Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He basically said that types who don't share any letters other than S or N are ideal matches. So:

ISTJ - ESFP
ESTJ - ISFP
ESFJ - ISTP
ISFJ - ESTP
INTP - ENFJ
ENTP - INFJ
INFP - ENTJ
ENFP - INTJ

To be honest, this seems like it could work out pretty well to me. I know that anyone can match with anyone, but for the sake of discussion, do you think that these matches are accurate, or would you have a different list?

·
Registered
449 Posts
(This is just my experience, im not speaking for the whole INTP community, nor am I talking about the whole ENFJ community.)

In my experience, a lot of ENFJs that I meet are nice, and they're fine people, but it's just a lot that I meet seem...naive, and in romantic relationships seem to like to play love games. I'm not a fan of them (love games) to be honest, I think they would kinda piss me off. And I'm usually a pretty chill person. Also (again, im not speaking for the whole ISFJ and ESTP communities) most ISFJs and ESTPs that I know don't really like each other. In fact, I get along (and flirted with) an ISFJ more than ENFJs.

No, it's really quite moronic in my opinion. Whoever you successfully romantically align yourself to will not depend on personality, it's going to depend on just whether you like the person or not. Bottom line. There might be some natural chemistry among similar types, but I don't think an S-N divide is in the mix at all.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
He basically said that types who don't share any letters other than S or N are ideal matches. So:

ISTJ - ESFP
ESTJ - ISFP
ESFJ - ISTP
ISFJ - ESTP
INTP - ENFJ
ENTP - INFJ
INFP - ENTJ
ENFP - INTJ

To be honest, this seems like it could work out pretty well to me. I know that anyone can match with anyone, but for the sake of discussion, do you think that these matches are accurate, or would you have a different list?
A better question might be this:

Are introverted people, as Keirsey interprets such a thing, best matched with extroverted people as a general rule, all other things excluded?
Are free/forward thinking people, as Keirsey interprets such a thing, best matched with other free/forward thinking people as a general rule, all other things excluded?
Are people who are more inclined to follow logic, as Keirsey interprets such a thing, best matched with people who tend to follow feelings as a general rule, all other things excluded?
Are planned/orderly people, as Keirsey interprets such a thing, best matched with impulsive/disorderly people as a general rule, all other things excluded?

The list you cite is just the logical derivation of Keirsey's assertion that all the above questions should be answered 'yes'. If any of the above questions should not be answered 'yes', unequivocally, then the answer to your question is either 'no', or deserves a more nuanced answer.

---

If you ask me personally, I think that, all other things being excluded, it is probably a good thing to pair with someone who will balance you out in terms of sociality, impulsiveness, and the predominance of feeling/logic in your thought process. Sure! Also, it stands to reason that a forward thinker would probably do better with a forward thinker, and vice versa.

However, once you allow the absolute cacophony of other factors rush back into the equation, all hell breaks loose and the question, in any particular case, is anything but clear.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Jung said it too. There's an allure when a sensor meets and intuitive, etc.

I thoroughly disagree with it. My lifestyle for enjoying quiet alone time, being annoyed by people who think housekeeping has an importance to life, desiring deep intuition based discussions, all mean I'm most comfortable with someone who has the same interests as these. So a fellow IN is my best match.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I happen to like an ENFP man. He's warm, friendly, and intelligent. However, the main problem I have with ENFP's is that they flirt with everyone. This gives me a lot of mixed messages. Even when people flirt with me, I admit that I can get pretty pissed off especially if I feel like the conversation is going nowhere.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I'm in a relationship with an ENTJ man and it's amazing.
It's not perfect but nothing ever is and perfection is empty and tedious.

He's intelligent, organized, passionate, intense, hilarious, understanding, focused, independent and protective in a way that supports my own strength, independence and growth. He loves extroverted settings like parties and concerts, I'm extremely introverted and hardly leave my house if not on solitary adventures and to follow my inspiration and feelings.

We see the world in different ways that make sense to each other and offer new perspectives and insight.

He helps me rationalize and structure my thoughts and gives me balance and motivation to actively fix myself and go for what I want rather than just dreaming. I help him understand his emotions, take a break from life, soothe his fears.

That said, I don't believe there's a standard ideal personality match for every person sharing a type.
You fall in love with an individual for everything they specifically are, not because of their functional stack.

It's generalizing.

Some patterns might be stronger than others but I know of many successful ENFP/INFP relationships.
Deeply private matters like love can't be regulated by a theory because it's up to the people involved.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've never met an ENTJ who didn't annoy the crap out of me. Maybe that's just me, and maybe I've just known some crappy ENTJs. I couldn't see myself in a relationship with an ENTJ.

·
Registered
655 Posts
i don't know if he's "correct" but for myself, no, i don't think i would ever be drawn to an ENTJ. i highly prefer other introverts, and i tend to like people more similar to me, than opposite, which is why i've dated mostly feeling perceivers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Having grown up with an ESTJ as a mother, I would never date another ESTJ. They're far too overbearing for this ISFP.
It's ok. I'm not a fan of ISFPs either. Honestly, I feel like the ESTJ would need to be incredibly mature and have a well-developed feeling side to get along with a feeler at all.

I've mostly seen ESTJs matched with ISTPs or INTPs. My best friend in high school was an ISTP, and as far as types are concerned, I could see that working. We had an incredibly easy relationship. My ex-boyfriend is an INTP, so I don't disagree with that pairing either.

Personally, I'm a fan of NTs. This is probably shaped by my family. Both my parents (and a few of my aunts/uncles and cousins) are NTs. Like I mentioned, my ex is an INTP. I once had a crush on an ENTP. And I'm currently with an INTJ.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Personally I think speculating about "romantic matchings" is ultimately futile because there are way too many variables. While the idea of finding a romantic partner to "balance" you out, how would an ENTJ balance me out more than an INFJ, the type of my current SO, who uses completely different functions than I do?

I can't identify any ENTJs in my life so I honestly don't know how well I would get along with one. In theory I could see us getting along but I can also see there being some problems. *shrug* I'm happy with who I'm with.

I can at least agree that planned/orderly people might be best matched with unplanned/disorderly people. I think that even though the orderly person might get frustrated with a less orderly person, they'd find it less annoying than another structured person who wants to organize things in a different way.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
According to this I'm an ENTJ, then.
I seem to be particularly attracted by INFPs (not just in a romantic sense).

But, heh, I am an ENTP, and I do like INFJs, but I don't feel particularly drawn to them, or at least not as much as I feel drawn to INFPs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find ESTJs to be too much. My mother and one of my roommates are ESTJ. I wouldn't be able to be romantically involved with one. I could see INFJ or INFP to be a better match for me personally. A lot of my friends are/have been INFJ. Currently my boyfriend is an INFP. So far we go together better than anyone I have dated. I think I help him be better grounded in reality and get out and do things. He also forgets to eat. I enjoy cooking and food in general so he never misses a meal when I'm around. :tongue: We are also very creative people and like to bounce ideas off one another. Neither of us like being controlled or controlling each other but we're mature enough to bring up problems in our relationship and work it out. I could go on but I feel like I would just be ranting for no reason at all.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I cannot see myself with an introvert (unless it was a very mild case of introversion), I'd probably get frustrated quite fast. I also don't know if I could function with a Sensor either, would of course depend a lot but I live for deep late night conversations about absolutely anything intriguing so if they were capable of that, sure. But generally I'd say that an ideal for me would be ENXX.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm in a relationship with an ENTJ man and it's amazing.
It's not perfect but nothing ever is and perfection is empty and tedious.

He's intelligent, organized, passionate, intense, hilarious, understanding, focused, independent and protective in a way that supports my own strength, independence and growth. He loves extroverted settings like parties and concerts, I'm extremely introverted and hardly leave my house if not on solitary adventures and to follow my inspiration and feelings.

We see the world in different ways that make sense to each other and offer new perspectives and insight.

He helps me rationalize and structure my thoughts and gives me balance and motivation to actively fix myself and go for what I want rather than just dreaming. I help him understand his emotions, take a break from life, soothe his fears.

That said, I don't believe there's a standard ideal personality match for every person sharing a type.
You fall in love with an individual for everything they specifically are, not because of their functional stack.

It's generalizing.

Some patterns might be stronger than others but I know of many successful ENFP/INFP relationships.
Deeply private matters like love can't be regulated by a theory because it's up to the people involved.
Just curious,... are you still in that relationship with the ENTJ?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Disregarding Jungian-based theories entirely, modern psychology's best bet is that our greatest romantic compatibility is with people similar to us in the arenas we consider most important. Like attracts like. People tend to stay with those who are on the same basic levels of general intelligence and physical attractiveness, who share their most valued principles, etc. So if it's important to you to be understood on a cognitive-functioning level, you'll probably tend to fall for people who share your cognitive functions.

On a personal note, I'm INFJ, so that would make my ideal match ENTP, right? Ne-doms tire me OUT; I can only handle that function in small doses.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I'd love to see a poll, but there'd be way too many options to make it practical. There's so many other aspects to a person aside from their MBTI type that it's less than a perfect way to tell.

I wish I could have typed more of my exes...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts