Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed with INTJs and INFJs, we tend to be in 'lala land' when we walk around, in our own worlds, thiking about something. Usually other people are the first to recognize me and it seems they spotted me way before i even recognized them.

Is this true with you guys too? How do you think this comes off to others?

And how have you known other types to be when walking around?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dunno. I'm usually in "lalaland", but always seem to take note of anyone who comes into vision. Nod, salute, or verbally greet in passing - then go back to ignoring everything.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think I am in Lala land of the world around me if that makes sense. My S and particularly Si are very high so I get a lot from my senses and from the world directly around me. Its a weird dynamic to try and explain. I am very very "aware" of everything around me. I will just revel in the world around me and love how beautiful everything is if you look at it the right way and its allowed to grow. I spend a lot of my time on my university campus which is completely beautiful tons of OLD and HUGE pine and oak trees and beautiful buildings and green grass. I am always scanning and looking at everything around me but I am shut off to everything else. Other times I am lost in my intuition and in the really aloof and cold state where everything is shut away.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Like Humilis, I wander about in deep thought but I am aware of people around me. It comes from getting hunted down by the bullies after school.

My head is always on a swivel. And if I'm trying to be secretive, I'll watch people using reflective surfaces around me. I have a pair of John Lennon style sunglasses that actually let me see what is going on behind me. They are quite useful. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I too sometimes go into super sense mode - I see and hear everything (well it feels like it)

It's an amazing high for me. Colours, textures, light and shade etc become really vivid

I often look up slightly (trees buildings etc) Most people walk with their heads pointing at the pavement - what a waste!

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I do my walking around at home- usually listening to my MP3 player. I will pace from room to room. Now I can be lost in thought in public, especially if nobody is talking to me or saying anything that interests me, but I am still. lol

When I was an RA, my boss used to tease me because he could hear me pacing in my room. During a meeting with the boss, I said, "I don't mind working here, but I don't like living here."

I have to recharge in my living space. It's better if I am completley alone during the process though, because it does look weird to people. My former roommate told me that he had to get used to it. He and my boss both said they thought it was a little "creepy".

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think I'm more aware than I'd like to be. I don't need to even be paying attention in order to know there is someone nearby. I find it comes like an invasion of privacy. I will be thinking about something wonderful and then it gets interrupted by someone who's somehow offended by how I'm sitting or something crazy like that. And this person could be on top of a hill somewhere away from where I'm directly looking at. Unfortunately I don't really look like I'm spaced out, but I would like to. I'm told more often that I look like I'm concentrating on something (in the real world). I'm more aware specifically of people, but everything else not always...like sometimes I will come home and find scratches on my arms or legs and I don't know how they got there.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I relate to what you guys wrote. I think I take in a lot but for some reason I just don't notice the people lol. they are part of the crowd but i dont recognize it when someone i know is nearby:

I find it comes like an invasion of privacy. I will be thinking about something wonderful and then it gets interrupted by someon
^I totally feel like it's an invasion of my privacy too-i walk around, lost in my thoughts and looking at random things go by me, and if i see someone, it's an interruption of my flow of thoughts.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have to recharge in my living space. It's better if I am completley alone during the process though, because it does look weird to people. My former roommate told me that he had to get used to it. He and my boss both said they thought it was a little "creepy".
Same. My roommate wonders why I spend hours alone in my room sometimes. Ther was even one occasion where he pointed out to me that I was pacing back and forth through the room-- when I hadn't even noticed myself.

Could it be that introverts just have too much brain activity going on?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Same. My roommate wonders why I spend hours alone in my room sometimes.

Could it be that introverts just have too much brain activity going on?
Yeah, sometimes it annoys me, but when the time comes to actually take action on something, at least I've thought it through- or so I believe most of the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I sometimes think that I spend too much time inside my own head. I can live out entire conversations in there, discuss a problem with myself, often from both points of view... I also tend to think while walking, it helps me think more clearly, however, I tend to become oblivious to most things around me. I won't bump into a telephone pole or something like that, but it is hard to notice others when I'm in that frame of mind.
I even managed not to notice an entire bus :confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Curious - I know what you mean by the invasion of privacy. I like to go for walks or ride my bike and when people get too close I feel highly annoyed and I lose my train of thought. Sometimes I'll trek way back in the woods (as best you can in the city) to write in my not-really-a-journal journal and someone will STILL manage to invade my space. That's why I listen to Pandora with headphones on my Droid most of the time. Especially grocery shopping. People suck as a group but persons I can deal with. I have what I consider aural ADD and even tiny noises bother me. That's why I tend to avoid children and dogs. Shhhhh!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I noticed with INTJs and INFJs, we tend to be in 'lala land' when we walk around, in our own worlds, thinking about something. Usually other people are the first to recognize me and it seems they spotted me way before i even recognized them.

Is this true with you guys too? How do you think this comes off to others?

And how have you known other types to be when walking around?
Oh, definitely. I'm very much in my own world when I go on walks. Then again, I'm always inside my head whether I'm out walking or not. However, I am very aware of what is around me albeit people I might potentially talk to, which path I need to take to go where I want to go, etc. Maybe that's why I come across as such this head-in-the-clouds type of person. I'm so aware of the mundane details in life, that I need to dig deeper inside myself to make the daily routines seem less like a dread. I genuinely enjoy this deep thinking. I just look to the sky and try to picture what I look like from a bird's perspective, how it sees me, and then I keep climbing the different atmospheres till I view where I'm currently walking from a completely different point of view. This is one thing I do while out walking, either to class or even by myself to revel in nature. Of course, this isn't the end all be all of what I do, though reoccurring.

I think I have this peace of mind expression shown on my face more than nearly every person I encounter. I just try to enjoy the essence of being alive and observing all the beauty in the world. Hard to pass by. Maybe I should just watch American Beauty for the bah-gillionith time again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
have you ever tried walking with an ESTP? i did today...one of the funniest moments of my life, he was laughing like crazy and was incredibly amused with me yelling at him to slow down. i was literally running. at first we were side by side going at our normal paces, when i looked up he was like 20 feet in front of me. i'm like "HOW DID YOU GET OVER THERE SO FAST!". i ran to catch up to him....ended up running for the rest of the time we were walking together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts