Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an online test, and it said I was a 9, a 2, a 5w6, or a 6w5. That was a lot of different answers, so I figured y'all could help me out. Thanks.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
I think that my main drive in live is acceptance. Everything I do I do to be accepted in one way or another. I look for love or respect.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I'm still not completely sure what I hope to accomplish in life. I would like to be able to touch people with my music, and to show people that even if times are hard, it'll get better.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I want to avoid being controlled, or becoming a joke. I really value compassion and respect.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
My biggest fear is failure, and losing the people I love. If I fail, I won't be able to forgive myself, and I just don't know what I would do if I lost people that I allowed to be close to me.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want people to see me as a strong, put-together person. Smart, and confident. I see myself as a failure, unable to do what I want, and at times a scared child.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Playing live and watching the crowd, helping someone or finishing up a really good song make me feel my best. I think that feeling like no one's listening makes me feel the worst.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
I don't really experience anger, unless I'm depressed. Then I can't stop moving around, and my chest feels really tight. When I experience shame, I get really depressed, and I don't want to do anything else, unless I get angry. Then I hit things. When I get anxious, I continuously move around and fiddle with anything I can get my hands on (Clicking pens, playing with my hands)

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
I respond to stress by speeding up everything I do. When I experience unexpected change, I get pretty nervous, and if there's a conflict, I do my best to stay out of it, or try and get both sides to resolve the conflict.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
I really dislike authority. I understand why they exist, but I feel that people can and do easily become corrupted by the power. I also dislike power, because then I am no longer in control of myself, the person with the power is.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
Overall, I feel people are good, and humanity can do wonderful things. There are bad people, and even good people can do bad things, but I think that most of the time people are good.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
When I was little, I was abused by bullies and my step-father until I was 15 years old. I would tend to stay away from forming true relationships, and build large walls around myself so that people couldn't hurt me like that any more.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I will give you my trust if you earn it, but once it has been broken, it's very hard for me to trust you again.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
I like that I'm caring, interested by learning, and creative. I hate that I'm a perfectionist, and that I can't seem to stay focused on one task.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I took an online test, and it said I was a 9, a 2, a 5w6, or a 6w5. That was a lot of different answers, so I figured y'all could help me out. Thanks.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
I think that my main drive in live is acceptance. Everything I do I do to be accepted in one way or another. I look for love or respect.
Not very 9-like. It's rather 2ish (emphasis on love), perhaps even 3-ish (3 improving image).

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I'm still not completely sure what I hope to accomplish in life. I would like to be able to touch people with my music, and to show people that even if times are hard, it'll get better.
I don't know 9s to be trying to seem inspirational. It sounds like a 2 and their image of being loving and kind. Haha, maybe even a Barack Obama-esque ring to it, he talks about hope a lot also. Definitely 2ish.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I want to avoid being controlled, or becoming a joke. I really value compassion and respect.
I think most aren't too friendly to losing their personal space or will, or having people think they're fake by any means.

Values sound very 2-like in that they're centered around being loved and people listening to you.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
My biggest fear is failure, and losing the people I love. If I fail, I won't be able to forgive myself, and I just don't know what I would do if I lost people that I allowed to be close to me.
Fear of failure is a big sign of a 3. They feel worthy because they can achieve. 3s are known to say that acceptance comes with success, so they do their best to succeed.

The question is, failing at what? It seems to be tied so heavily to love that I get the feeling it is a 2 perhaps being self-sufficient and doing things for others.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want people to see me as a strong, put-together person. Smart, and confident. I see myself as a failure, unable to do what I want, and at times a scared child.
It seems like a 2 here would have said that something about being caring, and considerate or something. A possible 3w2 people-centric, engaging and competitive. It maybe a 2 in a particular situation though.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Playing live and watching the crowd, helping someone or finishing up a really good song make me feel my best. I think that feeling like no one's listening makes me feel the worst.
Having your performance noticed by many is a motivation. The question being, is it your ability that you're showing (3) or is it the happiness you bring (2)?

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
I don't really experience anger, unless I'm depressed. Then I can't stop moving around, and my chest feels really tight. When I experience shame, I get really depressed, and I don't want to do anything else, unless I get angry. Then I hit things. When I get anxious, I continuously move around and fiddle with anything I can get my hands on (Clicking pens, playing with my hands)
Not very helpful, both 2s and 3s have a large amount of shame, but for different reasons:
http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/type2.php said:
Threes can sometimes find intimacy difficult. Their need to be validated for their image often hides a deep sense of shame about who they really are, a shame they unconsciously fear will be unmasked if another gets too close. Threes are often generous and likable, but are difficult to really know.
As twos it appears they experience this feeling more because they could not do more for other people and feeling selfish as expressed in this thread http://personalitycafe.com/type-2-forum-helper/56994-what-you-ashamed.html Sadly, I was not able to find better source.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
I respond to stress by speeding up everything I do. When I experience unexpected change, I get pretty nervous, and if there's a conflict, I do my best to stay out of it, or try and get both sides to resolve the conflict.
3s are known to be good with persuasion, which is expressed by your ability to resolve the conflict. You work harder when the pressure is on, 3s are normally pretty cool under pressure and competition. I wouldn't say 2 isn't a possibility still, just seems like you focus on yourself a lot, and how you express yourself isn't quite like a 2 either.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
I really dislike authority. I understand why they exist, but I feel that people can and do easily become corrupted by the power. I also dislike power, because then I am no longer in control of myself, the person with the power is.
Not particularly telling.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
Overall, I feel people are good, and humanity can do wonderful things. There are bad people, and even good people can do bad things, but I think that most of the time people are good.
Not particularly telling.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
When I was little, I was abused by bullies and my step-father until I was 15 years old. I would tend to stay away from forming true relationships, and build large walls around myself so that people couldn't hurt me like that any more.
I have trouble imagining a 2 sustaining such a lifestyle given their basic desire to be loved. I could see this out of a 3.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I will give you my trust if you earn it, but once it has been broken, it's very hard for me to trust you again.
Not particularly telling. Emotions are not alien to a 3 often.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
I like that I'm caring, interested by learning, and creative. I hate that I'm a perfectionist, and that I can't seem to stay focused on one task.
3s are known to be perfectionists often.

I would say 3w2 has the highest possibility, but nothing you've said made me too certain. You could very well be a 2 of some sort. I am pretty doubtful of 9.

Here are some good links to read up on types:
Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions
the enneagram ...info from the underground
and also each type's forum has an article written by Timeless, which is great also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. My brain can be stupid sometimes, and I tend to jump from ideas to ideas, so that may have been the inconsistencies. And it may even be that I'm just confused about who I am in general. I don't know at this point. But I will definitely read up on that information, and see what I can figure out.

Thanks again for the input.

Reactions: Wake
1 - 3 of 3 Posts