw it, maybe I can touch base. I guess I feel that if people stick to the plan things will get done. I don't want to micro manage them. I don't want to deal with overseeing shit. I think I am dealing with people who have poor comprehension in terms of understanding what I consider to be simple concepts. I'm so freaking pissed right now.

I am a district manager of a group of restaurants. I am trying to coordinate them to similar ideas. Each store wants to do its own thing according to how it deals with each particular region and demographic of people who they service.

Fine whatever. My issue lies in that each restaurant is straying too far from a unified concept of intended service. I am having a hard time giving people the same thing from place to place. They want the same thing everywhere they go. Since I was given this position our sales have apperently gone back up to where they where in 08. Sales have doubled. I want to buy stock to show I am invested. But I am not invested on a personal level. The only way I would be happy is if all stores where invested in my unified vision. I have to sell the same product and service in every location. I am having a hard time fulfillng everybodies wants.

I don't understand why I have made sales go up but at the same time I have double the problems.
I am blaiming the situation on people not following directives as given. I need to find a person who can deal with the minutia of this. I'm only one fucking person.

Fml.

Sounds like you are asking the wrong people why your employees aren't listening.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts

Fml.

It sounds like you already know what to do but what exactly is the problem? At any rate, good luck as managing a bunch of people who aren't always willing to go along with your plans is a huge PITA. Plus you're probably working with a bunch of SPs so it's probably like trying to herd a pack of cats.

Reactions: -Halo-

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That's a great commercial. Seems like such a long time ago.
Yes, there we were experimenting with animals. Now we do this with humans.

Reactions: MNiS
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.