Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually the first post I have ever written on an internet forum... usually I just lurk!

So, hello my internet friends.

I wanted to open up a space where people could share thoughts and strategies on how to successfully wake up from catatonic and dissociative states, be they mild or severe.

I know that we have been given this unique perspective on the world so that we can put our ideals into action in the material world. However, the fact that in order to form a perspective of what the truth is, I instinctually dissolve the boundaries of myself, which makes this pattern of brain functioning quite the double edged sword.
As from my experience, once dissociated it seems impossible to rationally bring oneself back to reality in the face of overwhelming emotion when you have sort of abandoned your material body, but I know there must be someway to strengthen the faculties...

Does anyone have any advice or stories on how they have been able to successfully get their ideals into action and wake up from the dissociation or catatonia? Do you think these are just natural cycles that occur as part of our early development?

I am in my mid-20s, but these past years have been rough, and I seem to have had to temporarily abandon my body and my innermost dreams of my art just to survive in a harsh environment surrounded by extroverted sensing types who suck my energy. I tell myself it is just a phase that I need to go through to learn what my shadow is, but I really tell myself whatever I have to in order to work this job long enough to save enough money so I can relocate and get back into graduate school. My body feels like it has arthritis from abandoning it, despite the fact that I eat the best whole organic locally grown food I can find, take long walks, get lots of sleep etc.. I really try to take care of myself.

Since I have been dissociated for so long in this environment I have tons of crystal clear paintings stored in my head, but somehow it is hard to bring them on the page in the material.

I know it will get better, but I just want to reach out and see if others have gone through this in some respect to their own personal passion and how did they get out of it?

Apologies if this is rambling, but thanks for reading, and I look forward to any thoughts you all may share.

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
Welcome! :happy:

My advice - keep posting!! Your (probably repressed?) fe needs a place to release all that your ni and se have been processing. Take baby steps or the stress or anxiety of feeling too exposed, if you're not used to it, at once might bring you back to a similar place. Long walks sound great as well - keep up with those!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this makes sense! yes, I really need to work on feeling it through slowly. my body posture and muscle has become rigid like all the muscles are storing the pent up energy. time to stretch it out I think!

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
this makes sense! yes, I really need to work on feeling it through slowly. my body posture and muscle has become rigid like all the muscles are storing the pent up energy. time to stretch it out I think!
I've found several sites that attribute this to INFJ :) I was told at one of the more stressful, repressed times of my life that I looked like I was going to "explode" by a concerned coworker, so I get ya :)

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I find giving your five senses something to think about helps. Find an interesting picture and look at it, get up and walk around, snap a rubber band against your skin, hold an ice cube, breathe deeply or in a different rhythm than usual, runs your hands over a oddly shaped rock, rub your feet against the floor, notice scents on the air, talk to a friend about whatever--there's tons of ways. They call these things "grounding techniques", and different ones work for different people. Maybe something similar would help you out of dissociative states when they come to you?

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
I find giving your five senses something to think about helps. Find an interesting picture and look at it, get up and walk around, snap a rubber band against your skin, hold an ice cube, breathe deeply or in a different rhythm than usual, runs your hands over a oddly shaped rock, rub your feet against the floor, notice scents on the air, talk to a friend about whatever--there's tons of ways. They call these things "grounding techniques", and different ones work for different people. Maybe something similar would help you out of dissociative states when they come to you?
Huh, weird, I've always done this intuitively, and then catch myself wondering - what are you doing, lol? Usually I do it in the form of walking around my apartment (it was my parents house when I was younger). I go from room to room and back again, touching everything, taking in and walking to every corner...interesting :) Good advice! It is very calming indeed. I do feel a bit anxious though when someone catches me, assuming I'm snooping or something strange and I can't actually tell them what I'm doing, lol. From now on, I'm grounding myself, da*n it! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your reminders. When I got off work I made sure to go to the sauna, stretch and take a cold shower then walk on grass barefoot--- then I could feel my heart and soul again minus all the weird thinking static. It was brilliant and I have my purpose back. The rigor mortis feeling is gone!

From now on I am just going to have to be extra diligent about planning a grounding session after any event where I am surrounded by overwhelming stimuli.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I know that we have been given this unique perspective on the world so that we can put our ideals into action in the material world. However, the fact that in order to form a perspective of what the truth is, I instinctually dissolve the boundaries of myself, which makes this pattern of brain functioning quite the double edged sword.
As from my experience, once dissociated it seems impossible to rationally bring oneself back to reality in the face of overwhelming emotion when you have sort of abandoned your material body, but I know there must be someway to strengthen the faculties...
I like how you mentioned you instinctually dissolve the boundries around yourself. I don't know if you mean it in the same way I do, but I feel like in order to help individual people I open a vein every time and reach out with my very blood spilling before me to let them know its alright to be vulnerable with me because I will be vulnerable to them. I give them the deepest part of my emotional self because it helps them not to be afraid. And once they've let me in, I can begin to help them heal.

Unfortunately, I've had a habit of opening veins for people who did not, in the end, wish to be known. But aren't these the ones you wish to do it for the very most?

I apologize for straying so far from what you started this post for, but your words struck me, and it was something I'd been thinking on a lot lately.

Reactions: sapphire83

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I thought I understood what the first post was about but then everyone else was talking about completely different things which threw me off.

I thought it was something about trying to emotionally reconnect to life. I remember last year I was ridiculously apathetic about everything, with full knowledge that I SHOULD be caring about all my senior friends graduating without me because I'm a year younger, but simply not caring. It was ridiculous.

What helped for me was both time and friends. Particularly an ENFJ with whom it was very easy to show my emotions to. Being able to talk about them reduced their repression. It also seems to be something that fades with time, though you do have to watch out for things that increase the detachment, or at least make an effort not to let them increase the detachment.

Nowdays the apathy has turned into more an accepting attitude of negative events. I don't know where I'm going from here.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I do this quite frequently and am still learning how to find how to master this problem. I find reassessing oneself is neccesary. Until such time as doing that independently is possible and knowing the limits of your disassociation it is neccesary to have a very close person who you can tell about yourself and who knows you inside and out so that they can identify when you are disassociating and from there you can reassess yourself from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts