Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey ISTJ! Jetplane48 here and I just wanted to know if you guys would join our growing Personality Page on Facebook where we discuss MBTI/Socionics/Enneagram etc similar areas of psychology including disorders and abnormalities relating to personality (maybe even astrology?) and thanks for joining:)

And Yes, I do have a Youtube account discussing MBTI and similar systems. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/user/jetplane48

Hello ENFPs, I am an ESTP and I'm looking to interview you! I really want to get to know your type via this interactions. I have a a bunch of other videos up but these are they usually turn out:

The purpose of me making these videos is to show the world how all the types could work out in real life, and how they answer various topics. You can use these videos to observe facial movements and stuff like that. Add me on skype, my username is jetplane48 (or message me on PerC if you had any questions before you take the plunge) so we can get this party started and thank you guys for giving me your ears :D

(The interview doesn't have to be just us, it can be multiple people so if you prefer that, I could get more types involved)

I also do other types of videos such as follows:

Thanks again, love you PerC :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
-Freezes, then runs quickly away-

Okay, I'll come back to explain.

I definitely think you can find great people on here to represent the types and educate others. But you -might- find types such as ISTJs (in general, not PerC specifically) to be a harder type to recruit due to an introverted and reserved nature.

But don't give up, you'll find them eventually I'm sure. I myself will have to stick to ISTJ stereotype on this, unfortunately, and decline. It's no offense to your project; when I get time I'd like to check your videos out and I hope you'll find the right people soon to get things rolling forward. I'm just not one for even starring in multiple photographs, much less be center stage in videos. Plus, I doubt I have the proper computer/ filming equipment to match your content.

But good luck, and be sure to treat yourself when you do get ISTJs on board; you'll definitely deserve the rearward for persistence and patience in seeking them out (;

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Like Librarian, I will bow outta this one.

It was hard enough doing the ISTJ Video thread, back when.

Reactions: Coburn

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Hmm, I actually think this sounds like a super fun and educational experience. I feel like I might want to participate BUT it boils down to being afraid of people staring at my face and knowing it (kinda). Never know what weirdos are on the Internet...

Yeah I know. Probably sounds ridiculous to you. My sister is ESTP and she definitely doesn’t share my level of caution.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hmm, I actually think this sounds like a super fun and educational experience. I feel like I might want to participate BUT it boils down to being afraid of people staring at my face and knowing it (kinda). Never know what weirdos are on the Internet...

Yeah I know. Probably sounds ridiculous to you. My sister is ESTP and she definitely doesn’t share my level of caution.
I think about this as, the weirdos don't know where you live so it doesn't matter. By the same reasoning, don't go out in the street either. :laughing:

I'm usually not crazy reckless but depending on what it is, I sometimes ignore it when some other people think something could be dangerous because I can logically see that it isn't actually dangerous, there being only a very low chance for something bad happening.

Anyway, @OP, I won't do this video, sorry, not because it would be dangerous but because I don't think I can really contribute here in a good enough way. I hope someone else will.

The ISTJ watchword should probably be: "Caution."
I think the trait of cautiousness just correlates with introversion but it does not directly follow from the definition of any of the dichotomies or the basic function definitions that this is the core defining feature for the ISTJ type. I just see it as an associated trait of the cognition but not as the cognition itself. Sure, introverts have a higher averaged trait of overall cautiousness than the averaged overall trait of cautiousness of the extraverts but that's all that can be said. Also, the trait of cautiousness is so generic. It could be that someone is cautious in one thing and is not cautious in another thing.

I personally see myself as around average with overall cautiousness. My expressed introversion/extraversion is close to average/ambiverted too, though the preference itself is clear enough.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
@grumpytiger lol yeah I had the same thought "but you meet strangers in the streets anyway". However, you don't talk to them for long enough to accidentally disclose anything of importance. I still think logically, it's fine. It's probably some personal, illogical fear. *shrug*

A lot of ISTJs do tend to be cautious because of their nature to rely on experience. If their experiences have taught them to be cautious, then yeah.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
@grumpytiger lol yeah I had the same thought "but you meet strangers in the streets anyway". However, you don't talk to them for long enough to accidentally disclose anything of importance. I still think logically, it's fine. It's probably some personal, illogical fear. *shrug*
I wasn't trying to say that you are an illogical person or anything like that. :)

A lot of ISTJs do tend to be cautious because of their nature to rely on experience. If their experiences have taught them to be cautious, then yeah.
Cautious about what, again. I'm cautious about some things and I'm not about other things.

The experience part is very true though. Basically, if I was in a certain type of situation once that was important enough in some way and it turned out bad with a bad enough consequence, and then if that repeated in the exact same way the next time, I don't try to go through that again for the third time. Sometimes I do, if I really see no other option... Or if I figure out what factors caused things to go down the bad way. Sometimes not going to try even for the second time (if very bad consequence). I guess I have this brand of cautiousness if we want to call it that but to me it's just an instinct of not doing what I know will end in a bad way. It's not simply being afraid of risks, but simply common sense to me to not try things again that clearly don't work. And I can figure out those factors sometimes to make it work actually and that can be great then. :)

Then in some other things I've been seen as very reckless (and as I said, I'd agree I can take a little risk sometimes that other people think is a bigger risk than it is in actuality), so there's that too.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
I wasn't trying to say that you are an illogical person or anything like that. :)

Cautious about what, again. I'm cautious about some things and I'm not about other things.

The experience part is very true though. Basically, if I was in a certain type of situation once that was important enough in some way and it turned out bad with a bad enough consequence, and then if that repeated in the exact same way the next time, I don't try to go through that again for the third time. Sometimes I do, if I really see no other option... Or if I figure out what factors caused things to go down the bad way. Sometimes not going to try even for the second time (if very bad consequence). I guess I have this brand of cautiousness if we want to call it that but to me it's just an instinct of not doing what I know will end in a bad way. It's not simply being afraid of risks, but simply common sense to me to not try things again that clearly don't work. And I can figure out those factors sometimes to make it work actually and that can be great then. :)

Then in some other things I've been seen as very reckless (and as I said, I'd agree I can take a little risk sometimes that other people think is a bigger risk than it is in actuality), so there's that too.
Oh no worries, but I am quite illogical at times haha.

See, that's the thing. There isn't really a "common sense caution" for ISTJs (I don't think). We tailor our personal lessons to our personal experiences. So similar to what you said, one ISTJ's brand of cautiousness is not going to be the same as another ISTJ's brand of cautiousness, because everybody has unique experiences. I also view my cautiousness as "common sense" at times, but then I realize actually, many people will think I am overreacting.

The experience part is very true though. Basically, if I was in a certain type of situation once that was important enough in some way and it turned out bad with a bad enough consequence, and then if that repeated in the exact same way the next time, I don't try to go through that again for the third time. Sometimes I do, if I really see no other option... Or if I figure out what factors caused things to go down the bad way. Sometimes not going to try even for the second time (if very bad consequence).
Yeah, I have the same mindset when it comes to big mistakes. I always found it counter-productive to know you're walking into fire (again), and just let yourself do it willingly, and I very much dislike counter-productiveness. However, my sister who is ESTP (I will use her as an example) just keeps doing the same thing over and over again without a care in the world. I guess perhaps in her (and others') minds, the level of risk associated with the situation is not worthy of the value of the situation.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh no worries, but I am quite illogical at times haha.

See, that's the thing. There isn't really a "common sense caution" for ISTJs (I don't think). We tailor our personal lessons to our personal experiences. So similar to what you said, one ISTJ's brand of cautiousness is not going to be the same as another ISTJ's brand of cautiousness, because everybody has unique experiences. I also view my cautiousness as "common sense" at times, but then I realize actually, many people will think I am overreacting.

Yeah, I have the same mindset when it comes to big mistakes. I always found it counter-productive to know you're walking into fire (again), and just let yourself do it willingly, and I very much dislike counter-productiveness. However, my sister who is ESTP (I will use her as an example) just keeps doing the same thing over and over again without a care in the world. I guess perhaps in her (and others') minds, the level of risk associated with the situation is not worthy of the value of the situation.
The thing is, I do not always become "cautious" from experiences. I can repeat some things and run into the same problems (seemingly problems) because I just don't care all that much there, I guess. I don't learn well from punishment in many cases, so to speak. That fire only really hurts in certain very important issues. I will walk through it other times without a real care. And I'll possibly escape through it unscathed anyway. :D Also, I almost never consciously think of risk. If it gets in my face enough or someone warns me in a way that manages to affect me then yeah and it gets annoying at the same time, me feeling like I have to be extra-cautious. Does your ESTP sister not care even for important stuff?

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
The thing is, I do not always become "cautious" from experiences. I can repeat some things and run into the same problems (seemingly problems) because I just don't care all that much there, I guess. I don't learn well from punishment in many cases, so to speak. That fire only really hurts in certain very important issues. I will walk through it other times without a real care. And I'll possibly escape through it unscathed anyway. :D Also, I almost never consciously think of risk. If it gets in my face enough or someone warns me in a way that manages to affect me then yeah and it gets annoying at the same time, me feeling like I have to be extra-cautious. Does your ESTP sister not care even for important stuff?
Yes, even for important stuff. She's gone to the eye doctor many times because she fails to remove her contact lenses before sleeping. She knows the consequences, but she doesn't really follow the "sensible" thing. She just doesn't care. When the situation happens though, then she cares a lot (obviously). It's truly baffling.

For me, I won't really care for stuff I think isn't important, but that's really unique and personal to my experience. I have been warned against drinking diet soda for health risks. I don't care, I still do it regardless. I perceive the risk as minimal (no jinx), but others have literally told me "why do you do it? it's not worth it".

Edit: Wait, that diet soda example was ludicrous lol. Umm, okay alcohol. I drink a few times a week. A lot of people feel "your liver is gonna be ruined". They have very good reason to believe that, it's been proven. To me, eh. I'll survive.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes, even for important stuff. She's gone to the eye doctor many times because she fails to remove her contact lenses before sleeping. She knows the consequences, but she doesn't really follow the "sensible" thing. She just doesn't care. When the situation happens though, then she cares a lot (obviously). It's truly baffling.
That's not the sort of thing where I learn the hard way from experience. This example is in the "no-brainer" category - I don't even try to go there, I don't have to learn from experience all that much with this stuff. This stuff = very clear logical consequences about body stuff. That stuff goes in the category of applying automatic rules where I don't even have to think about it. Of course, I again don't see it as cautiousness. :)

Where I learn from experience like I described earlier is not body stuff but complex situations that may involve people too. That is where I get to see actual risks, with some emotion related stuff too, because with impersonal situations I can usually orient by logic and not feel much of a risk.

For me, I won't really care for stuff I think isn't important, but that's really unique and personal to my experience. I have been warned against drinking diet soda for health risks. I don't care, I still do it regardless. I perceive the risk as minimal (no jinx), but others have literally told me "why do you do it? it's not worth it".

Edit: Wait, that diet soda example was ludicrous lol. Umm, okay alcohol. I drink a few times a week. A lot of people feel "your liver is gonna be ruined". They have very good reason to believe that, it's been proven. To me, eh. I'll survive.
Lol, whoever warned you about diet soda and alcohol are real worrywarts. There's not much of a health risk with these examples of yours. (I am assuming that you don't actually get drunk a few times a week, but just drink a bit of alcohol.)

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Someone else mentioned somewhere about us ISTJ's Si taking time to gather data before making a judgement.

In this manner, I would consider us to be "cautious" - as in, not wanting to make a (possibly erronous) judgement too soon.

;)

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Someone else mentioned somewhere about us ISTJ's Si taking time to gather data before making a judgement.

In this manner, I would consider us to be "cautious" - as in, not wanting to make a (possibly erronous) judgement too soon.

;)
Yes it's definitely a process with so many situations. Si/Te to compare and contrast. Also combined with inferior Ne to "foretell (maybe)" of all the things that could go wrong. Weighing everything's importance with Fi. *sigh* yeah.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

;)
Hmm, it's interesting, it's like I have two modes about this. In some things I really really take my time getting all the data and identifying all the bits of the collected data and organizing it, before the time for the decision arrives. Then in other things I'm quickly decisive. I'm not entirely sure what this depends on. I just know that in the first case too, I enter the second (secondary?) mode of being quickly decisive. It feels like a more big picture mode rather than that detail-oriented mode you call cautious.

And, I am getting predictable here but lol, I don't feel extra-cautious in that mode either (the detail-oriented slow thorough one). It just feels thorough but I don't look at risks too consciously, I just simply want to cover everything to have a good overview of things. And yes, one thing that is useful for is avoiding bad consequences, of course, so in that sense you can call it cautious, I just don't think that caution/risk avoidance is the primary/sole agenda for the detail-oriented mode.

Oh and I can easily speak my mind on judgments when already familiar with something (having already analyzed it to the point of it making sense enough). I can even throw out judgments too fast then, actually. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes it's definitely a process with so many situations. Si/Te to compare and contrast. Also combined with inferior Ne to "foretell (maybe)" of all the things that could go wrong. Weighing everything's importance with Fi. *sigh* yeah.
Eh lol by default I hardly ever think of what specifically could go wrong. At least not consciously. I don't even *like* to. It annoys me to have to worry about bs. I just feel more comfortable having covered all details in some cases. But to try and think of scenarios of what could possibly go wrong... that requires way more imagination than what I have. Yeah, not a lot of imagination here for possible outcomes that's not something I've already experienced physically or something that's a direct logical consequence of the current situation. That kind of brainstorming for possible outcomes beyond the direct logic just hurts my head. And again, I don't care to worry unnecessarily. :) Especially because if you really want to make me think of a possible bad outcome, I'll just think of some crazy impossibly bad thing, that might not even be specified as a concrete thing, just a vague idea, but that basically is just as bad as the sum of everything that could go wrong and then some more impossible crazy bad stuff added, lolol. No, I really prefer to ignore such ideas.

Hmm, what I actually can have a good sense of though, is when I get the sense that I cannot see what the outcome can/will be by simple logic. That can indeed be one reason for wanting to cover more details, too. I just don't have the imagination to actually think of ideas for what could go wrong, I only have this vague sense of how something maybe will go wrong. My options are then the following: try to cover more detail and orient better, or simply go ahead and act anyway. I prefer the former, unless I somehow decide I have to do the latter. With that, if I'm lucky then I'm able to specify a course for myself where I'll exclude any uncertainty. I can sometimes get pretty creative with how to exclude them*, but brainstorming whatif's isn't an option. :p

*: Yes, this is without having to see all those possible outcomes. Sometimes logic and methodical execution of that logical course is enough to exclude these without having to know what they would be.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Btw I just saw this summary on ISTJs where it had a section for "Potential Blind Spots for ISTJs" (from here)

• If ISTJs have not developed their Sensing preference, they may not take in
enough facts and then may rush into action prematurely.
• If they don’t take in enough information, they run the risk of passing judgment
on others inappropriately.

I do think in some situations I move to the Te a bit too fast like this. Especially guilty of first one lol but then I tend to sort out things somehow. So much for the caution, again... in those situations anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts