1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
when speaking a less familiar language, the brain takes longer to process the intake and output therefore giving room for rational thoughts to creep in. In other words, less emotional outburst or response.

I remember the time when I had to process what I heard and what I wanted to say with more time because English being a 2nd language. I was often mute or skimpy with reciprocation (yes/no response). I sure sounded or acted rational. It all changed after my brain could process English in and out spontaneously. I became rather ornery, especially when emotionally charged. ;-)

·
Sunset Stripper
9,808 Posts
I learned both of the languages I speak more or less at the same time (or like young enough for me not to remember which was first). Which is why I'm an emotional mess in both. Maybe I should reconsider signing up for a year of German.

Anyways, I've heard people say that if you speak English then you're bad at maths? Like I don't know if that's just because they cant speak it or something but? Or is it just a jealous urban myth?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Interesting.

I've often thought that I articulated thoughts/explanations better in English than in my first language.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
In Spanish, I only speak as far as I know. If I don't know a word or conjugation, I just don't use it. It's more precise, I know the grammar and I never try to step outside my understanding of the grammar. In English, it's more natural and dialectal. I could think and articulate a more proper expression but simpler shorthands and reduced grammar priority require less thought and can flow out more easily. But in my case where I rarely verbally communicated most of my life, I have difficulty letting it fly out of my mouth. I could make a very poorly framed sentence, especially if I'm angry and just tell at someone, there are no lingual rules followed, I just spit out whatever I think and it rarely makes sense.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Yeah... it was helpful 'till the moment I got rather good at English and then it spontaneously got as messy as my usual way of thinking.

·
Registered
INTP
7,050 Posts
Anyways, I've heard people say that if you speak English then you're bad at maths? Like I don't know if that's just because they cant speak it or something but? Or is it just a jealous urban myth?
There may be some truth in the fact that language has a deep affect on your normal way of thinking.

I don't think it'll make English speakers worse though.

Language is more of a cultural thing, I think.

What I mean is, the words we use to think will define the ideas we come up with. So ideas from natively English people will be different from the ideas of Chinese people.

Actually I'm gonna get into ranting mode here. The Chinese are believed to be great at maths and academic subjects. I call bullshit on that, they're just made to memorise things at school. Barely any innovation comes from China. The greatest names in science all spoke European languages, with grammar and vocabulary all coming from very similar roots. I rest my case.

Heh.

EDIT: Not that the Chinese are necessarily bad at maths and science. They're just the same as everyone else.

And yes I'll admit this is because I was once doing some fairly complex physics degree homework and, because I had a basic sine wave drawn onto a page, a young and dumb Chinese friend of mine sniggered, talked a bit of Chinese to his girlfriend, then said, "We learned that in high school." So the little cunt had assumed I was doing 'easy' Chinese high school work on my physics undergraduate degree just because he saw a sine wave on a page, and he clearly only thought so because of the aforementioned stereotype I just outlined.

·
Sunset Stripper
9,808 Posts
There may be some truth in the fact that language has a deep affect on your normal way of thinking.

I don't think it'll make English speakers worse though.

Language is more of a cultural thing, I think.

What I mean is, the words we use to think will define the ideas we come up with. So ideas from natively English people will be different from the ideas of Chinese people.

Actually I'm gonna get into ranting mode here. The Chinese are believed to be great at maths and academic subjects. I call bullshit on that, they're just made to memorise things at school. Barely any innovation comes from China. The greatest names in science all spoke European languages, with grammar and vocabulary all coming from very similar roots. I rest my case.

Heh.

EDIT: Not that the Chinese are necessarily bad at maths and science. They're just the same as everyone else.

And yes I'll admit this is because I was once doing some fairly complex physics degree homework and, because I had a basic sine wave drawn onto a page, a young and dumb Chinese friend of mine sniggered, talked a bit of Chinese to his girlfriend, then said, "We learned that in high school." So the little cunt had assumed I was doing 'easy' Chinese high school work on my physics undergraduate degree just because he saw a sine wave on a page, and he clearly only thought so because of the aforementioned stereotype I just outlined.
Yeah. I definitely think the people who've said that to me are jealous (because they usually speak broken English or don't feel comfortable speaking it). I also hear stuff like "X language is so versatile, you can say XYZ in so many different ways but in English its just _____" and I was like ... plus the girls who were saying this were saying this ALL IN ENGLISH and I was like ??? (its not the official language here) what are you doing???

My spanish professor also said that during some time in like the 1900's the education system here changed languages and they used English and she was like HOW DO YOU LEARN MATH IN ENGLISH!??! & im my head I was like THE SAME WAY YOU LEARNED MATH IN SPANISH. -_- ugh

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Actually, it could also be.. uhh the opposite of ethnocentrism, considering to fully grasp a language, you have to drown yourself int it's culture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts