Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jesus is always called INFJ, but from my reading of the Bible he seems more INFP. Jesus seems to be constantly guided by his inner values.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
I don't know a lot about the life of Jesus.

I apologize in advance.

But my "feeling" is -- there is no way on God's green earth that Jesus was a P. Put me with the INFJ camp, or if I knew a bit more about him, maybe INTJ. Like balanced F and T. Like right on the line of T and F. Just going by feelings here, nothing scientific. ;) I probably should not have even said INTJ cuz -- well -- just cuz. I'm feeling the I, the N, the F/T and no way a P.

Last few lines in Isabel Briggs Myers book on INFJs:

"...The visions of the INFJs tend to concern human welfare, and their contributions are likely to be made independent of a mass movement. Occasionally, the individual contribution starts a mass movement or a religion or a crusade."

·
Registered
212 Posts
JC was never a real person, just an amalgamation of various prophets and tales from various religions.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
197 Posts
JC was never a real person, just an amalgamation of various prophets and tales from various religions.

Jesus Christ was a real individual, even the most harcore atheist speakers will have no problem admitting he existed due to the overwhelming evidence in that direction.
Where the various religions differ (primarily Judaism, Christianity and Islam), is the role Jesus played in the grander scale of things. But all of them fundamentally agreed that Jesus existed.

In Judaism, Jesus is primarily seen as a fraud, and Judaism subscribes strictly to the Old Testament teachings, and ignores the New Testament. Jesus died on the crucifix and never was revived.

In Christianity, Jesus is the main reason why people were redeemed in the eyes of God. The whole religion of Christianity refers to the redemption of humanity through the crucifixion of Christ, giving everyone a chance.

In Islam, Jesus was seen as an ordinary prophet. The main difference here is that he never died from his crucifixion as he was rescued by Allah. While Jesus is known as a respected prophet, Muhammad is known as the most respected prophet.

As you can see here, the 3 biggest religions in the world all believe that Jesus existed. But differ on his actions and destiny.

Back to the topic of this post, I would argue that Jesus was an INFJ, not an INFP. The main difference here is the utilization of "Fe" over "Fi". Fe is primarily focused around external ethics, while Fi is focused on inner morals that come from within.
The morals Jesus taught others did not come from him, but from the Old Testament. If Jesus was an INFP, his morals would come from his own experiences, rather than teachings professed hundreds to thousands of years ago.
Also, while Jesus was scared about the cruelty and pain of his upcoming death, he went on with it anyway to prove he is the embodiment of Christ.

I'm not stating an INFP can't sacrifice themselves for the sake of principles, but I find it more plausible for an INFJ to do so. Since I believe Jesus was an INFJ, I think his dominant Ni allowed him to push through the fear and the pain. His introverted intuition and introverted thinking came to the conclusion that the only way to convince everyone is if he died on the cross, then come back from the dead. But his auxillary Fe did all of this because of his external code of ethics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back to the topic of this post, I would argue that Jesus was an INFJ, not an INFP. The main difference here is the utilization of "Fe" over "Fi". Fe is primarily focused around external ethics, while Fi is focused on inner morals that come from within.
The morals Jesus taught others did not come from him, but from the Old Testament. If Jesus was an INFP, his morals would come from his own experiences, rather than teachings professed hundreds to thousands of years ago.
Also, while Jesus was scared about the cruelty and pain of his upcoming death, he went on with it anyway to prove he is the embodiment of Christ.

I'm not stating an INFP can't sacrifice themselves for the sake of principles, but I find it more plausible for an INFJ to do so. Since I believe Jesus was an INFJ, I think his dominant Ni allowed him to push through the fear and the pain. His introverted intuition and introverted thinking came to the conclusion that the only way to convince everyone is if he died on the cross, then come back from the dead. But his auxillary Fe did all of this because of his external code of ethics.
*Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my first language.

Jesus is the torah incarnate, he is the voice in Genesis.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

Introverted feeling does not mean creating a new morality. There are INFP who are Christians.

An INFP may either want to feel what it is like to be a prostitute, or they may want to feel what it feels like to be a puritan. They feel it and make decisions from it.

How many famous INFJs do you know who have sacrificed themselves for their values?
They usually meet with a group and promote social harmony, but have no ideas of sacrifice.

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
197 Posts
*Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my first language.

Jesus is the torah incarnate, he is the voice in Genesis.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

Introverted feeling does not mean creating a new morality. There are INFP who are Christians.

An INFP may either want to feel what it is like to be a prostitute, or they may want to feel what it feels like to be a puritan. They feel it and make decisions from it.

How many famous INFJs do you know who have sacrificed themselves for their values?
They usually meet with a group and promote social harmony, but have no ideas of sacrifice.
Your English is just fine, don't worry.

Now, its been a while since I've read the Bible, so please go easy on me lol.

I primarily grew up with the teaching of the "Holy Trinity", as in the "father (God)", "son (Jesus himself)" and the "Holy Spirit (the Spirit in all of us)". Jesus is one with God, but as a trinity, not as a single entity. So the ethics Jesus taught didn't primarily come from him, but from his "father". He seperates himself from his father numerous times in the New Testament, and would pray to him frequently in times of weakness.
Arguably, God sent Jesus not to simply teach the commandments, but to fufill them, and to serve as the shining example of what an individual should strive to be. Jesus obeyed ethics that his father created, and instead did not create them, but focused on fufilling those tenants, no matter the cost to himself and to his allies.

In regards to your comment on there being INFP Christians, there are certainly Christians of every personality type. I don't believe I stated that INFPs can't be Christians. Where personality potentially comes in, can influence how and why people adopt Christianity. You made a really good point for how INFPs potentially adopt Christianity, "they feel it and make decisions from it". For me (an INFJ), for me to believe any belief system, it has to have a consistent internal logic to draw from. I don't care so much on how it makes me "feel", but rather, if it is true or not.

On the question of sacrifice, If we are going by cognitive functions, then an INFJ is more likely to sacrifice him/herself on principle than an INFP. We can see this by looking at the cognitive functions for each.

The two top functions for an INFJ is introverted intuition and extroverted feeling. This means that an INFJ has a worldview that everything must fit into, and this worldview primarily serves to bind the ethics of other people. Introverted intuition is commonly associated with willpower, because Ni is primarily focused on a single objective.
So even if an INFJ has to overcome many obstacles to reach their end-goals, you'll be surprised what INFJs are willing to sacrifice in order to fufill their dominant Ni. Their entire perspective of the world is bound to their vision through Ni. This can lead to great advances in humanity such as Jesus Christ and his scarifice, or great humanitarian disasters such as Adolf Hitler and the Holocaust. INFJs can be so driven through the Ni tunnel-vision, they will lose life and limb to obtain their goals, if they believe strongly enough in that principle.

The top functions for an INFP are Introverted Feeling and Extroverted Intuition. An INFP (Due to their use of Fi) has a very strong and unbreakeable moral compass, that is usually derived from their own experiences. Because of Ne, INFPs are often considering many of the possibilities of the perspectives around them. This can lead INFPs to be some of the most ethically brilliant people on Earth, and are often the root cause of many ethics-based systems that we use today.

INFJs are often accused of having tunnel vision, and have trouble percieving all of the other options and possibilities outside of their worldview or vision. Jesus saw no other choice (no matter how scared he was) and he still stood tall regardless. He was so sure of his beliefs, he would outright challenge others, and deny some of leading authority figures of his era. Jesus never really considered any other possibilities, and instead, judged everyone on based on the commandments in the Bible, and served as an example to how the commandments are to be properly utilized.

I believe if Jesus was an INFP, he would try to consider all of the other perspectives, and would have more trouble implementing the worldview of the Torah, and making concrete changes. You could argue that a well-developed INFP could certainly be able to do these things, and I would agree with you.

But I feel the evidence most strongly correlates with Jesus being an INFJ.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
INFJ. Wanting to start a social movement that actively involves other people is a very Fe thing in my mind.

For an INFP moral philosopher of the time, look to Epicurus. I believe he was one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jesus Christ was a real individual, even the most harcore atheist speakers will have no problem admitting he existed due to the overwhelming evidence in that direction.
Where the various religions differ (primarily Judaism, Christianity and Islam), is the role Jesus played in the grander scale of things. But all of them fundamentally agreed that Jesus existed.

In Judaism, Jesus is primarily seen as a fraud, and Judaism subscribes strictly to the Old Testament teachings, and ignores the New Testament. Jesus died on the crucifix and never was revived.

In Christianity, Jesus is the main reason why people were redeemed in the eyes of God. The whole religion of Christianity refers to the redemption of humanity through the crucifixion of Christ, giving everyone a chance.

In Islam, Jesus was seen as an ordinary prophet. The main difference here is that he never died from his crucifixion as he was rescued by Allah. While Jesus is known as a respected prophet, Muhammad is known as the most respected prophet.

As you can see here, the 3 biggest religions in the world all believe that Jesus existed. But differ on his actions and destiny.

·
Registered
ISFP
1,755 Posts
The religion of islam is the equivalent of a harry potter fan-fiction written centuries later that goes on to say harry potter wasn’t an important character.

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
197 Posts
The religion of islam is the equivalent of a harry potter fan-fiction written centuries later that goes on to say harry potter wasn’t an important character.
Not trying to debate religion here, but I absolutely agree lol

·
Registered
ISFP
1,755 Posts
You're very misinformed. Jesus was a real person he just wasn't the son of God. I'm Atheist btw.
The Lord of Heavenly Hosts spoke to Elijah and Moses, though living in completely different eras, simultaneously on the mount of Olives before having been born on Earth. Matthew 17:3

Three wealthy men, suspected to be magi of persian descent, followed a star from outer space to ultimately find the birthplace of the Son of God. Matthew 2:1-12

The bible talks about each star being unique, before the telescope was invented. 1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:41

The bible talks about space travel. Obadiah‬ ‭1:4

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
197 Posts
The Lord of Heavenly Hosts spoke to Elijah and Moses, though living in completely different eras, simultaneously on the mount of Olives before having been born on Earth. Matthew 17:3

Three wealthy men, suspected to be magi of persian descent, followed a star from outer space to ultimately find the birthplace of the Son of God. Matthew 2:1-12

The bible talks about each star being unique, before the telescope was invented. 1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:41

Again dude, I don't think this is the best place to debate theology. OP just wanted to know if Jesus was an INFJ or INFP (regardless if you believe that Jesus was the Son of God or not).
If we want to have a debate on theology, we can make a seperate thread.

I just think we should stay on topic here.

·
Registered
ISFJ
145 Posts

I'm confused on why you responded to me. I never mentioned any of this and I don't think right now is the right time to do it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
are you guys seriously trying to type GOD / Son of GOD?
seriously?
it's not like He is another movie character you're talking about. it's out of any frame or typology in our small minds.

lol...

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
197 Posts
are you guys seriously trying to type GOD / Son of GOD?
seriously?
it's not like He is another movie character you're talking about. it's out of any frame or typology in our small minds.

lol...
Who says?
Wasn't the whole point of Jesus (in the Bible) is that he takes on the traits of man (alongside all of their flaws), and yet, fufills the commandments sent down by God to the best degree possible? It proves to ordinary people that fufillment through Christ is possible. The only way to prove that to ordinary people, was to have Jesus take on the sins of humanity (in his body, mind, and mortality), and yet, have the strength through God to fufill the texts.
The Old Testament was all about providing the foundation of Christianity through strict rules and harsh punishment (most civilizations were similar in that time period, or much worse), while the New Testament still provided the same moral philosophy, it was made much more applicable through ordinary people and more flexible as a result. The major reason for that was Jesus, who is by all intensive purposes, a man, who again, fufills the testaments to the best degree possible while having every obstacle and trial a normal man faces.

If Jesus was a man, is it possible to try and at least hypothesize what his personality was like, or at least debate about it?
Then again, I'm no religious scholar, so I could be completely wrong.

And besides, there are some people here who don't believe that Jesus was the Son of God at all, yet fully believe that he did indeed exist. What about them?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
To my human mind I see characteristics of various personality types on the surface, especially NF but in the big picture I don't think any of the types apply to Jesus. I believe that Jesus is beyond personality types because He is God in human form. Both man & God. I mean, we're mortals who process information through brains which were created by God who is the alpha & omega of time itself so our human-based MBPTI can only describe how we perceive Jesus as humans. Here's a (crude) analogy: My dog looks at me & wonders if I'm part cat or part dog because that's his world. It's how he's wired.

·
Registered
ISFP
1,755 Posts
If Jesus was a man, is it possible to try and at least hypothesize what his personality was like, or at least debate about it?
Then again, I'm no religious scholar, so I could be completely wrong.

And besides, there are some people here who don't believe that Jesus was the Son of God at all, yet fully believe that he did indeed exist. What about them?
What is logical is irrelevant here. The bible isn’t written with MBTI in mind, it was written for greater purposes.

You’re trying to type a greater being. You’ll have a better chance typing Shiva or Sobek.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts